• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What exhaust setup for my 1989 ranger 2.9L?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pipe location is just personal taste. theyll both sound about the same.

high flow cats arent really worth the money, so just get a cheapo from jcwhitney.

headers do add some hp and tq, but for the price tag on good headers, id spend your money else where.

personally, none of this will gain you any power, its more for just sound, so if all you want is louder and deeper, than do the cat and header.

if not, then just do a cat back on it and call it a day, its a 2.9, not a 5.0
Lol i know. I would LOVE the deeper louder sound... buuuut what would the pricetag look like for that? :p

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Custom catback 450 at local muffler shop with flowmaster. Headers are 200-300 and high flow cat is 50-80 so like 700 for everything roughly.

If you bought everything and did the work yourself. Cut that price in half.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Custom catback 450 at local muffler shop with flowmaster. Headers are 200-300 and high flow cat is 50-80 so like 700 for everything roughly.

If you bought everything and did the work yourself. Cut that price in half.
How hard is it to do that cat and headers myself? I've never done it but i could imagine that the headers at least would be a bit of a pain. And do you think it is worth doing for that much money? I know it would sound better, but would it perform better enough to make it worth that?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THE headers wont be so bad if you just get new y pipes so everything from the header back is new.

the cat i linked "SHOULD" bolt in place. if you get one thats a high flow and made for the truck, it just unbolts. and bolts in.

now for the exhaust i linked. you just need to add a flowmaster si/do (single in, dual out) muffler.

personally, id get a thrush fully welded muffler. there exactly the same. but half the price.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
THE headers wont be so bad if you just get new y pipes so everything from the header back is new.

the cat i linked "SHOULD" bolt in place. if you get one thats a high flow and made for the truck, it just unbolts. and bolts in.

now for the exhaust i linked. you just need to add a flowmaster si/do (single in, dual out) muffler.

personally, id get a thrush fully welded muffler. there exactly the same. but half the price.
Thanks alot. Just one more questions though lol, is there a better place to listen to people with the same truck as me with these mufflers? I only know of youtube and thats not always the greatest

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks alot. Just one more questions though lol, is there a better place to listen to people with the same truck as me with these mufflers? I only know of youtube and thats not always the greatest
check the video forum here. theres some trs members that have posted vids of flowmasters on there 2.9s

other than that youtube is the only place i know of

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check the video forum here. theres some trs members that have posted vids of flowmasters on there 2.9s

other than that youtube is the only place i know of
Ok thanks alot for the help :)

Loue Whose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks. So you guys figure that going dual exhaust will make it sound good? I've heard a few people on here putting down doing it to a 2.9l
Just keep in mind 'sound' is subjective. If you have a very particular sound in your head, it makes getting exactly what you hear/hope to hear, tricky, or worse - impossible. I think you'll find you can make yer truck sound pretty cool. For what it's worth, I just did duals on my '89 2.9 4X4 : manifold to 2in pipes to 14in bullet each side (..... can't thnk of the brand, like a cherry bomb) then back to more 2in pipe for two feet , then into 8in bullet each side, and finished with 45degreee b4 rear wheel. I clamped it all up and still driving it round, if I decide I got there - I'll weld it up. If not I can still take it apart and keep experimenting. Also, I heard the same BS about doin the mighty 2.9 - don't mind the haters, it's YOUR truck.
R.B.G.
ManorsCreep.com

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
lol......

you've responded to a 12 year old thread....:haha:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals