• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What exhaust setup for my 1989 ranger 2.9L?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so i have been looking around a little bit and have heard good things about a few different mufflers. But what setup sounds the loudest and with the deep roar of a tone that im looking for? Currently i just have a glasspack that my friend practically begged me to let him put on, it currently doesnt have any piping after the muffler tho since i guess he had to cut off the muffler due to rust. This set up is loud and sounds pretty cool and powerful, but i was looing for something more "real" sounding.

I have heard the flowmaster 40, " " 44, thrush welded setups all sound good. But which of these have the sound im looking for? I like it loud, and would like it to (if possible at all) to cruise somewhat quieter and ROAR at high revs. I am pretty sure you get the idea lol

Also, i love the look of dual exhaust setups and it makes the vehicle look more powerful in most peoples opinions... should i do this to my truck? I have heard it sounds crappy because of it being on a v6, but thats other peoples opinions. Also, should i do this will i be wanting the true duals, or can i just run a y-pipe after the muffler and going to either sides exiting out the side by the wheel? Will this change the sound at all and how?

For after market parts, i just have a cold air set up right now. What other things can i do to get a better sound from my truck? Thanks a bunch :D

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
on my old 2.9 i had true duals with 2.5" from the manifolds to 2 flowmaster super 44s then 3" straight back under the bumper with 4" chrome tips.

i think it sounded good, loved it actually.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on my old 2.9 i had true duals with 2.5" from the manifolds to 2 flowmaster super 44s then 3" straight back under the bumper with 4" chrome tips.

i think it sounded good, loved it actually.
How much did that end up costing? I heard that true duals are expensive. thats why i had also asked about the y pipe idea

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
the local shop charged me around 200 if i remember correctly.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What kind of budget are you on for this?

Something like my old B2?
$50- 40 series and a side pipe...

Or maybe something like my Ranger?
$600- Headers, 2.5" highflow cat, 2.5"/dual 2.5" Deltaflow 40series, 5" single center exit.

You can go crazy with exhaust, it's just how much you wanna put into it.
For your truck, I'd scrap the oem dual cats, from the y-pipe flange back run 2.5", high flow cat, single in/ single out Deltaflow Flowmaster 40 series, single 2.5" tailpipe w/ 3"x 12" long tip. That can easily be done for $250.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of budget are you on for this?

Something like my old B2?
$50- 40 series and a side pipe...

Or maybe something like my Ranger?
$600- Headers, 2.5" highflow cat, 2.5"/dual 2.5" Deltaflow 40series, 5" single center exit.

You can go crazy with exhaust, it's just how much you wanna put into it.
For your truck, I'd scrap the oem dual cats, from the y-pipe flange back run 2.5", high flow cat, single in/ single out Deltaflow Flowmaster 40 series, single 2.5" tailpipe w/ 3"x 12" long tip. That can easily be done for $250.
Basically, i am a student that make a minimum of 15 hours a week plus tips as a delivery driver. I need to factor in gas, plates, etc and not a whole lot else since i dont drink often or waste my cash on similar things (i am pretty proud of that :p). So if it will sound awesome, i will pay the cash to have it done. I'm obviously not rich, but no bills = pretty good budject imo lol.

Its tough to make a decision on what i wanna do because ic ant actually hear it for myself before i do it, i have to take other people's word and opinions on it. I am willing to spend the money if it will sound awesome and make people look twice at my truck, and then with duals i get the looks too.

Do you happen to know of where i can buy this stuff? I am new to this stuff so my first bet would be googling it blindly lol. Thanks for your input guys

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jegs summit racing jcwhitney autopartswarehouse eBay craigslist rockauto, just to name a few

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jegs summit racing jcwhitney autopartswarehouse eBay craigslist rockauto, just to name a few
ok thanks. So you guys figure that going dual exhaust will make it sound good? I've heard a few people on here putting down doing it to a 2.9l

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And what are some good brands/models that i should get for my setup? Such as the highflow cat, muffler, etc

jhammel85

I'm using a magnaflow strait through muffler on my truck. I just chopped off the old and welded in the new one. Instead of welding though, you can get I.D-O.D adaptors and use muffler clamps.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm using a magnaflow strait through muffler on my truck. I just chopped off the old and welded in the new one. Instead of welding though, you can get I.D-O.D adaptors and use muffler clamps.
Ok. Thanks for the input. From what ive been hearing, i am thinking of going to the flowmaster 40s or 44s. If im gonna do a dual setup, get 2 mufflers right? Just figured i'd ask since i think i saw a muffler or two with the 4 ports. :p

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a single in dual out muffler and run you duals that way. This will create better exhaust scavaging and keep the velocity up in the exhaust. Plus it will sound better.

I would do 2 1/2 into the muffler then dual 2 1/4 pipes out to some 3" tips. That would sound the best.

And personally, I prefer the 40 series.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a single in dual out muffler and run you duals that way. This will create better exhaust scavaging and keep the velocity up in the exhaust. Plus it will sound better.

I would do 2 1/2 into the muffler then dual 2 1/4 pipes out to some 3" tips. That would sound the best.

And personally, I prefer the 40 series.
Thanks. So would it matter where i put the pipes out then? Like which do u guys think would be best? I was thinking of just going out the sides behind each tire like stock, but duals. I was thinking that would be better than the usual both out the back things :p

And any good brands or anything for highflow cats? Should i do the headers or will stock be fine? what are the benifits? :p

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pipe location is just personal taste. theyll both sound about the same.

high flow cats arent really worth the money, so just get a cheapo from jcwhitney.

headers do add some hp and tq, but for the price tag on good headers, id spend your money else where.

personally, none of this will gain you any power, its more for just sound, so if all you want is louder and deeper, than do the cat and header.

if not, then just do a cat back on it and call it a day, its a 2.9, not a 5.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals