• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What pull behind Camper?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
I have a 94 Mazda B3000 it has 51,000 original miles on it. I bought it this year and when I bought it it only had 49,000 on it. I have upgraded the alternator to 130 amps and removed the belt driven fan. Everything else is stock. My next step is to get a class 3 hitch and add the trailer light hookup. Then I am going to get a 4.10 rear end. My wife and I have been talking about buying a camper for 3 yrs now. I know I am limited to lightweight campers but I also don’t want to make payments on a camper. We are going to save up for one. I really don’t know what brand to look at. It has to have an shower and toilet because my wife has a thing about using public restrooms.

I would like something no more than 2,500 lbs. Any suggestions on brand or type?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000014865-5-Gallon-Solar-Shower/dp/B0009PUT20

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephant-Folding-Commode-Portable/dp/B01MSOWG7U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1546217162&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=camping+toilet&psc=1

Open up any options? ;missingteeth;

Hardside or soft for a camper?

I have a customer that thinks I need to buy his popup and it was briefly tempting for the TRS roundup until he mentioned it really old and while it had been stored inside he wouldn't guarantee what has been inside of it... and is basically a tent on a trailer.

My wifey isn't bad with public restrooms and whatnot BUT it would be really nice to have a sink with running water for dishes.

While trying to figure out exactly a 1967 Apache Silver Buffalo was after he left (I didn't know they did popups back far) and it looked like most popups seem to age out around 20 years. They get pretty sparse after the mid 90's.

Last edited:

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000014865-5-Gallon-Solar-Shower/dp/B0009PUT20

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephant-Folding-Commode-Portable/dp/B01MSOWG7U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1546217162&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=camping+toilet&psc=1

Open up any options? ;missingteeth;

Hardside or soft for a camper?

I have a customer that thinks I need to buy his popup and it was briefly tempting for the TRS roundup until he mentioned it really old and while it had been stored inside he wouldn't guarantee what has been inside of it... and is basically a tent on a trailer.

My wifey isn't bad with public restrooms and whatnot BUT it would be really nice to have a sink with running water for dishes.

While trying to figure out exactly a 1967 Apache Silver Buffalo was after he left (I didn't know they did popups back far) and it looked like most popups seem to age out around 20 years. They get pretty sparse after the mid 90's.
Hard side would be nice because I don’t think the soft would be comfortable in the cold.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if your going to pull might consider putting mechanical fan back.

sub 3 k popups wont be bad.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if you run a big in bed or any trailer taller then a pop up and plan to go to elevation definitely put the mechanical fan on for trips.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Probably gonna be hard to find a slide in with a shower and toilet for a small truck.

I have an 84 Skamper and there is no room for any of that. It is fairly comfortable for two though...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are a lot of new campers that are aiming for the SUV crowd and have really low tow ratings. I've towed a few pop ups in my day with my rangers. my current is a 99 3.0 2wd auto with 373 gears and it had no problem towing a little coleman popup. I think it was around 2500-3000 pounds too. if you post an ad on craigslist you might find someone needing to get rid of one cheap. A lot of times people have one that has been sitting and don't know what to do with it. The shower/toilet is going to be hard to find in a pop up AND cheap if you plan on saving your money to out right buy it. I work at an RV dealership and from my experience keystone trailers are better than most. Thor owns everyone now so they all pay thor in the end but the quality from keystone is better than thor. forest river isn't too bad. I would stay away from anything that says Thor or Heartland. If it were me, I would try to find a good deal on a pop up and just plumb in a bathroom. you would lose a lot of space but we all know how wives are. they get what they want at your expense lol. If you have any questionsa bout a camper you can message me. I've been in this business as a service/warranty writer for 4 years now so I know my stuff. There's not much I cant problem solve or know.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Pretty sure it's stock. I could be wrong.
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Nothing personal. I'd rather be driving my Bug.
...my current is a 99 3.0 2wd auto with 373 gears and it had no problem towing a little coleman popup. I think it was around 2500-3000 pounds too...
Can I assume your tow hitch is a bit more impressive than the bumper-plate ball I have on my '93?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can I assume your tow hitch is a bit more impressive than the bumper-plate ball I have on my '93?
I got a factory trailer hitch from the wrecking yard a couple weeks ago for free. I'd seen one with the ball hitch still in it and grabbed that, but when paying out they had charged me $22 for it, but didn't notice that till later.
The next day I mentioned being shocked they charged more for parts(that one anyway)than Wmart sells em for new.
Over the weekend I studied into it and realized they had charged me for the whole tow package, and went by there early the next week and asked if I could have the other half, and they said "sure"!
An hour and 4 tough bolts later I was toting an almost hundred pound factory jobber out to my truck :)

Those prices were on their 50% off special, but you'd still likely get one at a decent yard for under $50

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Is this the part you're talking about (roughly speaking, that is)?

(Asking because I'm pretty new to all of this and really unsure what all is included in a "tow package") :/

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is this the part you're talking about (roughly speaking, that is)?
View attachment 33635

(Asking because I'm pretty new to all of this and really unsure what all is included in a "tow package") :/
Yes sir! :) I believe the "tow package" included that and the tail light plug(which simply plugs into the L-R tail lights connection)

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With 2WD that would also add a bit of traction on the winter roads

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals