• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is on the Maverick page on the Ford site. What's Ford marketing shooting for here? I don't have the literary prowess to summarize my confusion with this pic.

View attachment 82605
Ford is marketing the new Maverick as some kind of recreational, sport vehicle, not a work - landscaping, laborer's vehicle. It's not for picking up a scoop of dirt, hauling lumber; it's not a knock around truck. It's not even ideally suited for hauling bikes and kayaks as the bed is too small.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm relatively sure it's an option on the new rangers as well.
It was an option on my 2019 but I forget what package I had to get in order to get it. I don’t think it was a separate, stand alone option.

The 2011 doesn’t have it and while it would be nice to have, not nice enough to go through the work and source the parts to do it. Of course, in 2011, they were trying to get rid of Rangers and there wasn’t a lot of options with a manual. If I had gotten something with an automatic, it probably would have came with cruise control.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's funny. My mustang had curse control, and in the years I daily drove it I think I used it once just for shits and giggles. F150 did not have it.

'11 ranger has it. I will forget it's there for 6 months then start using it again and become addicted. I will use it while driving 300 feet, constantly using it all the time. Then forget about it for a while.

It's good for long highway trips, so you can keep your leg from cramping up, but other then that I could take it or leave it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've never really had too much issue with frame rust, most of the rust issues i've had were always body rust or suspension related.

Except my brother '97 we got last year. Has some holes in the frame behind the shackles.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
'11 ranger has it. I will forget it's there for 6 months then start using it again and become addicted. I will use it while driving 300 feet, constantly using it all the time. Then forget about it for a while.
My Ranger doesn't have cruise and I got used to it. My old diesel does, but I have to really plan on using it. If I just turn it on, it feels like i get rearended when it takes over. If I shut it off withoutfeathering the gas, it feels like i hit a small deer. I'm on cruise 95% of the time in my wife's Mazda tho.

I've never really had too much issue with frame rust, most of the rust issues i've had were always body rust or suspension related.

Except my brother '97 we got last year. Has some holes in the frame behind the shackles.
Finally found rust on my Ranger when i triet to take off the front wheel well. The plastic part that wraps under the door jamb part collected junk and rotted the seam away. The front quarter panel went started flopping when lowered that plastic part and broke the last molecule of rust that was holding the bottom to its mount.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine didn't have cruise originally.

I retrofitted OEM cruise and I friggin love it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I sure wouldn't want to do long distance steady driving without it. Not a requirement, but it works well at keeping an efficient speed and always knowing you're running under the radar.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think it's super weird that AC and power windows are standard options but cruise is not. It has to be the easiest thing to add on a vehicle with all the electronics, there is almost nothing to it. Just a couple buttons. About half of my vehicles do not have it but I sure wish they did, it's nice.

As far as rust - my '87 has holes through every panel except the hood but the floors are rock solid. My '88 has huge holes in the floor but everything else is OK. Here's one for you guys, this was an '88 but the floor in it was in super nice shape. Rest of the body...and frame... :oops: I don't get it, very strange how things don't rust equally.

KIMG1449.JPG

KIMG1460.JPG

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
My wife's Maverick is an XL too. When we were driving it home we were looking all over for the cruise control until I looked it up and realized it didn't have it. We never thought they would even build a car without it nowadays with throttle by wire. After researching it appears there's a couple of ways to do it. You can install the switches or a wheel with the switches and program with FORScan, or install the aftermarket kit. She went with the aftermarket kit. It's around $300 and not as elegant as OEM, with an extra lever there and stuff, but it works and she's happy with it. The kit looks easy to install.
You could have installed the OEM parts and stopped by my house. I could have turned the cruise control on for you with FDRS (Fords new version of IDS.) and you could have used it all the way home from NJ.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had a 97 aerostar for a few months with stalk mounted aftermarket cruise. Sometimes it would stick and not cancel or take off accelerating full bore. Granted it was a 3.0 so it wasnt bad...but still made it interesting first time or two i used it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a 97 aerostar for a few months with stalk mounted aftermarket cruise. Sometimes it would stick and not cancel or take off accelerating full bore. Granted it was a 3.0 so it wasnt bad...but still made it interesting first time or two i used it.
A 3.0 running wide open was probably pretty exhilarating for you...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A 3.0 running wide open was probably pretty exhilarating for you...
Sure was after i spent 3 hours riding the cub around...thing felt downright racy

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Or even like a Reg cab ranger with a 7ft bed
I have a regular cab Ranger with a 7 foot bed...but its from 1987 LOL. It gets used as a truck a lot, picked it up a couple years ago for $800. The longer bed is quite nice for being able to haul more stuff in one trip rather than having to make several trips. People saying oh well you can use racks, etc. for the short bed shortcomings...well that isn't exactly the case with everything, sure if you wanna lift that sheetrock up onto a ladder rack, fine, but many of us don't care to do that, which is why these old pickups are great contractor rigs, they sit low enough that loading and unloading materials is at a great easy to work with height compared to the ridiculously high bed heights of today's bloated sized trucks. When I make a trip to the scrap yard, I throw everything in the bed of my Ranger with a camper shell on it and make 1 trip...couldn't afford to make multiple trips at 3 cents a pound for scrap LOL. A longer bed makes for a great contractor rig as you can toss all your tools, parts, etc. in and have plenty of room where the trucks today with 4-5 foot beds you ain't got the space to haul everything, and a ladder rack ain't gonna cut it to haul your tools on.

The Maverick is more geared towards people that need a truck bed occasionally to haul their spring mulch, or bulky items that won't fit in their regular SUV, crossover, or car trunk...do they still make cars anymore LOL. The Maverick would make for a great vehicle for parts runners, couriers, and other niche type jobs that a small trucklet would be a great use, but don't need a full size truck. I've seen a couple of new extended cab Rangers being used by Budweiser by the guys that come out to the stores and take inventory, and that type of stuff or where they just need to make small delivery runs between when the delivery trucks show up, that type of stuff...the Maverick would fit into those types of markets as well.

I'd rather see Ford come out with something in a regular cab work truck type configuration with regular 4WD, no carpet, no extended or crew cab, 6-7 foot bed...without having to buy an F150 or larger truck. The 2nd and 3rd row seats in my Explorer never get used LOL. My Ranger is great as its just a regular cab, since its just me, I have no need for a bunch of unused seating options.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'm guessing it's more about how many they can actually produce. And then, how many of those they can produce without cannibalizing sales of higher profit vehicles.
That was the issue with the last of the original Ranger production. The Ranger and F150's pricing points were so close that people started buying the F150 instead of the over-priced Ranger at that point. The Maverick is priced well below an F150, and well equipped Rangers...Ford quit making the Ranger because it was competing too much with its F150 sales...umm the Ranger competed with F150 sells for 30+ years LOL.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I do wonder if they are deliberately NOT making as many mavericks as they could so sales of bronco’s/escape’s/rangers wouldnt take such a hit. Less than a 1 week ordering window? by the time I heard about it, it was over, and “build & price” wasn’t available until after the “window” was closed? Ford shoots itself in the foot so much its not funny.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals