• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of Computer do you Use?

joescool2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
Custom full atx fm1 a-8 3850 @ 4ghz, gigabyte mobo, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, 90 gb ssd (kingston) and a radeon 6850. One 22" lcd acer screen for internet and a 24inch insignia led tv for main game display.

pw2buz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a home-built running Windows XP and Linux Mint on an MSI motherboard
with dual-core processor, 4GB RAM, and two hard drives.

Two laptops: Thinkpad T41 and Thinkpad T61

One server (NAS - network attached storage) for backups, made from an old Dell
Dimension 8400.

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Using my wife's desktop HP with windows 7 premium. I know thats not much info. but I don't know much about them which is why I'm here. Want to get a laptop to search forums, store truck and bike info., and put in pictures from projects I' m working on(so I can put them back together!). The only computer I've used is this one but all the new ones have windows 8 which I don't know anything about. What do you think would be good for my use?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have a cheapo Acer from Tigerdirect with Windows Vista. Can't afford anything else. I spent $400 on it, and it has outlasted 3 Dells and a POS Alienware.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Using my wife's desktop HP with windows 7 premium. I know thats not much info. but I don't know much about them which is why I'm here. Want to get a laptop to search forums, store truck and bike info., and put in pictures from projects I' m working on(so I can put them back together!). The only computer I've used is this one but all the new ones have windows 8 which I don't know anything about. What do you think would be good for my use?
Unless you plan to do regular backups, I'd suggest opening a PhotBucket account (it's not hard, just go to www.photobucket.com and sign up) and store your photo's on there...or some other site that allows you to store files and photos ") in the sky (" - meaning on a website - also putting them on a removable disk (USB drive) or external hard drive would be highly recommended.

I had about 100 pics of my frame-off restore and lost them because I didn't back them up...thought I had but that doesn't count when you can't find them...

As for what computer to use...anything you can get your hands on that runs Windows XP or later operating system.

It will take a bit of practice and patience to get the hang of any computer but once you do it's really pretty simple.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Windows 7 is difficult to learn, try the new Window's 8 its far worse LOL, I was playing with it on a laptop at Staples last weekend and if that laptop wasn't attached to the counter I would have loved to toss it across the store. Unless you know that you can press the windows key on the keyboard to over-ride the scrolling little window apps junk you would be wondering where everything was.

crazypj

Reaction score
Altamonte Springs Fl./Bridgend South Wales
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Coo, thread still running after a couple of years.
I don't remember the spec of the box I put together 3~4 yrs back, Intel dual core something, (3.3Ghz) Win XP, 20" flatscreen, 1.2? terabyte JBOD storage array
Updated video card last year to an EVGA something then took it out and put old one back in
Laptop I'm on now is 4+ yrs old (I think?) Gateway T-Series (says on the front:icon_rofl:)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ahh... computers....

Lets see... up until about two years ago when it finally died (suspecting a HDD failure but it's hard to find a HDD for it, plus it needs a NIC card and a battery pack) I was running an IBM Thinkpad T-22:
900 mhz pIII
Originally a 20 gig Hitachi Travelstar (aka mini deathstar), updated to a 40 gig (want to say samsung) HDD
512 mb ram

About the time it was in it's death throes I built my first desktop:
Intel Classic mobo
2.2 ghz dual core processor (currently a 3.2 ghz quad core)
Corsair matched pairs of RAM, 1 gig per stick x 4 sticks DDR2
Vid card was originally an XFX 8600 GT until it quite literally blew up and XFX refused to warranty it (supposed to be lifetime warrantied and the capacitors blowing up is a known problem) so I updated to an EVGA 9800 GTX+ (big mother honker!)
Originally a WD Caviar 250 gig HDD (blue edition), just updated to a WD Black 500 gig
HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
PC Power and cooling 610 watt psu
3 DVD-ROM drives
Freezer 7 pro cooling tower
Logitech gaming mouse
Lappy style keyboard
Acer 21" lcd monitor

My second desktop:
Dell mobo and the vid card it came with
cheapo psu
2.2 ghz dual core Intel
WD Caviar 250 gig HDD
Etc.... basically all the spare parts I had laying around collecting dust. It'll be a garage computer most likely.

Toshiba Satellite lappy (my one buddy gave it to me because it was dying):
1.46 ghz Intel Celeron M410
WD Black 250 gig HDD (originally had a hitachi travelstar)
2 gigs Kingston ram (originally had 512 mb)

The T-22 has Windows 2000 Pro, the Toshiba and the second desktop run Windows XP Home, and the main desktop runs Windows XP Pro.

Aside from that, I have a Kindle Touch my bro got me a little over a year ago - love that thing for reading, I already have around 150 books on there.

Say, if anyone has a junk T-22 or parts that will work with one, I'd kind of like to put mine back together. I know it's a dinosaur, but I hate to throw it away just because of some issues. It was a good computer, I left it on pretty much 24/7 for 9 years and used it pretty hard (most of the keys are missing the letters, lol). I do miss playing around on it, especially since I had to loan my Toshiba to my mom for awhile while she takes some more classes to further advance her nursing degree.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a T22... little bugger still works perfectly if you ignore the fact that the
the battery packs are well past any reasonable "useful lifespan"

I have XP-Pro SP3 running on it, but frankly this is a "historical curiosity" for me
as I have it and the original IBM thinkpad case and most accessories.

I do however have a "junkbox" with what I believe is sufficient parts
to assemble a working T20, T21 or T-22.

I'd have to dig out the box and look closely to give you a more precise answer.

I do know that apart from a slightly slower CPU the main difference between a T20 and a T22
is that the T-22 will allow you to hot-swap the battery packs while the notebook is connected
to external power the T-20 will not.

Anyway to be "on Topic" I'm still using the HP d5000T Pavilion Elite Desktop, Q9450 CPU.
My System drive is a Kingston SSD, and my internal Storage drives are a pair of WD 1.5TB
drives and a single 3tb drive... plus a pair of 2TB externals for backup.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a T22... little bugger still works perfectly if you ignore the fact that the
the battery packs are well past any reasonable "useful lifespan"

I have XP-Pro SP3 running on it, but frankly this is a "historical curiosity" for me
as I have it and the original IBM thinkpad case and most accessories.

I do however have a "junkbox" with what I believe is sufficient parts
to assemble a working T20, T21 or T-22.

I'd have to dig out the box and look closely to give you a more precise answer.

I do know that apart from a slightly slower CPU the main difference between a T20 and a T22
is that the T-22 will allow you to hot-swap the battery packs while the notebook is connected
to external power the T-20 will not.

Anyway to be "on Topic" I'm still using the HP d5000T Pavilion Elite Desktop, Q9450 CPU.
My System drive is a Kingston SSD, and my internal Storage drives are a pair of WD 1.5TB
drives and a single 3tb drive... plus a pair of 2TB externals for backup.
Let me know when you get around to digging out the "junkbox", I'd certainly be interested in fixing mine up even if I have to stick to using a power cord instead of a battery pack. I think I was one of the few people who actually loved the little "eraser" head in the middle of the keyboard for controlling the mouse. Took me half of forever to get used to not having it in the middle of my keyboard, but I still haven't got used to using a "normal" keyboard, I have nothing but "laptop" style keyboards for my desktops. I can type roughly twice as fast on those style as opposed to the more traditional keyboards.

Great_Big_Abyss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my gaming rig looks like this:

MSI Z77-GD45 motherboard
i7-3770K overclocked to 4.5Ghz
H80i cooler
2x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
2x EVGA GTX760 superclocked ACX in SLI
2x Crucial M4 128GB SSD's in RAID 0
500GB WD Black HDD
PC Power & Cooling 750W MKII Silencer power supply
CoolerMaster 690II Advanced with windowed side panel.
27" 2560x1440 Display

My son's computer looks like this:

ASUS M5A97 motherboard
AMD 1055T Phenom II overclocked to 3.9 Ghz
Zalman CNPS20LQ AIO liquid cooler
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
Sapphire 5870 (reference)
80GB Intel 520series SSD
320GB WD Blue HDD
SPI 650W Powersupply
Bitfenix Prodigy Case (white)
23" 1920x1080 Display

And the HTPC looks like this:

ASUS F1A75M-Pro motherboard
AMD A6-3600K APU (stock clocked)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink
2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1866Mhz DDR3 RAM
ASUS GTX 650Ti Boost edition
60GB Corsair SSD
2x 2TB WD Green HDD
1x 1TB WD Green HDD
SPI 450W Powersupply
Thermaltake V4
50" Samsung @ 1080P

All rigs running 64bit Windows 7 Professional.

Ya, I'm a little into computers. All rigs are hand built by yours truly, and I'm constantly swapping out parts and buying new stuff. For Example, in my personal rig, I've been through four different GPU setups in the past year.
7950 > GTX680 > GTX660 SLI > GTX760 SLI

Glad to see I'm not the only computer nut on here...

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I offered my oldest son the top Alienware computer if he made an 87% average. He didn't, so I bought it for myself to prove I would have bought it for him. Now he has to use his old HP 500B and I have a kick-ass thing that I have to use virtual machine on to run my old drafting software. Never has there been a more under-used gaming computer. Maybe he'll get his attitude right next school year.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ By next year that computer will be old hat. jk

I use an Asus k53ta series laptop. AMD A-6 and Radeon hd6720g2. It was the best I could afford [$450.00] two years ago that had a decent video card. I recently put windows 8 pro on it so I could use it for some computer classes I took, the classes were run on windows 8 platform. The w-8 is different but has some good points too. I like that I can search on the start screen and then define/refine my search thru the search-app bar. Most of the time I'm in the 'desktop' app so I don't notice a difference.
I bought w-8 pro thru e-bay for $40.00, I was worried it was a scam but it turned out to be real.....whooo.

Richard

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I use most is my 5-y/o Aspire One which I paid $199.99 for. Very slow for doing any games--but I've played Ages of Empires and Half Life on it. It never gets hot, though. I think I could put electrical tape on the vents and it would never over heat. I had been trying to buy high-end laptops before and they always burned up. Even though I bought 6 years worth of warranty, it was still a pain in the ass. So I did a complete 180. I bought something that promised very low performance. For what I need a computer for, it was the right move. A processor designed as a 50cc scoot and not a 600cc supersport was just what I needed. No super-secret feature like being able to rotate to monitor 360--a thing doomed to fail in 2 years. I got a 10.1" screen and a 3/4 keyboard--but no devastating heat and a computer that has never once seized or given the blue screen. And it's really small, but has a real operating system. It's not like a Nook or an IPad--it's a real computer. It has a real full operating system, but weighs less than a book it's same size.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What I use most is my 5-y/o Aspire One which I paid $199.99 for. Very slow for doing any games--but I've played Ages of Empires and Half Life on it. It never gets hot, though. I think I could put electrical tape on the vents and it would never over heat. I had been trying to buy high-end laptops before and they always burned up. Even though I bought 6 years worth of warranty, it was still a pain in the ass. So I did a complete 180. I bought something that promised very low performance. For what I need a computer for, it was the right move. A processor designed as a 50cc scoot and not a 600cc supersport was just what I needed. No super-secret feature like being able to rotate to monitor 360--a thing doomed to fail in 2 years. I got a 10.1" screen and a 3/4 keyboard--but no devastating heat and a computer that has never once seized or given the blue screen. And it's really small, but has a real operating system. It's not like a Nook or an IPad--it's a real computer. It has a real full operating system, but weighs less than a book it's same size.

a book like this? i'm using a custom built that i bought off a guy in 2010, crappy amd dual core running sli nvidia 7800stx's ( lol) 4 gigs ddr2, 500gb hdd. runs league of legends and other games fine but more demanding games are just too much for the processor. almost time for a new computer but i'll be building it myself instead of used and 3 years old already.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals