• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What IS That Awful Noise?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the young bucks around here like to install fart cans on their four bangers and race around the neighborhood like they're something special. I laugh at them, but yesterday I got passed on the road by a guy driving what I THINK is a Subaru. I'm too old for street racing, so I let him go, but every time he shifted, the car sounded it was sneezing!

Would that be the blow off valve for a turbo? If so, YIKES that's a horrid noise!

I was listening to my truck during the emissions test today, and the blower REALLY screams at high RPM. At least THAT'S a pleasant sound!

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the blow off valve.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yea, and if you hear a subaru with a blow off valve then the owner is an idiot because it actually hurts performance swapping the bypass valve to a blow off valve in a vehicle with a MAF.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yea, and if you hear a subaru with a blow off valve then the owner is an idiot because it actually hurts performance swapping the bypass valve to a blow off valve in a vehicle with a MAF.
That figures! The young guys around here have a REAL problem with knowing how to properly set up a performance car . . .

Doesn't anyone read anymore? Grief!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
but BOV's are COOL!!! JK :)

yeah, I know, people are stupid now adays, I never really get to put them in their place either... given I don't street race, I'll accelerate as hard as I can until the speed limit though...

TheCiscoKid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most of those guys are just a bunch of fools. But you gotta be careful cause one in every 10 or so is wicked fast. My buddys are all turbo guys, and their set ups are putting out between 250-500 streetable horsepower. But you are right, most just bolt on a bunch of parts and give the others a bad name.

3literEarl91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddy has an 03 wrx and he put a valve that only vents part of the charge. It is not too loud and he has no problem with the stuttering that putting a bov on a maf vehicle usually comes with. Oh, his is not a bolt on machine. All parts were selected carefully and tuned properly.

Last edited:

TT50hmygod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 twin turbo
Transmission
Automatic
That figures! The young guys around here have a REAL problem with knowing how to properly set up a performance car . . .

Doesn't anyone read anymore? Grief!
I read. In fact I was reading your list of mods and thought to myself wow another Megasquirt user. Then I saw you were smog testing and had to ask. Did the vehicle you were smog testing have MS? I run MSII v 3.0 on my turbo car and I have no smog checks but alot of guys who live in smog areas can't run it cause it will fail them.

Oh do you still use megatune or did you switch to tunerstudio? I hear tuner studio is way better and easier to use. Haven't tried it yet since I'm build another motor with a larger turbo. Looking at the Garrett GT 3582R or the B&W bullseye s360. not sure which I will go with yet but it will have direct port nitrous to aid me in getting down the track in 10 seconds or less.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I read. In fact I was reading your list of mods and thought to myself wow another Megasquirt user. Then I saw you were smog testing and had to ask. Did the vehicle you were smog testing have MS?
Yes. I've run it through twice with the Megasquirt and it's passed both times without trouble.

I run MSII v 3.0 on my turbo car and I have no smog checks but alot of guys who live in smog areas can't run it cause it will fail them.
That's strange. Perhaps they have OBDII vehicles that require the plug-in?

Oh do you still use megatune or did you switch to tunerstudio? I hear tuner studio is way better and easier to use. Haven't tried it yet since I'm build another motor with a larger turbo. Looking at the Garrett GT 3582R or the B&W bullseye s360. not sure which I will go with yet but it will have direct port nitrous to aid me in getting down the track in 10 seconds or less.
I use Megatune. I did my tuning with a narrow band sensor, too!

TT50hmygod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 twin turbo
Transmission
Automatic
So you only have sniffer tests where you are? The guys who fail have the OBD scanner hooked up and it throws all kinds of codes.

You used a narrowband? wow. I wouldn't think you could get a good tune with narrow band. I use an LC1 wideband and have one output to the digital guage and the other to megatune. I have a laptop that stays in the car whenever I drive it. I'm always tunning the car for max fuel economy out of boost and max power in boost.

Last edited:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So you only have sniffer tests where you are? The guys who fail have the OBD scanner hooked up and it throws all kinds of codes.
My truck is a '93, so it doesn't HAVE OBDII. The tests here require it if the vehicle came equipped with OBDII.

You used a narrowband? wow. I wouldn't think you could get a good tune with narrow band.
Yes, a lot of people here thought so, too. The Mega Manual claims that tuning with a narrowband sensor is possible, and my truck is certainly confirmation of that claim.

I use an LC1 wideband and have one output to the digital guage and the other to megatune. I have a laptop that stays in the car whenever I drive it. I'm always tunning the car for max fuel economy out of boost and max power in boost.
My original tune was set with a narrowband sensor. I went to an LC-1 for awhile, and I was astonished at how good my tune actually was. After burning the LC-1 out (long story) I went back to the narrowband unit and I've been pleased with it.

The ONLY trouble I have, is a persistent difficulty with a stalling issue after the engine is warm and re-started. I haven't been able to figure that out, yet.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
there are all kinds of different sounding BOV's

ive heard turkey and duck calls before, or a loud screaming. then there are the fluttering sounding ones on the nice cars..

i dont like the ones that just go PPPSSSSSSSSSST everytime you shift gears.. dosent sound right

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a BOV with a MAF and if works, but the code has been changed in the tune to allow for a BOV. Basically it ignores MAF signal when the throttle is closed above a certain RPM.

I have an HKS valve and while it's very loud, it's not a hideous sound. Basically it's the sound of 25 psi escaping through a 1" hole, a pressure relief valve, because that's what it is.

TT50hmygod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 twin turbo
Transmission
Automatic
I have a hot start issue on my car with MSII. I have to go into clear flood mode to get an easy restart. I was trying to tune my car better to eliminate the issue before I broke a ring land.

I've never turbo'd a MAF equiped vehicle before so I will have to search to figure out what you guys are talking about with the BOV/MAF issue. I work with speed density on my car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals