• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this?

spatula

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I have a newbie question for you. I'm still in my first week of Ranger ownership... When I prop the hood open, there is what looks like a second hood prop behind it, but it's not hinged, it's removable and runs the full width of the front end, then has a 90°bend and goes down in front of the battery and has another 90° bend. What is this for?

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yep... jack hande

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Jack handle, throw it away, nobody uses that stuff anymore they just call a tow truck....heck many new cars don't even have a spare tire, there's no room for one LOL. Been trying to find a jack handle like that for my 87 Ranger, the jack is behind the seat but the handle is gone of all things LOL. Haven't been to any of the pick a part yards for several months due to all this virus crap so I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of good stuff.

I think most people use their own jack and lug wrench so I guess a lot of the factory stuff just gets tossed out over the years, surprised that one is still in there.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think most people use their own jack and lug wrench so I guess a lot of the factory stuff just gets tossed out over the years, surprised that one is still in there.
I still have the original jack, lug wrench, bracket and handle under the hood. But looking at the factory jack, I'm not using that thing unless I absolutely have to lol

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I still have the original jack, lug wrench, bracket and handle under the hood. But looking at the factory jack, I'm not using that thing unless I absolutely have to lol
That's my thoughts as well, I just like to have all the original stuff with the vehicle...I've ran into issues though using an aftermarket jack, once the tire is flat, you aren't getting many jacks under the vehicle to jack it up so my fix was to carry a scissor jack too with its low profile you can typically squeeze one of them in somewhere to at least lift the vehicle enough to get a better jack under it.

Those factory jacks never have appealed to me as anything I'd want to trust holding my vehicle up LOL...the one in my Bronco 2 looks like its had fluid leaking out of it so it probably wouldn't even work.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
On some trucks, it's also the crank to get the spare tire down. I'd keep it right there unless you take the spare out of its hiding place and keep it somewhere else.

spatula

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Wow... It's so long!

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense. I think I'll pull out the jack and test everything this weekend and give her a thorough wash down. I just vacuumed inside and pulled out hardware store receipts from 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2010 from under the seats, plus about $2 in change! Win!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I always carry a jack, lug wrench and spare tire rather than need them and not have them.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a bed cover, so keep the spare in the bed. I have a different jack and jack handle. I use an 18 inch breaker bar with the appropriate socket for a lug wrench. I keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in each of my vehicles. Also one of them small electric air pumps, a tubeless tire repair kit and a pair of jumper cables. I've never used a spare, and I've been driving since 1976.

Neither my Ranger or my Lightning came with that rod under the hood for lowering the spare. I got one from a junk yard to get the spares down from both trucks and put the spares in the bed under a cover.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I carry a small floor jack, 4-way lug wrench and the spare in the bed. on the escape I moved the spare to the inside and made a shelf over top of it, the crank-down for the escape is junk .
3C549006-74EE-480A-B90C-6E7A974644B7.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jack handle, throw it away, nobody uses that stuff anymore they just call a tow truck....heck many new cars don't even have a spare tire, there's no room for one LOL. Been trying to find a jack handle like that for my 87 Ranger, the jack is behind the seat but the handle is gone of all things LOL. Haven't been to any of the pick a part yards for several months due to all this virus crap so I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of good stuff.

First gens are tricky too. If you don't have the handle sitting just right the rattle will drive you nuts. Rather than have them correctly secured in the hole in the inner fender behind in front of the battery most have them backwards with the handle resting on the overflow/windshield reservoir. Looks like crap but no rattle.

And yes, they are few and far between to boot.

Factory jacks are a screw mechanism, not hydraulic. They don't work too bad, I use that style of jack quite a bit in junkyards.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First gens are tricky too. If you don't have the handle sitting just right the rattle will drive you nuts. Rather than have them correctly secured in the hole in the inner fender behind in front of the battery most have them backwards with the handle resting on the overflow/windshield reservoir. Looks like crap but no rattle.

Factory jacks are a screw mechanism, not hydraulic. They don't work too bad, I use that style of jack quite a bit in junkyards.
The two jacks I have are both screw mechanisms. Prefer them over hydraulics.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've yet to see a screw style jack fail as long as it's on a good base. Scissor style on the other hand... I've seen them fail at the hinge points. I've kept my OEM jack but I do also have a hydraulic bottle jack in the 2011.

I need to build a platform with a drawer system in the bed of the 2019 if I'm going to put anymore gear in it. All the cubby holes and empty spaces are filled. Come to think of it, I forget what style jack the 2019 has. It might be a scissor style. I only messed with it once to lube it and I think it was a scissor jack.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

Hmm, I didn't know that about those jacks, I always thought they were hydraulic...always learnin' something here.

I need to get a jack handle for the Ranger, the jack isn't very useful without it LOL. I'm in the process of repainting the lower blue section on my Ranger so I pulled the spare tire down since I had the bumpers off what a PITA that was, the spare hadn't been taken down for a long time obviously had to take a can of penetrating oil to the I-Bolt to get it loosened up, but its all freely moving now. Anything I can put on that stuff to keep it all from sticking in the future? I thought anti-seize but wouldn't that attract road grime?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals