• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to buy?

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys you have inspired me to wanna buy an R/C.:yahoo: I know nothing about them, couldn't tell you the first thing to look for. So my question is what should I get, I want something as fast as possible:headbang:, four wheel drive, easy to work on, not hard to find parts for, and alot of fun. Just more or less something to play with in the ally with my son. Eventually maybe I will get into it a little bit more but for now wanna find my first one. I am willing to spend around $250.00 max on this for now, so what am I looking for something with good frequency, good motor, good drive, and good suspension. Any ideas are a great help, figured I would be in good hands coming to you guys. THANKS for any and all help and ideas...:icon_thumby::icon_cheers:

Shwack10

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's kind of hard to find a truck in the $250 range unless you buy a used one. The Traxxas Stampede 4x4 is an good truck, they're $400 + though. A 1/16 Revo or Summit would be good too, they're about $ 300 + if you want to spend a little more. Look on ebay or a RC forum and check the for sale section for used RC's, like an emaxx or stampede.

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I love my sc10 its about $300 for the brushless 2wd but there is a 4wd version, But I also love my revo but thats about $500. If you go with the short course truck its great fun more realistic and can take a beating. I would go with Electric for starters cause its les of a pain in the rear more of a plug and play type deal vs nitro. Go to your local hobby shop and ask questions they've been alot of help for me when I needed answers or help.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
It also depends on what type of terrain you have around the house. If there is a lot of wide open spaces, I suggest that you get a road vehicle. Then you have to make a decision between electric or nitro. The new electric systems are just as fast as nitro. My graduation project will do 40 mph.

TwistedSmitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
you could alway go for a sc18 or a rc18. There are a few upgrade options. I would say look for a scx10 rtr or a wraith. Both killer to start with scx10 isn't super fast but nothing a little upgrade can't take care of. It is expensive to get started in this hobby I found that out:bawling:. But it is fun and somthing that will give you more time with you kid.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buy a used Emaxx and upgrade it .now this is going to sound like its not a good truck,it is ,its just R/C stuff is kind of flimsy and the more fun you are having the more stuff breaks so the opportunity to upgrade is there alot! mine has a new frame ,f100 body and brushless motor ,stock it went 18-20 now it goes about 38-40 .but if you think you and son might want to join organized racing get a buggy RC10 as the big trucks are cool bashers not racers

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Alright so I was looking around a bit at the ideas you guys gave me, I have come to the conclusion that I like the Revo, but a little pricey :dunno:. It is along the lines of what I am looking for though :headbang:, I want a truck, not a car something with a little ground clearance, possibly 4x4, decently fast and that can take a beating (sort of like my Ranger). I live in an ally, but their are tons of places to take it around here, some dirt, stones, grass, pavement, pretty much anywhere. The sc10 and scx10 aren't really my style, sorry. What might be an older model of the Revo that is good and a little cheaper. If I go to get one used what should I be looking for as to any issues with the motor or suspension and so on, also what kind of range or GHz do I want. IDK I am kind of confused. I will stop bugging you guys, but before I do whats better Traxxas or emaxx. As always THANKS for the help...:icon_thumby: :icon_cheers:

TwistedSmitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The emaxx is made by traxxas. What you need to find is a dsm radio. You won't get the interferance that you can with radio with crystals. some of the stock Traxxas radios are dsm. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR3160. Here is a good radio for a decent price. And you will get more range. Really the range differs on each radio.

Last edited:

03Fx4MN

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Since u like the revo might I suggest the summit it is built off the revo platform suspension, frame and some things were changed like the bumpers and body and a locking differential was added

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you should get a stadium truck as your first vehicle. You won't be disappointed with the power - I have one of the newer Bandits and I use it more than my 1/16 brushless Revo just because the Revo is stupid, stupid fast. I cannot even give it full throttle from a dead stop - it backflips like crazy, like a cartoon. The stadium truck will be able to jump off things you would think are impossible, and will charge through bad terrain better than you'd expect, too. You want durability, ease of use, and low cost, right? Get good batteries, and get a good charging setup, and learn how to care for the batteries and take good care of them. As far as what truck, that's up to you. I suggest a Traxxas Rustler or Stampede, or whichever model from whichever company looks best to you, they're all pretty good trucks these days, and are the best "bashers" you'll find.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Since u like the revo might I suggest the summit it is built off the revo platform suspension, frame and some things were changed like the bumpers and body and a locking differential was added
This.

The Summit has two selectable locking diffs, and a two-speed (Hi & Lo) transmission for go-fast bashing, or for rock crawling (all controlled via the radio). The exterior plastic cage on the body is extremely durable too (though a little heavy). It's allowed the body on mine to outlast my E-Maxx's body 10× over.

Maybe check Ebay or Craigslist. I've occasionally seen used ones pop up there. Would save some $$$ over buying it new.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest buying any Traxxis product. Can't go wrong with anything they make.

cman24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the scx10 trail honcho RTR truck got it for 290 and i love it they are great for trails or crawling

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i used to like going fast, but you break too many things... get a wraith. 4x4, good speed, 2.4 radio, locked front and rear, easy to upgrade, tough as shit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals