• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what temp thermostat, 180, 190, or 195?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
since the thermostat is located low in the block I bought the 180. plus nobody local had the 195 in stock. its a 2005 and does not have the heater type.

most sites list 195 as OEM, but the Motorcraft RT 1194 is listed as 190 on O'reillys site. in the description it's 4L5G-8575-AE, which does not come up on the Ford parts site.:icon_confused:

so whatcha got and how's it working for ya?

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
A member on another site is running a 180* in her Duratec 2.3 and she's had no problems at all and did not see a reduction in fuel mileage. I think she has an automatic trans.

I'm running a non-electric 190* in my 2003 2.3 w/manual trans and have had zero problems. Still getting 23-24 mpg in the city.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Upper radiator hose thermostats are 190-195degF

Lower radiator hose thermostats are 180degF, 190 is OK, 2.3l Duratec uses lower rad hose thermostat

Simply the physics of warm air/water rises, and most the heat from an engine is generated in the head, so upper hose will be at 195 at the same time lower hose will be at 180, so either type of thermostas would start opening at the same time

Radiator provides about 15deg of cooling, so when thermostat opens you get the same 195 at the top and 180 at the bottom

Last edited:

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Ah! Thanks for that info Ron. I did not know that. This is the first engine for me where the thermostat was at the bottom of the radiator.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals