• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is wrong with my locking hub...?

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Long story short, I've been having this intermittent strange noise coming from the passenger side while I'm driving. I've been trying to figure out what it is, and today after replacing the front wheel bearings I noticed this. Spinning the tire by hand sometimes the locking hub would make this clicking sound, and then it will go away after a few seconds. I messed with it some more and it seems like when I locked the hub it wouldn't do it, then when I unlocked it again what you see in the video would happen.

Video link

Any thoughts? I don't want to go and spend hundreds of dollars on new locking hubs if I don't have to.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not fully unlocking, so the the axle shaft is sticking out too far or the sliding lock is not coming out far enough, I know duh
The "clicking" is the axle splines and/or hub splines touching every now and then

You can check other side to see what non-clicking lengths should be as far as separation when unlocked

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That sounds to me also like something in the hub isn't engaging or releasing right (though it's not possible for the axle shaft to stick out too far unless the seal at the rear of the spindle is hosed, which that may be something to check for as well).

If the seals are fine, then I'd suggest pop the guts out of the locking hub and see if maybe some water might've gotten in there and made for some rust. Unless it's severely rusted, you should be able to clean things up and then reassemble it with a very light coat of bearing grease on things (no more than a light coat though, as too much grease inside the hub could cause this same issue too).

A pic showing parts you'll find inside the hub (there isn't really much to them):
hub.jpg

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I think I figured out the issue. As strange as this sounds, I believe the new rotor I got was machined wrong or something. I took the wheel back off today and I noticed that I couldn't fully push the locking hub onto the face of the rotor, there was a small gap all around, something like 1/16"-1/8". It felt like something was stopping it from seating all the way down. (hopefully that makes sense, I should've taken a picture) For kicks, I still had one of the old rotors so I swapped that back on and the hub will now seat all the way down on that rotor. I took it for a test drive after and the noise I'd been hearing while driving didn't reappear.

But, when I had the truck in the air the locking hub still did make that clicking noise occasionally, however now it was much much quieter. I did notice when I had the hub off though that the part inside of the hub with the splines could move in and out quite a bit. I don't recall the hub on the other side doing that, so I'm not sure if that's broken and that's the cause of that. However, the hub still seems to lock and unlock properly, so for now I'll probably just keep running it and if it ever does fail maybe I'll just dish out the money for the Jeep hubs.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
My hubs do this as well on my 93 explorer, they only seem to fit in one orientation, just try turning and seating the hub changing the hole the lugs go through till it properly seats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals