• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: What else should i replace on my 90' Bii suspension

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there,
I'm about to replace my front and rear shocks, coil springs and leafs springs. I was just wondering what else I should replace while I'm down there. Bushings(which ones)? Nuts? U bolts? As you can probably tell, im really not too keen on what all goes into suspension as I can't find a good answer online. However, I'm gearing up to get this done and want to order all the necessary parts to restore my suspension for longevity and performance purposes and would hate to just do the shocks and springs with the vehicle being 32 years old. Thank you for any information you can provide. I truly appreciate it.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nuts and U bolts don't have to be replaced unless they no longer hold stuff together. You may want to either rebuild or replace the steering box if it leaks. If it doesn't leak, leave it. The steering shaft can be a problem and they don't sell a coupler if I remember right. That's why I made a billet stainless steering shaft from ebay stuff. It wasn't hard.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would look at the pivot bushings and radius arm bushings as well. Another member recommended I replace the coil spring seats when replacing the coil springs.

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Update.

REAR Suspension:
Replaced rear leafs with Dorman 42-821. Reused 4wd spacer off Original leafs as the replacements do not provide this; also reused leaf spring center bolts as the replacement is not long enough to thread. Make sure you have 2-3 threads protruding from nut.

Replaced rear shock Absorbers with Monroe 58608 Load Adjusting Shocks

Replaced rear shackles with Superior RideEFFEX 2 Inch Shackle Kit - 13-4100. Used the 2nd slot from the bottom of opening for 1 inch lift(1st slot is 2 inch lift, center is stock, 1st above center is 1 inch drop, 2nd above center below shackle bushing is 2 inch drop) These leafs will not allow for stock nor lowering positions. Only 1 and 2 inch lift.

Sway bar bushings replaced with Moog K8657

All Leaf bolts/nuts replaced with Grade 8 9/16 4 1/2" bolts with nylon lock nuts along with grade 8 washers to make up for lack of flange bolts and nuts

FRONT Suspension:
Coil Springs Replaced with Skyjacker 132 1.5-2" Lift Softride Coil Spring

Coil Spring Isolator replaced with Daystar KU09021BK

Front Shock Absorbers replaced with RS9000XL RS999039(Setting 5/6 seems to match rear springs best so far; haven't messed with them enough to find my favorite setting)

Radius Arm bushings replaced with MOOG K8631

Stabilizer bar bushings replaced with K8657 like the rear sway

Passenger side lower shock to radius arm bolt sheered and was replaced with Dorman 31001 Shock Bolt Kit

Axle pivot bushings to be replaced at a later date when I have a ball joint press

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well done @A4LD_Nghtme! Very through and well thought out...I outta know 'cause I'm doing the exact same thing to my '88 BII! :ROFLMAO:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why replace all the springs, if they ain't been "sprung" ?

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Why replace all the springs, if they ain't been "sprung" ?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but after 33 years of wear and tear, copious amount of rust on the coils(among other places) and the rear leafs sagging meant it called for all to be replaced. Now it rides like it used to, sits level(thanks to the coil springs) and has about 1.5 inches of lift all around(springs and lift shackles) to keep it close to stock with a bit more clearance. Actually it rides quite a bit better now thanks to the new shocks and springs.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but after 33 years of wear and tear, copious amount of rust on the coils(among other places) and the rear leafs sagging meant it called for all to be replaced. Now it rides like it used to, sits level(thanks to the coil springs) and has about 1.5 inches of lift all around(springs and lift shackles) to keep it close to stock with a bit more clearance. Actually it rides quite a bit better now thanks to the new shocks and springs.
Ahhh, that's awesome man. Thanks for enlightening me about that :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals