• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to Look For When Buying Used Rear Axle?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
4.10's will help get your power back but I wouldn't spend an extra nickel to get 31 spline axles for a 2.5 truck. Traction Lok will help in snow or poor traction but when it breaks loose it will want to slide sideways.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is there a way at the salvage yard to know if the pinion bearings are bad?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They will have an educated guess but will not be entirely sure. The is always a chance it will be bad.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rotate the pinion flange. Note any noises, leakage from the seal, write it off if it has any in/out/side to side movement (it should ONLY turn.) You can also determine wear by turning the pinion back and forth just a hair, you will be able to feel what I would describe as a soft "clunk" which is the backlash between the ring and pinion. There should not be much rotational distance, if you feel like you're turning the pinion quite a ways before you feel the "clunk", there is probably a good deal of wear/lots of miles on it.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I picked up the 8.8 31-spline axle (code V313L) for $150 and it seems to be in good shape. It's not bent, there are no broken teeth, the pinion flange only rotates (no in/out/side movement), and everything rotates smoothly. All that I've done so far is drain the gear oil and remove the drum brakes, but I'd like to replace the axle shaft seals and bearings, replace the drums with disc brakes, replace the brake lines (some are pinched/compressed), and possibly replace the pinion bearing and seals. I've watched some videos on how to change the 8.8 axle bearings and seals, but none of them have the same internals as my differential (there is no cylindrical cross pin to remove after removing the cross pin bolt in my differential). I'm also a first-time mechanic so all of this work will be brand new to me.
1. How do I remove the axles to change the shaft bearings and seals, since there is no cylindrical cross pin to slide out after removing the bolt?
2. Is it worth trying to replace pinion bearing and seals, or should I just leave it alone?
3. Is it worth trying to change the brakes from drum to disc?
4. When refilling the differential, can I pour the gear oil directly into the uncovered differential and then just replace the cover, or do I need to first replace the cover and only fill it from the fill plug?

Axle 2004 FX4 Level 2 V313L.jpgAxle Differential Cover and Tags.jpgAxle Label V313L.jpgAxle Brake Plate Rear.jpgAxle Brake Plate Front.jpgAxle Differential Cross Pin Bolt.jpgAxle Differential Opposite Side of Cross Pin Bolt.jpgBrake Line Damage.jpg

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That sticker isn't the axle code, that's some factory code that means nothing to normal people... The two tags on the diff cover bolts, one of them should say something like 4L10 88 on the lower row. I'm going to guess this is from a FX4 Level II Ranger? If so, those are somewhat of a rare breed and I'm not sure what you can do to the brakes, you might be able to put on Explorer discs which would be coming up with the backing plates, all brake lines and hardware and while you're there grab two passenger side soft lines, then go to a auto parts store and get two brake line fittings and cut the factory hard line where the Ranger line meets in the middle then flare both ends with the new nuts...

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes it's from a 2004 FX4 level 2 Ranger.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
If your planning on maintenance free driving for a while and you have the time and money, use all new bearings/seals, fluid and brakes.

In regards to changing to disk brakes, depending on the intended use, you may not realise the difference, whereas when I changed from 9" drums to the 10" drums, it made a HUGE difference. By the same token, I despise drum brakes and I'm excited that it is do simple toadd them ..)

Only service it when properly installed through the service port.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Should I also try to replace the pinion bearing and seals while the axle is out, or is that just asking for trouble? I don't think that the pinion seal was leaking and there is no wobble in the pinion flange, but the axle does have 300k miles and I don't know if any work has been done on it. Again, I am a completely first-time mechanic and this work is all new (and daunting) to me, but I'm willing to learn and put in the work to make improvements.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Rotate the pinion flange. Note any noises, leakage from the seal, write it off if it has any in/out/side to side movement (it should ONLY turn.) You can also determine wear by turning the pinion back and forth just a hair, you will be able to feel what I would describe as a soft "clunk" which is the backlash between the ring and pinion. There should not be much rotational distance, if you feel like you're turning the pinion quite a ways before you feel the "clunk", there is probably a good deal of wear/lots of miles on it.
Also, prior to removing the brake drums, the pinion flange made a soft clunk and stopped when I rotated it back and forth. Now the pinion flange and axle shafts can both rotate freely (with no clunk) after removing the brake drums. This is normal?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's most likely normal.

That rear end has the bigger 10 inch drum brakes... personally I wouldn't change them to disc. I would take a good look at the brakes and replace what needs to be replaced.

If that pinion seal isn't leaking... I would run it. It can be changed easy enough when installed in the truck. Before venturing into the pinion seal... educate your self. If you do it wrong it will ruin your day.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It’s the best time to replace all the bearings, pinion and carrier included. I would replace them, but I’ve done it before and have all the tools

The pinion and carrier bearings are press fit. So it is a PITA to replace without a press and special bearing puller.

you could probably pull the carrier and pin and bring them to a shop to do the bearings.

The last concern would be that changing the bearings would mess up the gear lash and contact patch. This will cause excessive wear on the gears.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you replace the pinion bearing, you may need to reset the back lash and tooth engagement.

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What would be a fair price to have the carrier bearing, pinion bearing, and pinion seal replaced on this axle? I was just quoted $850 by a local shop and that seems high to me, especially since the axle is already removed from the vehicle and the oil is drained.
2004 Ranger Axle Front.jpg

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Local shop quoted me $500 a number of years back to do the same work you are requesting; as a result, I am running the same bearings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals