• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What transmission comes in an automatic 2000 3.0L V6 Ranger?

Bnayes1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
You want the harness off the 4.0 engine.

Assuming you have a donor '99 4.0, automatic, 4WD, and are installing into a truck with 3.0, automatic. Also, assuming you have keys for the 4.0.

Starting with the easiest and working our way along. The a to z of the swap.
a. remove lock cylinders from the doors from donor.
b. insert key into steering column barrel, push screwdriver (phillips or robertson) into hole in steering column and remove barrel - its twist and pull.
c. disconnect battery
d. disconnect alternator
e. open the glove box door completely and undo the passenger's airbag (couple nuts and wiring connector). Then undo the PATS module from behind the passengers airbag, again couple nuts add wiring connector.
f. undo the wiring connector from the PCM on the passenger's side of the engine bay, then undo and pull the PCM.
g. undo the wiring connector to the cab on the engine driver's side.
h. undo throttle/ cruise cables.
i. undo the front and rear driveshafts
j. depressure a/c and remove a/c condensor
k. pull the rad, I also like to remove the fan for more room.
l. disconnect starter
m. disconnect the fuel line
n. unclip the transmission shifter
o. undo the transmission lines.
p. unbolt the engine mounts.
q. unbolt the transmission mount and remove, disconnect transfer case shifter (wire if electric, shifter if manual)
r. unbolt the exhaust at catalytic converter outlet (this is usually grinder/sawzall operation for me, but sometimes I remember to take truck to muffler shop and get them to do it).
s. disconnect the power steering pump from engine brackets
t. check for anything still connected
u. check for anything still connected
v. check for anything still connected
w. pull engine, transmission and transfer case. (if you split the transmission from the transfer case, a couple liters of oil will pour out, and it will continue to pour out as your remove the engine.
x. repeat on existing 3.0 truck
y. reverse for re-install
z. sit back and enjoy beverage of choice, you've earned it.
And I do have the keys for both trucks...the one with the 4.0 the body bis shot on..99 with the 3.0 is near perfect

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals