• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What next for the 302?

89XLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 302 in my 1989 XLT 4x4 looks to be built in 1971 and has headers, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and 600 cfm carb. It has a stock cam, cast iron heads, stock valve train with flat tappet hydraulic cam.. It runs great.....but I would like to get some more power out of it while still using the Edelbrock intake and carb. I am trending towards a set of Trick Flow aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rockers and a new cam and lifters. Looking for some advice from folks that have done similar builds please. I think adding some heads and cam are the next step.
ED5A1341-E8D5-46FD-8AB9-7FFF2F264D2A.jpeg

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have been considering putting a mid 60's 289 in my 89' Bronco II (I have a 67'? motor and FMX trans and no testing here). I like FI but there is something to be said for the simplicity of carbs. How much trouble did you have with the drive train? What trans are you using?

89XLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 302 was in the truck when I found it so I can’t say how much trouble it was to install. It has the FM146 5-speed. Original transmission I think...

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The sweet old 302!
Would take out my dad's 1974 302 every chance I got as a teenager, drag race my high school buddies.
Sure my dad got ear about it, but never said a word. Just damn lucky not to have wrecked that car.

Bossman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You may want to research power output vs. what your drivetrain can handle. A good set of trickflow heads and even a mild cam will increase power quite a bit.

89XLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Bossman. I plan on an 8.8 limited slip for the rear, and probably a Dana 35 front axle. I see that the FM146 is not going to work in the long term either. Trying to avoid an automatic transmission though, so a stronger manual trans is on the build list as welll....for now we just drive it easy.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Heads would be a good move, especially while another cam is installed. Ford made their engines great grocery getters. In stock form they do a good job. But they are not very friendly when it comes to changing things. If you get a set of aftermarket heads, they will have bigger valves, studs with guide plates to make the valve train adjustable and this will make it accept the aftermarket camshaft better. Any aftermarket cylinder head you pick usually has the adjustable valve train modifications done already, which is what you really need for the aftermarket cam.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals