• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is your Ford Ranger story...(For Ford)

LilRed89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Our Ranger Story- One Familys Journey

I remember that Christmas with great clarity. My Father in Law sat us all down and announced to the family that he was in the advanced stages of pancreatic cancer. He knew with no-nonsense surety that this was going to be his last Christmas with us. As the reality settled in he began a week-long discussion of how he wanted his earthly possessions divided up or given away. Dad was an engineer and he put those logic and reasoning skills to direct us with very little emotion.

When he came to the 1989 Ranger he had bought new as a retirement gift to himself, he was quick and to the point. He said to just donate or sell it as it had been sitting in the woods seeing very little use. What was once his pride and joy had fallen on hard times. The death of his first wife, years long battles with various cancers and a second marriage had all conspired to steer his focus away from his once beautiful “little Red Truck” as he liked to call it.

I was still reeling form the news of his impending death, but at that very moment I was seized by a wave of memories. I have been in the automotive business all my life and with my connections, I was who he had turned to all those years ago to help him order his dream truck.

He was a highly successful career man who had risen to the very top of his profession. Being born in the depression he was very conservative and although he could afford any vehicle he wanted he always drove plain four door domestic sedans. Still, he had always harbored a desire to someday own a red pick up truck.

Since he was a graduate of Ohio State he insisted it be ordered in scarlet and grey. He took great pains to study which seating arrangement would best suit his needs and ordered as it turns out one of only five such interiors made that year (so said the Marti Report we received this Summer). It has a 60/40 Vinyl bench, as he hated cloth seats and leather wasnt available. Dad was over six feet and Mom was short so he felt that if she had to take over the driving duties he would be crushed up against the dash. As for buckets well, that was just out of the question, much to flashy for Dad.

He equipped it with every heavy-duty option and a 4:10 Trac Lock rear end as he planned on towing his smaller fishing boat around in his retirement. He paid extra for the 2.9 V6 which the Hagerty price guide now lists as a 10% deduction, go figure. Before taking delivery he had me run it to Ziebart for a full rust proofing, mud flaps and a soft bed cover.

Once he retired to South Carolina the truck was used as a back up to his new Continental and parked it unceremoniously under the trees on his side lot. As I look back, there were many hardware store and bait shop runs with me riding shotgun. It was our “Buddy Time” where we discussed all the worlds problems and solved about half of them.

I asked Dad if he didn’t mind, I might like to keep the truck such as it was. After all it was tightly woven into the fabric of our family’s story. I must say the wisdom of that request was greatly tested on the two day drive back up north with that low rear end. I like to tell my friends that it doesn’t have an accelerator as much as an on/off switch.

Many times people say “that thing rode as rough as a truck” well with the two sizes too small Chinese tires that were on Little Red at the time, I’m here to tell you first hand- there’s some truth to that tale. But make it home it did. Walking around the tired old gal I started thinking maybe I had made a mistake. The many years in the woods had been extremely unkind to her. But as they say nothing that time and lots of money couldn’t fix.

Today I enjoy taking her to local shows and cruise ins, where people are surprised to see a remaining stock 89 Ranger. What I enjoy the most other than the many compliments I have received, are the stories.

I came of age during the late 60s and early 70s, a time when everyone either had or had a friend who had, a VW beetle. We all had hair raising stores of adventure and mischief involving a Beetle.

What I soon discovered is that for the next generation behind me, the Ford Ranger was their “VW Beetle”. The stories tend to come unsolicited and unfiltered as they walk around Little Red. The raw emotions are very real, as this Ranger has impacted our family, so have other Rangers changed the lives of so many others.

As they say “she’s a keeper” one day I hope to pass her on to my Son, so he can carry on weaving the tapestry that is our family’s story and hopefully appreciate how one “Little Red Truck” came to mean so much to us all.

Attachments

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My grandfather was a huge role model for me growing up. I would ride with him everywhere in his 1988 ford ranger xlt 2.3/5 speed. Fishing, hunting, or to the store, I was his shadow. I was five years old out helping him change oil. I would add mud flaps to all of my toy trucks because it was the coolest thing in the world. One day he walked in and said ( Hey boy, let's go and install these mud flaps behind the rear tires on my ranger). Man I was riding high above the clouds around town after we did that. At around 11 my grandfather told me to go to my moms and get some sugar. We lived on 30 acres and the driveway was 1600 feet long(I am still on the same property). I said ( I don't know how to drive a standard). He smiled and told to get in the truck and I would just know. I hopped in and never stalled or shimmied the clutch. All the years I rode with him and watching him clutch and shift somehow it imprinted in my brain. I was 18 when Hurricane Katrina hit. The day after we went to drain the gas out of the tank. The truck had sat up about two years because it was running on three cylinders and eventually died. Knocked a hole in the tank and it was bone dry. Pawpaw said (DAMNIT I KNOW THIS THING AIN'T BEEN OUT OF GAS THIS WHOLE TIME). Plugged the hole in the tank and put 5 gallons in. It fired right up on three cylinders. We loaded it up to the roof with fire wood that winter and revved it to 4 grand head to the house( Try that with a chevy :D) . The next spring he sold it to a fella to use on his farm for 400 bux. I wish it was still here so I could restore it. That truck raised me to be the ranger lover I am today.

Last edited:

Lonnie

February 2009 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger GT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Our story started in 1989 when I purchased a 1987 extended XLT 4 cylinder 5 speed. I was working construction at the time and used the truck as my daily driver all over the state of Indiana. After 179,000 miles I parked and purchased the Explorer you see in the background. A 5.0 AWD, with plans to keep the Ranger and do a V8 swap on it down the road as time and money permitted.

As things progressed I ran into some health issues and things kinda got put aside but the Ranger was still sitting there patiently waiting, biding its time.

In Fall of 2008 I started on the late model 302 for the swap. One Friday afternoon in January I was online looking for some parts to continue moving forward, I found something I could not pass up in Lexington, KY. So I called the gentleman, and that Sunday morning on a cold and wet day. We drove down and I drove back with another Ranger. This time to finish what someone else had started. I could not say no, because I was saving what Ford had built so few of. A Ranger that from the start, should of had a 5.0 in it Simply because of the GT badging they put on it. We brought home an '88 Ranger GT. In my humble opinion, if it says GT, it says V8. Yes the motor was in it, but there was lots of work to be done to bring up to safe driving conditions. So we sold the '87 and a few weeks later sold the motor to go in an early Mustang and that is how it started. It has came a long way since we won STOTM in Feb of 2009.

I will post a few pictures here and link the FB of 9 years of work, toil, sweat, help from friends, and the love of my family. This is what it has taken to make it the truck it is today. We enjoy driving it, we built it to drive it. It currently makes 406/429 @ the tires. Under the hood is an '89 HO 5.0 with aluminum heads and intake with lots of machine work, backed by a Hanlon Motorsports custom built TKO 600, to an 8.8 with 3.73L with 31 Spline Mosers. It is still sporting the Raven Black paint that was on the truck when we bought it. We have our Marti Report to confirm the GT status. We enjoy educating the people on a Ranger some do not even know Ford produced. We carry an original 1989 Dealer poster that is framed in the bed and display at shows for those that want to call us out.

So in the end, we have owned a Ranger, not the same Ranger, for 29 years. Look forward to having the GT for a long time to come!!!!

Our '87 and the motor we built for it.

Our '88 GT:

So as promised here is a link to the page with pictures we have for the Truck. You can see where we started and the progress and stages we went through to get where we are at today. https://www.facebook.com/LonniesObsession/

Last edited:

Geek Hillbilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1st Ranger

My first experience with a Ranger was in the 1980s when the coal company I worked for bought 1 for parts delivery.The little gray devil was tough as they come,hauled loads that would have broken down a bigger truck and was generally fun to drive as well.
Next was in 2006 with a $100 1990 Aerostar van -A Ranger with a van body. Put the 3.0 out of a 2005 Ranger into it and got 410,000 out of it before one of my neighbors stole and burned the van.(He is still in prison over that)
2015- I was still recovering from a right leg amputation when I bought a 1999 Ranger XLT Extended Cab 2wd 3.0 for $250.Rusty as hell,I got 2 years out of it before the frame broke in two.It is sitting waiting for me to finish fitting a new frame to it.:icon_welder:
Last December,I purchased another 1999 Ranger (Standard cab 2.5 automatic step side bed) from an estate sale.Not a speck of rust on it,has a current Ford blue paint job and refitted with the front end of a 2003 Ranger.After market custom headlights.199,600 miles on it and it runs like a new one.Gets a lot better mileage than it should,but I sure ain't complaining.Little Blue has never failed to start and quite often is the vehicle of choice when ferrying my sister back & for to see her doctors (Under treatment for cancer - She has a 2003 Jeep Liberty with just 82000 miles,but it drinks the gas) and I use my Ranger as a daily driver. :yahoo:

I am looking to buy one of the 2019 Rangers,since I have never owned a new vehicle in my life and no,I won't be trading in Little Blue.I think that little truck will outlast me.

Mike Tonon

My dad bought a 1987 Ford Ranger (XLT 5-speed 2wd long bed 2.9, with the red interior and 9R paint code, with red pinstripes). The dealer was Mitchell Ford in Southington, CT. The thing was great! The cab was a little tight on leg room and I could go into a lot of other details that have been improved between then and now, but I’ll leave it at this. I got the truck around 2002, around the time I got my license. Around 2005, I sent a letter to Ford Motor Company, with suggestions for the Ranger. I don’t remember everything I said, but I remember suggesting a supercab long bed combination and bringing back the red and blue interior. Months later, I received a call from “Bill, CEO at Ford Motor Company” and he basically said thank you for the letter and we’ll look into your suggestions. Somewhere around that time, the blue and red seats in some of the Rangers suddenly appeared. In 2007, I ordered a new XLT long bed 5-speed manual Ranger, which I still have. I bought it at Crowley Ford in Plainville, CT. I added some chrome trim to it and put on the Alcoa rims and painted some of the interior parts black, to break up all the tan in the interior. I also painted wood grain on the radio and gage cluster bezels. In 2008, I sold the 1987 Ranger. It had about 198,000 miles and was 21 years old. It still drove good. My suggestion for the new Ranger, have a longer bed option. At least 6.5 feet, if not 7. Also, if you want, you can view pictures of my interior, here... https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=866

Last edited by a moderator:

v110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Ranger Story

Looking forward to the new Ranger. Planning on buying a 2020 after the “bugs” are worked out with the 2019’s. My love affair for the Ranger started when I was a senior in high school and saw an ad in a magazine for the new front end design on the 1989’s. I was a GM guy at the time, but knew that would be my next truck. I remember it like it was yesterday. My buddies and I were in the library during study hall and I showed them the ad and they laughed at me for liking a Ford Ranger. My high school had a big GM following. In the fall of 1990, I was in my sophomore year of college and my 1983 S15 Jimmy was starting to fall apart. I was working part time and going to school and the price of used 4x4’s was crazy with winter coming. For kicks, I figured I would look at new Rangers. The Ford Dealer had a dark green 1991 XLT 4x4 2.3 5 spd reg cab short bed behind all the long bed 6 cylinders on the lot. The salesman said that no one wanted a 4 cylinder 4x4, and I got a crazy price of $ 10,995 out the door. To this day, that body style is still my favorite. Unfortunately in western Pennsylvania, that style has been rusted out and gone for years. Over the next 28 years, I have owned 9 4x4 Rangers. A 91 XLT, 94 XLT, 96 STX, 98 XLT, 01 Edge, 03 FX4 Level 2, 05 FX4 Level 2, 09 FX4, and a 10 Sport. Still have the 09 and my son has the 10 and we are babying them to last. I took a brief break from Rangers with a 93 F150 and a 04 Tacoma. The F150 drank too much gas, and I had to sell to free up some extra cash to finish my house. The Tacoma would always have to be in 4 wheel drive when it snowed and was uncomfortable on long trips. I still don’t understand the following that the Tacoma has, but everyone is different. I can’t say anything bad about all the Rangers that I have owned. Some years were better than others, but they were still hard to part with. They never let me down and did all the work that I put them through. I always hoped for an actual crew cab in the US, but all we ever had was the Sport Trac. It wasn’t easy raising 2 kids with jump seats in extended cabs, but I made it through those years with the Rangers. I already have my new one priced out and starting to save my nickels. With the price of the new Ranger, I’m planning on keeping it for quite some time. I don’t think I’ll own as many of the new bodystyle as I did of the old one. I hope ford doesn’t let me down with the new one, and I can be a Ranger driver for life!

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am a dedicated Ford fanatic, and Ford retiree. I own a '99 Ranger Supercab 4x4 4 liter automatic. Owning acreage in rural Missouri, this little truck earns it's keep. Hauling dirt, firewood, and brush is all in a day's work for the old girl, and she handles it well.
The only modification I made was the change to manual lockout hubs.
My wife and I are looking forward to seeing the new Ranger when it becomes available.

Delford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I drove my first Ranger in '89 when I borrowed my friend's blue XL with a 4 cylinder manual. I finally bought my own from John Nix at Young Ford in Charlotte in December 1991. It was a 92 Medium Titanium Metallic 3.0L 5 speed. It had the max GVWR and for 22 years it hauled oak for my wood stove. It never was unstable with an overload, which was a rare occurence, and I never had any mechanical issues other than the A/C. I changed the oil at 4000 miles and did any scheduled maintenance on schedule. The only other issue was the TSB about the passenger door lock being frozen by rainwater leaking into the door. Once repaired, no additional issues. The 92 Ranger was my daily driver until 2004 when our family added several kid cars. The Ranger was used ocasionally for helping friends move things and for hauling firewood. It became a daily driver again in 2013. It crossed the 100K mile mark shortly thereafter and required A/C parts replacement and a change from R-12 to R 134A. In June of 2015 I sold it to my friend, a pastor who also burns wood. It then went to his grandson who drives it to his job at Hendrick Auto after a new clutch and brake job. Because it was garaged early on and because it had minor body repairs at Young Ford's body shop from time to time it still has great paint. I see it at church on Sundays because the current owner is on the usher team and plays cello on a worship team. The cello rides in the standard cab.

I've been hoping for the Ranger to return, although I went to another brand because the F150 was just too tall and because an aluminum bed worried me. I'm glad Ford realized there is a market for the Ranger. If it has decent seats and a fair price tag I'll consider buying one. I was young when I bought my 92 Ranger and now I'm old (70+) so if the 2019 Ranger can make me comfortable in the cab I'll probably trade for one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have owned an estimated 20 or more Rangers over the past 13 years - bought the first one in 2005 - as old as an '83 and my newest was a 1998. Virtually all of them have come to me with major mechanical issues. I like them because they are usually very inexpensive, parts are cheap, and many repairs are easy - almost like Legos - my latest infatuation involved building a "super '89" that has just about every option you could not get from the factory but were available in later years.

As most of us advanced owners know, they are certainly not the pinnacle of engineering genius or the ultimate in reliability, but they are fun, quirky little trucks that serve their purpose well enough.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My dad bought my first Ranger, an 87 Supercab 2.9 4x4, manual everything, used in 88. Him and my mom had one running car, and a motorcycle, and he had been wanting a truck for a while, and the price was right. I fell in love with it almost right away, claiming the driver's rear seat as "mine" and throwing a fit if anyone else sat in it (I was 2.5).

Dad drove that truck for 12 years before getting an F-150 in 2000. At that point it was still pretty clean and ran well, but didn't have much for trade in value, so he just parked it and held on to it for another year and a half until I started driving. A few months before I turned 16 we pulled it out, got it running again (bad TFI) and started teaching me to drive stick. I learned to drive in that truck, and took it just about everywhere. In high school it was giving me fits, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 17 year old truck with 150K. Went though a few TFIs, but most of them were used when I got them, and a clutch in those years. Then I took a few years off to decide what to do with my life, and figured that if I was going to keep a truck that I was having to fix regularly, I might as well learn to do it myself, so I signed up for the Ford ASSET program, graduated third in my class (20 when we started, down to about 15 at the end). After I graduated ASSET I went back to a few more years to finish a bachelor's degree, and that truck took me up and down the Susquehanna valley pretty regularly, and back and forth to work for six years. Between 2006 when I started ASSET the FM145 gave up the ghost and got replaced with an M5OD, the +200K mile 2.9 started getting weak and got replaced with a rebuilt, cammed one, which then got replaced with a 4.0, the 7.5 went bye-bye for an Explorer 8.8, the D-28 got nixed for a 97 D-35, the interior has been replaced a few times, and seen a few configurations. Started with vinyl 60/40 bench, which went to cloth 60/40, and now cloth buckets and console from a 91 Explorer.

While up north the winters took their toll, and she started getting rusty, so about four years ago I went and found a body donor that wasn't running, got it home, and running because I wanted the engine for my Bronco II, and then tore both trucks down to nuts and bolts and built one good truck out of the best of the parts I had. Had to do a little bit of frame repair, used my power train and interior, wheels/tires etc, but the whole body and the frame rails from the donor. Yes, I have pieces of both frames in the final product because the donor was 2wd, and some of the rear-ward 4x4 cross members were in better shape.

Then I stripped the body donor to bare metal and painted it black to match the original truck. Right now it is stuck in my garage because my own 2.5 year old lost my keys. :annoyed:

So this truck, has in various forms, directed large portions of the course of my life over the last 30 years. It got my hooked on Fords, it pointed me down a career path, it is even what got my wife interested. Then the restoration project consumed almost all my attention for nearly a year. Currently the rear half of the rotten original cab is sitting on my back porch, we are building a desk for my son out of it.

Last edited:

bigpullerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 1998 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger story. I bought my first Ranger new in 1993. I now have over 376,000 on it and still drive it to work every day. 2.3 with a 5 speed. I have hauled way more in it than it was made to do but made it just fine. That is my everyday/work truck. Now for my play truck. It's a 1998 that I use for short trips down the strip. I built this one about 6 yrs ago and have gone a best of 7.28 in the 1/8th. It has a 302 with ported 289 heads and a C4 behind it. Lots of fun.

Attachments

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
My story starts in the early 90’s.

My grandfather had an ‘85 or ‘86 Ranger as his daily driver/plow truck. I used to ride shotgun with him when he would go out and plow snow. As a 5 or 6 year old kid, this is a pretty exciting adventure. I could never forget crawling all over the inside of that black truck with red interior while both windows were rolled down and the heat was blasting. Classical music blaring through the rough but functioning paper cone factory speakers as grandpa slowly puffed on a lucky strike. It was awesome.

Fast forward another 10 years or so, grandpa had passed away in the mid 90’s after buying a brand new ‘95 Dakota and his old Ranger was gone. None the less, I couldn’t forget that little truck and as luck would have it, I needed to replace my Grand Marquis. I guess those big cars weren’t really meant for doing donuts.. she smoked heavily after one good afternoon of spinning donuts in the Best Buy parking lot. Anyways, I got to talking to my sister who happened to mention that her boyfriend at the time wanted to trade his truck in. A Cayman green 1994 Ford Ranger regular cab, short bed 2.3 2wd 5 speed. It took some effort and a lot of persuading to finally talk him into selling me the truck instead. He was convinced it was on its last leg and wouldn’t last long. I don’t remember the exact mileage anymore (this was back in 2005/‘06) but it was creeping up on 200,000. He was nice enough to let me take it home for a week and drive it to make sure I really wanted it. The day it came home I fixed the loose shift knob, vacuumed all of the dog hair out of it and drove the thing around ALL day. I was sold.

I had the truck for less than 24 hours and handed the man $900 for it. I was an extremely happy camper and loved my new to me Ranger. I drove it bone stock for a few months and discovered TRS. I’ve always loved lifted trucks but knowing mine was 2wd, the lowered scene really caught my eye. I read through the few threads there were for the lowered trucks and did a shackle flip. That wasn’t enough so I saved up some scratch and bought Belltech lowering coils and a hanger kit.

I drove it with the coils and hangers through the winter and wanted more so out came the cut off wheels and welder. I cut one full coil off the Belltech springs and added roughly an inch to the length of the stock shackles.

Went through one more winter with the truck and in the Spring of 2009 bought an Audi. The truck eventually sat in my back yard for a couple months before I sold it to a buddy for $700. He drove it until 2012 or 2013 before giving it to his dad. Up until that point, all he did was regular oil changes and put tires on it. Unfortunately his dad thought the truck was a joke and did a lot of stupid stuff to it. Put bigger all terrain tires on the back, really poorly done “NASCAR” exhaust, ripped the stereo out, took the steering column apart for no reason and lost a bunch of parts and never rolled the windows all the way up. The truck was destroyed and eventually blew a brake line. So there it sat in his gravel driveway, untouched, for two years. Windows still down, flat tires and looking about as sad as can be. After a couple years of pestering him to get my beloved Ranger back, he finally caved, handed me the title and told me to get it the hell out of his driveway. I pinched off the brake line, filled the tires with air and drove it home.

The day it came back

I put matching size tires on it just to drive it while my mind raced through all kinds of ideas what to do with it.

I originally wanted to re-lower it and put a 4.0 or 5.0 in it but that idea got scrapped as soon as a guy got ahold of me wanting to trade a ‘97 B4000 4x4 for my old Dodge 1500. I ended up with a Cayman green 1994 Ranger regular cab, short bed with a 4.0, 4x4, 5 speed. My little Ranger got a new lease on life and I fell in love with it all over again swapping in the 4.0 and converting it to 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

I started looking 6 years ago and found they were no longer made. I came across my 1994 at a local specialty car lot. $6000 was a lot to pay, but the truck had 60K miles. It'll last longer than I will, so what the heck.

New tires, fluids, brakes, maintenance inspections, etc brought it as close to its original condition as possible. The real hassle was getting it properly aligned so it didn't pull to the right, but we finally got that sorted.

2WD, 4L engine, and the "proper" options gives it the tow rating of a bigger truck. Inside, it has all the options... except the stereo, which was stolen right after I upgraded the sound system. (The power door lock switches allow it to be an easy target, so I've not replaced the stereo.)

I love the truck. Other than a tendency to ping under heavy load (on regular)... a bit of mid-range fuel fixes that, when I'm working it hard. I love never having to worry about it being reliable. With its large cooling capacity, I can leave it idling on the hottest days, with AC running, and the temp barely moves above normal.

Its only problem is the temp gauge. After replacing the thermostat, it barely reaches "N" on "Normal". When I have time, I'll replace the sending unit.

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger Story

My Ford Ranger is a 2001 4x4 with a 4.0 engine passionately nicknamed "The Freedom Ranger". My grandpa bought it brand new in 2000 and had it all decked out like older guys seem to do. Step bars, custom paint, custom hood, lighted windshield visor, chrome trim panels, grille guard, the whole 9 yards. He ran this truck very sparingly and only in the summertime. On gravel roads, it was babied like a model T, very slow and deliberate driving everywhere we went. It got a new coat of wax every month in the summers and was never dirty, neither inside or out. It was amazing how clean he could keep it even with his favorite dog traveling with him all the time. He stored it every fall so there was no chance of it ever seeing salt on the roads as we live in Upper Michigan. The pride he took in taking care of his truck is something that sticks with me and will the rest of my life. We rode together all the time to go golfing, fishing, or any other event he could make the excuse to take out the Ranger. I absolutely loved riding with him in it. I've had Rangers from all eras 1987-2001 since I was 16 (29 yrs old now) and this is hands down the nicest in our area.

In 2015, my grandpa developed a brain tumor and couldn't drive anymore. It was terrible to see his freedom taken away. From time to time, I took him out for a ride in his truck and you could see him light up every time we helped him in. He passed away in 2016 and I inherited the truck from him with 80,000 miles on it. Everyday it's bittersweet to drive his truck, especially when I pick up his dog from my grandma's and we just go for a ride up to camp. Even though it's my truck legally now, everyone including myself knows that it will always be Papa's truck.

Unfortunately when I took off the cap that he had on it and noticed some damage caused from it rubbing against the paint on the bed rails. I just rolled over 140,000 miles on it and it needs some rear end work, some attention to the upholstery on the driver's seat and that darn center arm rest. I'm hoping next year I might be able to mechanically restore the truck. My girlfriend (soon to be fiancé) has accepted the fact that this truck is never going to leave the family (I hope) and is supporting me saving up to make any repair that I can to keep this truck alive for the next 20+ years.

I'm not very skilled as a mechanic yet so I figured I'd start small and I added 31" tires and rims, a nice low profile tonneau cover, and mostly a new front suspension system. My goal is to give it a slightly more aggressive look with out compromising the ride and someday be able to work on everything myself. I'm hoping eventually I can fix all the minor issues and make some time to go to TRS meetups to show it off.

Attachments

tasker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I remember when they first came out, swore I would own one some day. ( Actually I have owned over a dozen to date) Fast forward to 1988 and bought my first new truck, a 1988 Ranger XLT short bed 4x4. Within 3 weeks it had bigger tires and a lift. Probably one of the best trucks I have ever owned....and I have had a lot of them! Sold it after a few years when I got married having a family....MISSED IT! have had others, including a diesel, a turbo diesel, another 88 short bed lifted 4x4 with a 347 crate motor and an 1987 STX high ryder that I had completely refinished that I drove for years and put over 100,000 miles on. We actually have a s/cab 4x4 now that my father in law gave to us with currently 50k on it. Rangers have long been a part of my life and glad they have been!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals