• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used to be hopeful looking under the hood of trucks. Always hoped that the engine would be so easy to work on, but they still cram half the engine under the dash.
A customer always buys Chevys and has a HD. He complained that the cabin is pushed forward so his left foot is resting on the fender well. Says it's uncomfortable.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think it has to do with the US adopting the europeon style pedestrian crash standards
That was it exactly. All the pickups have high front ends now, even the smaller ones. I can't figure out how mowing down pedestrians you can't see because of a tall front end helps their safety.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I think it has to do with the US adopting the europeon style pedestrian crash standards
What standard is this? A truck's hood is taller than a Civic's roof. A Miata has to look up to see the top of the wheel well. I can't imagine the weight difference making a huge difference in injury.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
What standard is this? A truck's hood is taller than a Civic's roof. A Miata has to look up to see the top of the wheel well. I can't imagine the weight difference making a huge difference in injury.
I dont know the specfics but it has something to do with energy absorption when smoking a jaywalker.

Big tall plastic grills with nothing behind them evidently do it better then chrome bumpers and steel hoods

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The US actually has no pedestrian safety standards. Instead of implementing standards for pedestrian safety, the NHTSA chooses to educate pedestrians on how not to get run over:

And big trucks aren't sold in any meaningful numbers anywhere else in the world that would have standards that influence their design.

The styling of trucks has a lot to do with marketing and image as well as massive capability. If you want to have rated payload capacity over 2k lbs in a half ton truck then you need to have suspension travel. If you want massive towing capacity, then you need lots of frontal area for bigger heat exchangers. So there's some amount of justification for larger, taller trucks but so much of it is just about making buyers feel more macho.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The US actually has no pedestrian safety standards. Instead of implementing standards for pedestrian safety, the NHTSA chooses to educate pedestrians on how not to get run over:

And big trucks aren't sold in any meaningful numbers anywhere else in the world that would have standards that influence their design.

The styling of trucks has a lot to do with marketing and image as well as massive capability. If you want to have rated payload capacity over 2k lbs in a half ton truck then you need to have suspension travel. If you want massive towing capacity, then you need lots of frontal area for bigger heat exchangers. So there's some amount of justification for larger, taller trucks but so much of it is just about making buyers feel more macho.
These old rams can make 600ft-lbs easy. Plenty of airflow with a bellybutton-height hood. I'd say 100% marketing then.
1995-dodge-ram-3500-59-cummins-diesel-5-speed-manual-108k-miles-12-valve-7-3397618066.jpg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

I dont so much buy the more cooling. Yes obviously theres more capacity for that but plenty of old trucks could haul 2k+ usually with massive iron blocked big blocks and overheating usually wasnt an issue unless under extreme circumatances.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I dont so much buy the more cooling. Yes obviously theres more capacity for that but plenty of old trucks could haul 2k+ usually with massive iron blocked big blocks and overheating usually wasnt an issue unless under extreme circumatances.

Smaller engines running at higher RPMS with twin turbos must generate a lot more heat. I can't imagine how they wouldn't.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Personally i wish i could find a clean 6.9 bullnose with a 4sp for a decent price
You really do love your underpowered, leaking Fords. (<—That’s a 2.9l insult too.) The 6.9l was probably the worst engine available in an F250/350 back then. I’d rather have a 300.

The best place to find a 6.9l bullnose is in the right lane, going about 6mph, struggling to get out of its own way. Just follow the trail of oil and black soot cloud… they both lead to a 6.9l

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
These old rams can make 600ft-lbs easy. Plenty of airflow with a bellybutton-height hood. I'd say 100% marketing then.
View attachment 83397
The last year for that bodystyle truck was 1998, and with the Cummins it was rated at 235hp/460 ft-lbs. It had a max tow rating of 13k in the right configuration.

Here's a cool old Motorweek review of 3500 trucks from this era for reference (note the built in step on the Ford cab and the tow ratings that could be outdone by some new half tons):

Payload stresses frame and suspension. Towing stresses the drivetrain. You need more cooling now because they tow a massive amount more now.
The modern version of that truck in your photo can be equipped to tow over 37k lbs, and they have a pretty rigorous standardized towing test now (which was only adopted for 2013 model year):

So if you're designing a truck, and you know it needs to tow and haul and have some amount of off road capability, then you get what we currently have. They could definitely be less butch, but comparing an old truck that would really struggle to complete J2807 with it's much lower tow rating to a brand new truck with insane capability is kind of silly.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You really do love your underpowered, leaking Fords. (<—That’s a 2.9l insult too.) The 6.9l was probably the worst engine available in an F250/350 back then. I’d rather have a 300.

The best place to find a 6.9l bullnose is in the right lane, going about 6mph, struggling to get out of its own way. Just follow the trail of oil and black soot cloud… they both lead to a 6.9l
What? The 6.9 was a damn good engine. Yes they make roughly the same power as a 351W but get better MPG, and they sound bad ass under load.

Obviously a step down powerwise from my 460...but most things are.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is the front of a new F350. It has an AC condenser (black) and 2 radiators (1 that fits under the core support and one that stands taller behind the core support) :

The secondary radiator is for accessories and the Charge Air Cooler and gets sandwiched between the black AC condenser and the primary engine radiator:

J2807 is no joke. Putting an old HD/3500 level truck through the same certification process as a brand new one would lead to those old trucks having tow ratings that modern half tons would be embarrassed by. If they were able to finish at all.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This is the front of a new F350:

And there's a secondary radiator for the accessories too (sandwiched between the black AC condenser and the primary radiator):

J2807 is no joke. Putting an old HD/3500 level truck through the same certification process as a brand new one would lead to those old trucks having tow ratings that modern half tons would be embarrassed by. If they were able to finish at all.
I will agree to disagree

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The last year for that bodystyle truck was 1998, and with the Cummins it was rated at 235hp/460 ft-lbs. It had a max tow rating of 13k in the right configuration.

Here's a cool old Motorweek review of 3500 trucks from this era for reference (note the built in step on the Ford cab and the tow ratings that could be outdone by some new half tons):

Payload stresses frame and suspension. Towing stresses the drivetrain. You need more cooling now because they tow a massive amount more now.
The modern version of that truck in your photo can be equipped to tow over 37k lbs, and they have a pretty rigorous standardized towing test now (which was only adopted for 2013 model year):

So if you're designing a truck, and you know it needs to tow and haul and have some amount of off road capability, then you get what we currently have. They could definitely be less butch, but comparing an old truck that would really struggle to complete J2807 with it's much lower tow rating to a brand new truck with insane capability is kind of silly.
All I can comment on is the 5.9 Cummins in that body style Ram. The engine is not the weak point for towing. It’s mainly from the tranny back that’s weak, then the tranny. The 5.9 came from the factory suuuuper underpowered… but that’s why it can make 500k miles easy. It does have issues with exhaust gas getting too hot. That’s probably the weak point with it but I have zero other diesel experience

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals