• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is the point of the ignition key lock?

2.9XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
A lot of people think it's stupid, but the button could save your life if the throttle sticks open. I almost went into a river one time because my LSC didn't have one. The throttle stuck open so I quickly turned the engine off and it went to the lock position so the steering wheel locked.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I think for the sake of standardization all the 1st gens had the key lock.
1st gen auto's have a floor shift, hence the need for the lock just like the manual trans.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
and the fun part about the lock is watching anybody who gets into it that isn't you try to take the key out and they can't figure it out.

Mike Tonon

Just to make things more complicated than they need to be. Just like the passenger door mirror saying "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". And not to mention the seatbelt light and chime. You're either putting your seatbelt on or you're not. No damn light/dinger needed!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals