• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What spark plugs for 3.0

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was wondering if I could have went to Ford place and bought exactly what came in my truck?I
No, you couldn't have. The service parts we can get at the dealership aren't differentiated. We get either the double platinum or nickel electrode plugs that are good for both sides. The plugs you put in should be good for another 100K.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Hence my "without getting too technical" remark... :geek:

Also you have it backwards. Single platinum plugs have a platinum ELECTRODE, but a standard nickel ground prong. On those plugs on the batch fired side the ground is what burns up. Double platinum and iridium plugs have a platinum plate on the ground prong that prevent wear when the spark is reversed. (Autolite iridium's only have an iridium electrode, the ground prong is still platinum like a standard double platinum plug).
For wasted spark/batch fired systems one plug fires as in a normal system. Yes, its ground electrode loses mass with each arc, but no faster than in any other system. It’s the reverse plug that has a problem because there is so little mass in the center electrode. So the Autolite iridium plus are just what you need - the ground electrode doesn’t really need iridium, it will last long enough anyway.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man....I hope you're not telling me the gentle measure I gave my SP440's with a ramp gauge damaged them too badly.
I didn't pry against any firing surface.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Oh man....I hope you're not telling me the gentle measure I gave my SP440's with a ramp gauge damaged them too badly.
I didn't pry against any firing surface.
Then you should probably be fine.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm getting ready to do my plugs tmrw on my 01 3.0......i bought autolite AP104 they're single platinum......i can go get 3 doubles in the morning, I think that's the APP104....which side of the motor do the doubles go on? Driver or passenger? It's a flex fuel if that matters. Thanks

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ford did this to save 40 cents... your truck uses a waste spark ignition system which without getting too technical means plugs on one side of the engine fire twice. The side that fires twice requires a double platinum plug (platinum ground and electrode), the other side only requires a single platinum plug (platinum electrode only). So instead of just using 6 double platinum plugs ford cheaped out and used a less expensive single platinum plug on one side...

When you buy new plugs just put double platinums or iridium's on both sides. I don't know the motorcraft part number but it would be an autolite app104 for double platinums or xp104 for iridiums. (Autolite makes motorcrafts plugs)
I'm doing my plugs tmrw.....01 3.0 flex....i already bought AP104 singles.....i want to go get 3 doubles,APP104......what side of the motor do the doubles go on? Driver or passenger? If that's how it works(one side of the motor)..........thanks

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm doing my plugs tmrw.....01 3.0 flex....i already bought AP104 singles.....i want to go get 3 doubles,APP104......what side of the motor do the doubles go on? Driver or passenger? If that's how it works(one side of the motor)..........thanks
Dirtman is no longer here, but maybe @RonD can answer your question.

I used Bosch Platinum Crossfire plugs in my 3.0 ( non flex fuel) and had great results. But to be honest I had a major engine failure not too long after I put them in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a Ranger V6
Passenger side uses regular spark, center to tip
Drivers side uses reverse spark, tip to center
Assuming coil pack is factory wired, lol

Which is why there are often 2 spark plug numbers listed for V6s, one has coated tip, the other a coated center, coating makes spark plugs last longer
For Ford using thousands of spark plugs every year it makes since(cents) to use two different single coating spark plugs
For owners just get 6 double platinum
Or 6 regular(no coating)

Standard Single platinum plugs have coated tip, but can be order with only coated center, the different number

Good look here on how spark plug centers wear on drivers side, i.e. cylinders 4, 5 and 6: https://www.ranger-forums.com/2-9l-3-0l-v6-tech-32/flex-fuel-spark-plugs-119781/

Also which spark plugs are recommended for 3.0l gas only and 3.0l Flex Fuel

3.0l use 0.042 to 0.046 gap, gas only or flex fuel
Disregard gap info on Emission sticker in engine bay

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems you need two sets and then use 3 of one set, and 3 of the other

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On a Ranger V6
Passenger side uses regular spark, center to tip
Drivers side uses reverse spark, tip to center
Assuming coil pack is factory wired, lol

Which is why there are often 2 spark plug numbers listed for V6s, one has coated tip, the other a coated center, coating makes spark plugs last longer
For Ford using thousands of spark plugs every year it makes since(cents) to use two different single coating spark plugs
For owners just get 6 double platinum
Or 6 regular(no coating)

Standard Single platinum plugs have coated tip, but can be order with only coated center, the different number

Good look here on how spark plug centers wear on drivers side, i.e. cylinders 4, 5 and 6: https://www.ranger-forums.com/2-9l-3-0l-v6-tech-32/flex-fuel-spark-plugs-119781/

Also which spark plugs are recommended for 3.0l gas only and 3.0l Flex Fuel

3.0l use 0.042 to 0.046 gap, gas only or flex fuel
Disregard gap info on Emission sticker in engine bay
Thanks...I took back the singles AP104 and just got 6 APP104 doubles.....never got around to putting them in today, gonna do it tmrw. We had nasty weather today in FL

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Seems you need two sets and then use 3 of one set, and 3 of the other
Yes, or just use double coating and no worries
As said for 6 spark plugs its not a big difference in cost, for 6,000 you can save some money on using the two different single coatings

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
So... are the SP500 plugs "correct" for the 3.0l FFV engine in ALL 6 cylinders?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals