• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What gear ratio.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Tire size effects this as well, the larger the tires you use the higher "numerical" ratio you need to compensate.

If you run large off-road tires you even want to consider 4.56 to 5.13
My Nissan came stock with 4.63 gears and 235/75R15s, when I SAS'd it I went with 5.13s on 35 which brought me back close to the stock gearing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My truck has 3.73 gears from the factory and I put 31” tires on it. I live in hilly country, so that makes a difference but with that being said, 4.10 would be the highest gear I would go with for decent performance and fuel mileage. If you are planning to do any hauling or towing, I would recommend 4.56 for more power but there will be a fuel mileage penalty.

The 3.45 and 3.55 gears Ford put in some Rangers was a flat out crime meant to bump up fleet mpg numbers. My 1998 had 3.45 gears in it and got about 21 mpg. I upgraded to a more appropriate 4.10 axle and there was no change in mileage. It just goes to show they put too tall of a gear in the axle and it actually hurt fuel mileage and the truck couldn’t get out of it’s own way until it got to about 70 mph. 3.73 would probably have been a good compromise between get up and go and better fuel mileage. This was the factory 225/70R14 tire size which is about 27”.

Long story short, do yourself a favor and go with 4.10 at a minimum for a best overall match for the tire size you are running.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you are planning to do any hauling or towing, I would recommend 4.56 for more power but there will be a fuel mileage penalty.
That really depends. If you do mostly city driving lower gears can actually end up improving fuel mileage since your engine is working alot less at low speeds and taking off from a stop. It'll definitely have the opposite effect cruising on the highway so it really depends on what the truck is gonna be used for.

That said, I agree 4.10 is the happy medium for most rangers.

My truck cruises great on the highway at 70 getting around 25mpg with 4.10s. Can't be mad at that. :dunno:

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Man i sure do wish i had the funds to get the 4.10s i know they would be best, however i think that till i have the 4.0 rebuilt, and installed, and all the kinks worked out, and rebuild the ranger fund. Im not sure what im gonna do.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Option a

Leave the 3.73 dana 28 in front, install explorer 8.8 limited slip 3.73 with disks. Requires drive shaft work now and again when i do the dana 35 swap ,once i get new gears someday.

Downside more money to redo work but get the best gear ratio i have

Option b

Swap the dana 35, and 8.8 from either of the parts explorers, 3.27 or 3.55 gears, only have to have axels modified the one time

Downside worse gear ratio options, but im not going to smaller tires lol. Could possibly make me hate the way my truck gets up and goes.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just had 4.10s put in my 3.0 Ranger a few months back. Lovin it. Entirely different truck than it was with 3.73s. No more hunting around between Drive and OD. And this hill I frequent, it used to downshift out of OD going up that hill. Now, with OD off, I hit the button and it upshifts into OD on the same dang hill. Much better on the highway at speed as well, it's still pulling nicely at 80 mph. Going to put 4.10s in my 4.0 Mustang soon. Maybe even my Lightning.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
I just had 4.10s put in my 3.0 Ranger a few months back. Lovin it. Entirely different truck than it was with 3.73s. No more hunting around between Drive and OD. And this hill I frequent, it used to downshift out of OD going up that hill. Now, with OD off, I hit the button and it upshifts into OD on the same dang hill. Much better on the highway at speed as well, it's still pulling nicely at 80 mph. Going to put 4.10s in my 4.0 Mustang soon. Maybe even my Lightning.
How much did that set you back💰

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
3.73 with a 4.0L isn't bad with 235's or I'm sure 31's wouldn't be too bad, the '91 manual trans explorer I had I put 3.73's in, shimmed the limited slip and it went well and got right around 20mpg with 235 75 15's.

If it were me I'd probably just put in the 3.73 axle since you have it, when you are doing the spring pad flip, move the alignment pin holes forward a little which will help with your driveshaft fitment so you don't have to do anything there. Then just keep your eyes open for a 3.73 D35 to swap in, if you want to get crazy, try to find a 1356 transfer case and just use it's front driveshaft, that's what I did... most of my parts came from half off days at the junkyard... I think I got paid $50 to do a disc brake swap on my 8.8 by just buying a different axle and selling it with the drums...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How much did that set you back💰
Don't recall. Bought them from CARiD. Motive Gear set. I have a friend that has a shop a mile from where I live. So I dropped it there and walked home. Walked back a few days later when done. I also had him put a shift kit in the automatic. That and the 4.10s has made it a wonderful toy again.

I'll check my CARiD account tomorrow, the order is still there.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
3.73 with a 4.0L isn't bad with 235's or I'm sure 31's wouldn't be too bad, the '91 manual trans explorer I had I put 3.73's in, shimmed the limited slip and it went well and got right around 20mpg with 235 75 15's.

If it were me I'd probably just put in the 3.73 axle since you have it, when you are doing the spring pad flip, move the alignment pin holes forward a little which will help with your driveshaft fitment so you don't have to do anything there. Then just keep your eyes open for a 3.73 D35 to swap in, if you want to get crazy, try to find a 1356 transfer case and just use it's front driveshaft, that's what I did... most of my parts came from half off days at the junkyard... I think I got paid $50 to do a disc brake swap on my 8.8 by just buying a different axle and selling it with the drums...
That's one of the benefits of a manual, they can compensate for less gearing since you can rev it out a bit more before a shift. With an automatic you're stuck shifting when it wants to. :icon_rofl:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's one of the benefits of a manual, they can compensate for less gearing since you can rev it out a bit more before a shift. With an automatic you're stuck shifting when it wants to. :icon_rofl:
You can manually shift an automatic. I do it all the time. I rev the hell out of mine, since it has a large tube intake and no muffler, and it's a 3.0. Loves to rev, more so now than when it was stock. I started manually shifting, mainly for using when slowing for stops, saves the brakes. Then I just kept doing. Rarely ever let it shift itself anymore.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The lower the numerical value of the gear ratio the less low end torque you get. I.e a 3.27 ratio has less take off power than a 3.73 ratio. The higher the number the more power you have but loose highway speed/mileage.

Tire size effects this as well, the larger the tires you use the higher "numerical" ratio you need to compensate.

For say 31" tires...
3.27 sucks
3.55 sucks
3.73 is "OK-ish"
4.10 is good
4.56 would be beastly

If you run large off-road tires you even want to consider 4.56 to 5.13
What happens if one swaps in a 5.0l Ford engine, or any other v8 engine into a ranger with a stock lower axle gear ratio?
Would that impact on the differential also?

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
From what vehicle did you source the 4.10 from?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What happens if one swaps in a 5.0l Ford engine, or any other v8 engine into a ranger with a stock lower axle gear ratio?
Would that impact on the differential also?
Just gives you more power and torque at whatever ratio you have.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From what vehicle did you source the 4.10 from?
I bought them from CARiD. Manufactured by Motive Gear. My friend Rick says they are "The best gears out there. Not a lot of fiddling to get them set right."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals