• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this metal piece called that sits above the spring in the front? Is it often replaced?

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It appears to be riveted in place? Mine seem to be pretty rusted - I think they will be fine, but was just wondering since I will be swapping a lot of things out soon.
truck spring top.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's the coil bucket.

They do offer replacements.

Check the frame behind the bucket too. Wouldn't be the first time it has rusted through.

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is it something that can be DIY'd? And is it uncommon to replace them?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That would depend on your skill set and tool box... but sure... fab away.

Living in the rust belr.belt... we fix another of rust.

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. Do mine look like they need to be replaced? Can you tell from the photo?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They can rust out. And dirt and leaves can trap moisture between the bucket and frame causing rust. I had frame rot because of that very reason. I would test with a punch or chisel and hammer. If you can find soft spots or are able to punch holes thru then repair is necesary. I documented my fix in my cheap race truck build thread.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@jcook100: While it is very hard to tell from just a single picture, the fact that you have paint still on the metal is a good sign.
You want to look between the bucket and the frame for rust - more/less where the upper arrow is on your picture.​

Very rusty is where you see daylight through the metal.
What do the bed side over the rear tire look like?​
On other hand, we can tell your shocks need to be replaced as the oil from inside them has leaked out and has coated the tube.

1great40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’m seeing the same thing on the passenger side on my ‘86 2wd frame. I have not been able to source the spring tower or “ bucket “ as you call it. It seems the replacements start with 1988

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’m seeing the same thing on the passenger side on my ‘86 2wd frame. I have not been able to source the spring tower or “ bucket “ as you call it. It seems the replacements start with 1988
You should be able to use one for an 88+ on your 86. The frames are mostly the same from 83-97. Not completely the same, but mostly the same. IIRC suspension and body mounting points are practically identical for that entire range, but frame horns changed for bumper mounting.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It's hard to tell, but the lower arrow just below it looks like there is a crack. I would make sure that its not part of the bracket in question. Otherwise, you would need to worry about that more than the rust IMO.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's hard to tell, but the lower arrow just below it looks like there is a crack. I would make sure that its not part of the bracket in question. Otherwise, you would need to worry about that more than the rust IMO.
I see what you are talking about now and agree 100%. Wasn't on a Ranger, but I found this suprise on my 68 F-100 last year. Don't know how well the pictures show it. I under the driver side looking for a power steering leak and just happend to crawl under to the passenger side to look at something. I was just driving it a few days prior when the power steering failed. I knew that there were cracks going from the bottom of the tower up to the bottom bolt holes, but looked solid from there up and I wasn't driving the truck much and figured I'd remove, weld, and plate them before much longer. Looking at it after the fact it is obvious that they were cracked well past the bottom bolt holes and had been for a while (no clean metal). but couldn't see it looking at them prior

IMG_0928.jpg

20200515_110614.jpg

On the left are the "originals" modified by previous owner (dad) for a slight lift in the 80s, replacements on the right. Truck had this one inch "lift" plus a two inch body lift before. I replaced the original springs with taller ones from a 70s model truck to regain that inch of lift. Still want to remove the body lift and maybe do a 2-4" suspension lift, but I'm scared of the current bed falling apart due to rust if I try.

1great40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know the thread is ancient but maybe I can help someone anyway. I called the vendor that made the spring tower that wasn't listed to fit the 86 Ranger. He said that he thought the part he sold and what was needed for the '86 chassis were the same except for the location of the mounting holes. I ordered the piece, and it turns out that it's the exact right part.
I did however need to cut out a piece of the vertical part of the frame rail and weld in a patch as it was rusted through.
It went back together perfectly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals