• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to Look For When Buying Used Rear Axle?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It’s kinda a pita to do, what’s the book time?

You are probably looking at a couple hundred bucks for bearings and seals. $500 labor doesn’t sound too bad, probably take most of a day if you don’t do it very often.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, to do it right is a pain in the rear, doing it right basically you have to reset the gears... Are you just wanting to do it since it's out? Was it gross when you got it? If it wasn't leaking and you aren't changing gear ratios just leave it, if you want to get crazy change the outer seals and maybe bearings and just call it good... My V8 explorer has been abused to the point of the spider gears stripping out and relying on the viscous clutch on the front output of the transfer case when I got it at 206k miles and was driven hard enough to bend the hitch down noticeably and completely destroy the transmission (every internal component was replaced, it was BAD, should have gotten a core...). I simply replaced the spider gears and shimmed up the L/S and added 2 quarts of gear oil (I kept forgetting to add the extra 1.5 quarts...) then drove it for 40k miles... I figured it'd give out a long time ago but it keeps going somehow... heck I've been using it to tow my 3500lb boat...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the pinion seal is just leaking a little, mark the nut and pinion with a sharpie or paint pin, remove the pinion nut, pry the seal out, put a new seal in, put some loctite on the nut (probably red) then tighten back to where the marks meet and call it good.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Replacing a lot of parts in the axle is always going to be very labor and time intensive with multiple installs and removals to get gear engagement and backlash right. $800 is not an unreasonable quote considering the job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals