• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is your Ford Ranger story...(For Ford)

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
My first ranger was a 98 2wd 5spd with a 2.5 in it. I used to ride in it as a kid on my grandfathers farm. When I turned 17 I asked him if I could buy it to haul my dirt bikes with and he ended up giving it to me. The shape it was in was sad to say the least.
My Dad and I had to replace everything under the front of it steering, brakes and all.
We also had to put new rear brakes on it because you could actually see through the brake drums. Not to long after that I had to put new rear leaf spring shackles in it because the springs were pushing through the bed. All in total I had to replace the timing belt, radiator, tires, brakes, two clutches, rear, diff cover, alternator, the leaf springs, two clutch master-cylinders, and in the end I had to rebuild the rear half of the frame because the bumper was falling off.
When I was 18 and graduated from high school I drove it to California. Ended up broke down in the Nevada desert due to a snapped timing belt. Where a Nevada highway patrol officer pushed my truck with his crown vic something like 15 miles down the highway to get me out of the desert and into a truck stop so I wouldn't die in the heat.
Overall this truck ment more to me than any friend I ever had it was always there. It became a part of me everywhere I went people knew me by that truck, and they knew its story.
I drove that truck across the country twice it wasn't built with a/c and the heat never really ever worked. what finally killed it was my mom drove it to work one day, and someone pulled out in front of her and totaled it out but It gave its life to keep her safe.

This is the short version of the time I spent in that truck. The countless nights out in my friends back field pulling my friends out of ditches with it. Went sledding behind it countless offroad adventures hauling dirtbikes. you name it and this truck has done it jumped it raced it hit numerous deer. Its safe to say this truck shaped my childhood and id give anything to have it back....

Edit: At one point I had three friends that also had rangers. We cruised everywhere together, we called it the ranger train. Now I have an old 1989 bronco 2 and a 1988 ranger. I have been considering selling my current ranger and keeping my bronco then ill be on the look out for another 98+ ranger. I hope I can find another one that same ugly ass green color..

Last edited:

Sean's84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
In 1988 I got a 1984 ranger 4wd with about 40k on it as a graduation gift from my folks. Single cab, rubber floor, no ac. Summer of 1989 my girlfriend and I were run off the road by a couple of motorcycles and rolled the truck doing about 45mph. With no rollbar, the entire truck came down on the passenger side A pillar but the ranger cab didn't budge. That truck saved both of our lives that day.
Of course the 84 ranger was totaled, and as a replacement I picked up a 1984 bronco II with similar mileage, but with gauges instead of just lights. Major upgrade! I drove that little truck to Alaska (from Cali) three different years, and ran many back roads in it with the Santa Barbara 4wd club. The original 2.8 was overhauled in 1993, and I ended up putting a crate motor in it in 2000.
Around 2006, the truck refused to start one day and through my own negligence it sat forlornly in a corner of the yard for 9 years after that. One spring I finally couldn't take it anymore and invested a couple hundred bucks and amazingly fired it up. It has been our "farm truck" ever since, and is still operating today with 245k miles on the chassis.

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does mine have enough ranger left to be called a ranger still??

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Does mine have enough ranger left to be called a ranger still??
It's called "What is your Ford Ranger story?" and since yours started life as a Ranger.....

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I bought my 1992 when I was 16 on Christmas Eve 2002, daily drove it for 4 years before tearing it apart for a sheetmetal restoration in 2006. Still need to finish up a few things on it to be completely finished, but its driveable.

My 1994 was a friends truck I helped build back in 2006. I bought it from him in 2009. I finished most of the body work but its sat untouched since 2010, I'll get to it eventually!

Overall I've owned 5 Rangers. Just added a 1998 to the fleet for my Dad to use as a beater.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
11 years ago, I met the women who later became my wife. Her brother had this '93 Ranger Splash 4x4 that he wasn't driving any more and wouldn't part with. Over the years, I would see that truck sitting in the family's yard and thought "What a shame that truck isn't being driven or cared for. I had recently parted with the '88 F150 4x4 that I bought brand new in November of 1988. That had been the best vehicle I had ever owned. I missed that truck. Eventually, the family needed a significant amount of money for medical bills and I heard them mention putting the Ranger on Craigslist soon. After consulting with my wife, and also knowing that they wouldn't take an outright gift of that magnitude from us, I offered to buy the truck. They needed a lot more money than the blue book value. But it's family and they had poured a lot of money into helping my wife over the years before I met her and even during our marriage. So we paid them their asking price and I got the truck.

Since then, I started driving the truck and fixing what had deteriorated. Once It was reliable again, I started saving money to build it into a trail rig. Now, the truck is driven often and cared for properly and with all the sweat (and a few bloody knuckles) that I have put into it, I am having fun with a Ford truck again. The Ranger is a great size for my needs and I love it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My love for rangers started before I could even drive when my parents had a 1996 2wd 5 speed. It was the car all my siblings learned (tried learning) how to drive stick shift. I was about the only one of my siblings that actually liked driving it. My mom owned it for ten years or so, driving it everyday to work. She put 160k on it and gave it to me when she got a new vehicle. The odometer stopped a few months after I got it so I don't know how many miles it had. I drove it 3 years with no working odometer. I literally drove it until it couldn't be driven any more (broke frame from rust). That truck is one of my favorite's since it was sentimental to me. Had to let it go when I couldn't afford to fix it. Traded it for a nice trailer since scrap price around here made it where you cant sell a running and driving truck for $200. Since then I've owned 2 other rangers and a few other small trucks but none compare to rangers. Easy to work on. Parts are always available and not outrageously priced. I am hoping to get another 100k out of the truck I have now. I know people dog on the ranger all the time since its not full size or able to tow a fifth wheel but I don't care. Once you drive a ranger and get comfortable then nothing else matter. I know this isn't much of a story but that's why I like rangers so much.

83Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is my Ranger's story. My father bought a 1983 Ford Ranger brand new from a now long and forgotten dealership back in early 1984 or might have been late in 1983. I don't remember exact date I was only 3 or 4 at the time. The Ranger was to be used to to a boat and trailer but almost ended up in a local river due to the boat ram being a little to steep for the little 2.0 to pull the boat out of the water. The truck started going backwards into the river and had to have the wheels blocked before it went in too far, but it still ran and was used for family vacations to the mountains pulling a small pop up camper. I camper hell was added at this time so everyone could fit in the truck with three children (me and my two brothers) riding in the bed.
After a while my dad gave the truck to his father so he would have a small truck to run around our small town and to go fishing with it and no he didn't tow a boat with it. My grandfather had the truck for several years putting very few miles on it since he used it just to run to the local gas station for his cigarettes or to pick up what ever he needed.
When I turned 16 my dad taught me how to drive a manual with this little truck and I loved it.I started to drive it to school during my JR year in high school and would skip lunch just to be able to put gas in it. It had no a/c or power steering but was still alot of fun to drive, but then my grandfather passed away before my SR year and my grandmother had to give the truck back to my dad. My dad never thought about selling it that I know of and he kept driving it on and off for the next few years.
When I turn 21 I think it was my dad did something that I didn't see coming and he gave me the little Ranger and I have had it for the past 19 years driving on and off for the first few years before letting it set in yard cranking it and moving it around. I have told people who wanted to buy it it's not for sale because it is as much part of the family as I am. I am finally getting around to doing some much needed work on it to try and get it back on the road for my daily driver. I have had several cars and trucks but none mean more to me than that little 83 Ranger that has never left the family and never will I hope to maybe give it to my on child if I ever have any or to one of my nephews.

DewittRen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm afraid my Ranger story isn't nearly as exciting as some in this thread. Basically, I discovered testosterone boosting foods and wasn't even a Ranger guy until I tried out my buddy's Ranger over a weekend. He was out of town and asked me to run an errand for him. He told me to try out his Ranger if I wanted. And so I did. Bought mine a couple of months later. lol

Last edited:

Spiky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If it aint broke, give it more gas!
Still going strong

Heres my Ranger story. This is my 1998 4x4 XLT Super cab, 4.0. I bought it new,and said I would not buy another until I drove the wheels off this one. Well, I have 317,000 on the clock now. And those wheels are in no danger as of yet. Love my Ranger!

Attachments

Missy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sweetpea

I bought my ranger, Sweetpea, in March 2015 and have changed the look entirely. In August 2016 I was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident which has left me unable to ride. Thankfully Sweetpea is there to ensure that I enjoy not only showing her but also my R6.IMG_20180819_012145_339.jpg

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I got my first ford ranger (an 86 2.9, or 2.8?) For free when I was 16. It wasn't road worthy but I paid 75 bucks to a shady inspection shop for a sticker. I beat the hell out of it for 2 months and one day it caught fire driving home. Someone called the fire department but I had put the fire out and took off before they got there. It burst into flames twice more on the way home before i was unable to put it out and had to bail...

The fire department showed up and the guy goes... "We almost didn't come, we were certain people were prank calling us about this dumb truck on fire all over town" I kinda shrugged as my truck srarted melting into the street and said, i figured I'd put the fire out when I got home... I had to pay a 750 dollar fine to fix part of the road. :icon_rofl:

God knows why but 2 months driving that death trap and I fell in love with rangers. Ive had a ranger or two in my driveway for the past 25 years now.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've owned two Ford Rangers over the years and have a 2019 Crew Cab XL FX4 on order.

The first was a 1998 XLT manual RWD with a 2.5 Lima engine that I bought from a friend in 2009 with a blown engine. Replaced the engine, cleaned it up a little, and re-geared the 7.5" axle from 3.45:1 to 4.10:1 (no change in mileage - over geared to properly geared for the engine). The original intent was to recondition the truck for my daughter to have as a first vehicle. She showed absolutely no interest in it, so sold it to a buddy of mine who has a handy man business. He loves the thing and is still driving it today.

I bought my 2011 XLT 4X4 with a 4.0L SOHC new and still drive it today with no plans to replace it. I haven't done much customization to it outside of Jason Pace fiberglass cap and upgraded rear leaf springs. It gets used as my daily driver and as a truck. It is well maintained but not babied.

The 2019 Ranger will be to replace another vehicle that is hitting 20 years old and is developing issues I don't wish to deal with.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My current ranger... Bought new in 09. It aint fancy, just a fishing truck but I love it. Tried to give it a new paintjob last week but good god that failed. Thank god for plasti-dip. Peeled off my disaster and will try again next week. All i wanna do is paint the raised sections of the hood matte black like the rims and the lower few inches of the rockers and bed.

Mavrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
97 Ranger XL 3.0L long bed. Bought it new and it's still my daily driver. 265K on it now. Had some tranny work done a few years back nothing major. Mechanic said it runs better then his 08 does! I'm looking into a new one though, looks to be a nice ride.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals