• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Transmissions

Rocketlegs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi so I have a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT regular cab short bed 2wd with the 4.0l with a manual trans. I was wanting to know what year trucks can I take a trans from to replace mine and what trans it is for the future. Thank You.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You should have the m5od-r1 transmission. You can only use a transmission from another 2wd 2.9 or 4.0 truck. 4x4 or different engine will not fit.

But the m5od was used from 1988 all the way to 2011 so it's not rare, however the best match will be from a 1992-2000 4.0ohv 2wd truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

You can only use an M5OD-R1 model transmission from a 4.0l 2WD Ranger or Mazda B4000 2WD, 1990-1997
In 1998 and up the M5OD-R1 did not have a speedometer cable hook up which you need in a 1994

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) has a one piece case so bellhousing does not come off like older manual transmissions, so each M5R1 is made for a specific engine
And the 2WD and 4x4 transmissions have different length tail shafts and housings so also not interchangeable

If push comes to shove you could remove your tail shaft housing and speedometer drive gear to use on a 1998-2011 4.0l M5R1, 2WD transmission, but never tried it myself, not sure if the speedometer drive gear can be used on 1998-2011 tail shafts, the housing will fit, just not sure about the drive gear
If you get a 2001-2011 M5R1 make sure to get the shifter with it, as they are different from 2000 and older

Rocketlegs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the welcome. And just to clarify, I can only use a trans out of a truck that has a 4.0?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea the bell housings are not removable like on most other manual transmissions so your stuck. 2.9's share the same bell housing but i think the m5od is rare behind them.

Rocketlegs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate all the help. i bought my truck and knew something was wrong with the 4th gear. when i got the truck i realizes that i would no go into 4th at all. How har is it to rebuild on of these?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go here first to see what a used 4.0l 2wd M5R1 goes for in your area: car-part.com

The M5R1s were a good transmission very few failures, so a used one is not a bad gamble

If you have rebuilt a manual transmission before and have some of the tools needed then its just a step by step process
There is no specialized knowledge required, just some common sense and good internet connection to watch videos or read "rebuild threads" and manuals
Price out a rebuild kit and a few gears with it, you never know, lol
Then compare to used price and your confidence on doing a rebuild

Rocketlegs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What is the process of taking it out. I have dropped my dads trans out of his 97 gmc i couple of times so i have a idea. Just want to see if you guys have any tips for me.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to drop/remove the exhaust "Y" pipe, exhaust bolts can be a REAL PAIN IN THE A$$ to get off

So I would first stop by an exhaust shop, if you can still drive it, and ask them "how much" to loosen the header pipes and Cat pipe, and replace any bolts as needed
Just tell them what you are doing, offer to pay CASH
They do this daily and have all the tools and replacement bolts, it will take them longer to get it on the lift that to do the work, lol, 15min job if that
It might take you 1 to 6 hours depending on how far away parts store is

Have a floor jack(has wheels) for transmission, and a bottle or scissor jack with block of wood to support the back of the engine, which is what the transmission is doing now
Long socket extensions, X 2, yes that long, lol
disconnect battery!!!!!!!
disconnect hydraulic clutch hose at the slave, its called a "quick disconnect" fitting, read up on it, can be anything but "quick", lol
disconnect O2 sensor plugs, connectors are at top back of engine bay, LABEL at least one set of connectors, there are 2 sets, I had a shop reverse O2 connectors, was a real pain to diagnose that one

remove exhaust, starter motor, drop drive shaft, and you are ready to go

Rocketlegs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the info. This will help me a crap ton when it comes time to do it. What im going to do is get a trans from my local LKQ and set this one back as a replacement after I get it rebuilt.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Things to do on used M5R1 transmission
Replace the 3 rubber plugs on the back of shifter housing, they leak, article here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/shift_rail_plug_maintenance.shtml

These use ATF, yes automatic transmission fluid in a Manual transmission
Drain the used one
refill with it sitting flat on the ground, it holds 2.8quarts BONE dry, some like synthetic over Mercon V, users choice

You can replace the rear drive shaft seal while its out, not an expensive part, and if trans has been sitting out for awhile it would be dried out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals