• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From Ford Trailer Tow Brochure for Maverick:

Weights in lbs
Axle RatioGCWRFWDAWD
2.5 Hybrid2.916,0102,000n/a
2.0 Ecoboost3.635,9002,000n/a
6,145n/a2,000
3.818,145n/a4,000

From Mavericks I have looked at:
GVWR: 5,157lbs. Curb Weight: 3,731lbs. Standard American driver: 150 lbs. Payload: 1,26lbs. And possible trailer 4,264 lbs.

I never thought twice about taking the family boat out skiing with my brothers/friends with my 2wd/3.0/manual/RCSB Ranger. And it would have been at least as heavy as the one in Ford's ad.

One of my daughter's friends just got a Maverick, so there are some 20 something's driving them.

Interesting @oldgeek : I find it infinitely easier to maneuver just the truck around the yard/in the dump, etc. Trailer does allow me to carry more, so I will rent one when necessary but I don't have any place to park one...

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I was at a car show earlier this summer, at a Ford dealership. A Couple and their 20-something YO College aged daughter were in the middle of picking up their Maverick for her to start FSU summer courses. Mom said the Maverick was perfect and when she was done with it in 4 years, Dad would be getting it.

This is the Maverick They picked up.
1664212596367.png

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Ya know, they make these little things called utility trailers that would work excellent for exactly what you describe doing. Arguably even work better than a truck for what you are doing. They can be purchased for cheap. When properly sized for the task described they could be pulled behind nearly any vehicle with more than three wheels. Sounds like someone needs a/an <insert SVU/car name here> and a small utility trailer more than they need a truck.
i did the utility trailer on an suv for years and it sucks. i still have the utility trailer for when something is to physically large for the ranger but having to store the trailer, buy tires that rot from sitting, pay for plates that hardly will see the road, and than having to park way out and all that junk, i would just take a maverick. than you have to mow around another thing in the yard, and weed eat around it. i added a hitch receiver to my riding mower so i can move the trailer instead of having to hook it to one of the trucks to make that easier.

my utility trailer is just a rolling trash can now. i have to replace the tires, again, so i can haul it to the dump to throw away the stuff that won't fit into the city trash bins we roll to the curb each week.

i guess if someone doesn't have a utility trailer and they have a truck, that trailer life sounds nice. just like someone who is stuck using a utility trailer might think the truck life sounds nice.

to me, having a truck outweighs a utility trailer ten fold. even if its a super useful looking maverick that get great gas mileage and probably has the same carry capacity as my current ranger edge that didn't even have a tow receiver on it when i got it

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The utility trailer approach made sense when you were pulling it with a car that got 30+mpg instead of owning a truck that got 20mpgs.

But I'm not sure the small car/SUV + utility trailer combo is beneficial in a world where the Maverick hybrid gets 40mpg and can do both the small car/SUV jobs and the utility trailer jobs in one convenient vehicle.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my 2011 escape is a pretty good tow rig, granted its got the 3.0 (thats no longer available in a escape) . I think its rated at 3500 towing. I bet I was close to 4000# when I brought my ‘63 ford 2000 home on the trailer. It was a 100 mile round trip at least , so a good 50+ miles put on towing at max+ and it had no issues. I tried towing the flatbed with the tractor on it with the ranger -once. It didn’t like it at all, 4 miles to get to 50, tail wants to wag the dog above 45 so back off the pedal, braking quickly- forget about it! I got halfway to my destination, (was taking it to a tractor show after work) called Bren and had her bring me the escape after work , I changed tow vehicles and she drove the ranger on home. Im considering a older F150, 94-96 with a 302.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Im considering a older F150, 94-96 with a 302.
If you find one with a 351W, You should consider that too. (It was an option, but it’s less common) You’ll get the same gas mileage but more power.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Any idea how they come up with ratings? I'm pretty sure I've heard of instances where they had something rated for X but slashed that number (without any actual changes) to get into a different vehicle class for tax reasons or something. I bet low ratings are due to some strenuious test... stopping distance from 60mph and max brake temp or something.
It's an insurance/lawsuit thing. With as sue happy as our country is, the vehicle manufacturers and insurance companies set the ratings up so they don't usually have to pay out unless the is an obvious issue with the vehicle or trailer that caused the issue instead of stupidity of the operator. I can't speak for other vehicles, but I know the 1997-2001 Honda CR-V's have a 2,000# tow limit in Europe. I the U.S., it's 1,000#. Transmission type doesn't matter. But Honda Europe does require that the trailer has brakes. I suppose that may be a more common thing over there with the smaller vehicles. I know a lot of states here don't require brakes on trailers until they hit or break 3.000#. PA requires trailer brakes at 3,000#.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Im considering a older F150, 94-96 with a 302.
IMHO, I’d seriously consider one with a 300-6, they make for a good tow rig. Not fast, but boy do they pull. I ended up beefing up the suspension and swapping the M5OD for a ZF-5 plus changed the axles to 3.55 gears and it has zero problems pulling. It was alright before the mods, but the equipment trailer we have would flatten the springs and my changes made it more enjoyable to put it to work.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I *might* be open to learning to tow a trailer, but it's a second vehicle to keep licensed, and to park. I'd rather have ONE vehicle that can do everything. So, Ford, thanks for the Maverick.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...stupidity of the operator.
... and there we have it. 90% of vehicular issues in this country can be summed up with those four words.

I *might* be open to learning to tow a trailer, but it's a second vehicle to keep licensed, and to park.
Really not a lot to learn. Mostly being mindful of the capabilities of the towing vehicle and trailer, learning how to load the trailer, and getting used to how the vehicle repsonds with it. The hardest part is getting used to backing with one.

I don't know how it is in Canada or other states, but here in GA it's a 15-20 dollar tag fee each year for a trailer. I can't really speak to the space issue as I've got three acres and plenty of space to park a trailer of any size. That said a utility trailer of the size to be pulled behind a smaller car, truck, or SUV seems like it would be easier to manage than a second vehicle. Relatively small and easy to move around by hand. Some of them can even be folded and tucked in a corner as another poster said.

I should also mention that though I am proposing trailers in leiu of trucks, I one 1 trailer and 4.5 trucks. The one trailer is about a 7x16 flatbed put together to move vehicles, atvs, or what ever else. Built it 4 or 5 years ago and might have used it one time. I think that's soon to change though.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
There is a saying in Texas, "All hat and no cattle." Perhaps in this new age, this new generation of family friendly pickups, we truckers should start something similar, "All cab and no bed."

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So what's the consensus? Get the MORE expensive Escape AND a trailer to do what the cheaper, "non" truck Maverick can do without the trailer?
Buy a used 4.0 ranger with a tow package and outpull them both

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
There is a saying in Texas, "All hat and no cattle." Perhaps in this new age, this new generation of family friendly pickups, we truckers should start something similar, "All cab and no bed."
20220522_163324.jpg

Hey now, some of us like to haul around all bed and no cabs with our all cab and no bed.

20210824_063550.jpg

I had most of the '65 8' bed in my no bed for this one

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think its fitting that you show us photos of your Ford towing GM products...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals