• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What used to be extra and unimaginable options are now standard equipment

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I think the American brands are the only ones with complicated options. Some stuff are options, some are packages, some are options but need a package first. Toyota is a little better with a bunch of package option levels. I think the Korean and Japanese cars don't have any options. Just a few trim levels. That's really nice when trying to figure out what comes with the car.
That's one way to look at it, I don't think having my choices narrowed or made for me is a bonus. Many countries don't give their citizens the right to make their own choices. The car companies do it because it's easiest for them, just like Ford's packages.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
All of the new trucks I bought were from the inventory sitting on the dealer lot. That's why I liked how what I wanted were all in one package, and it was listed on the window sticker making things easier (seems I remember "options package 864A" maybe ???).

Now, if I were ordering a truck with specific options, I can see running into problems where some things weren't available in certain combinations. Likely, because it wasn't accommodated by the production planning process. I wouldn't be happy, either, in that case.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
That's one way to look at it, I don't think having my choices narrowed or made for me is a bonus. Many countries don't give their citizens the right to make their own choices. The car companies do it because it's easiest for them, just like Ford's packages.
The annoying part is trying to add 360 camera for example. Click the option for $500 camera, but wait you have to add x or y package. Choose one but wait, you have to get rid of z package and replace with w package. It takes quite some time to figure out the cheapest way to get the options you want.

I find predecided packages with no addons preferable to that. Of course I’d rather everything be alacart.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The annoying part is trying to add 360 camera for example. Click the option for $500 camera, but wait you have to add x or y package. Choose one but wait, you have to get rid of z package and replace with w package. It takes quite some time to figure out the cheapest way to get the options you want.

I find predecided packages with no addons preferable to that. Of course I’d rather everything be alacart.
I'd rather order individual options, too but we'll never see that again, it's all about what's easiest for the assembly plants.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
When I got my 2020 Ranger I purposely got an STX, not just to save money but I didn't want the extra electronics included in the XLT.
Carpeting would be nice but I can live without it. I had two Sport Tracs before and they don't come with carpeting in any trim level.
Carpet is a separate option but if you got an STX with optional carpeting then you essentially have an XLT without the extra electronic gizmos since the STX gets you fog lights, wheels, cruise, and the XLT seats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals