• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I get around the bed limitation with roof racks on the cap and cab.

I can see an older person viewing the Maverick favorably for the reasons stated. There are times where the lift into the 2019’s bed is a bit too much. I imagine a full size truck would be same or worse.
My F150 is not that bad, only because it is a stock 2WD regular work truck height. The only thing is the bedsides are really tall, so its still takes climbing in the bed to unload, but it is low enough to step in pretty easy.
My buddies have stock 4wd diesels that have the tailgate at shoulder height, need a full on ladder lol.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
My F150 is not that bad, only because it is a stock 2WD regular work truck height. The only thing is the bedsides are really tall, so its still takes climbing in the bed to unload, but it is low enough to step in pretty easy.
My buddies have stock 4wd diesels that have the tailgate at shoulder height, need a full on ladder lol.
I brought this up earlier in this thread. My stock 2020 f150 4x4’s tailgate open height is 38” from the ground. That’s not as bad as some things, but it’s definitely not step in height. I figure my new Ranger will be a little lower.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The 2019 tailgate is about waist height on me. But it is a 4X4, FX4. A RWD new Ranger is going to be lower.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2019 tailgate is about waist height on me. But it is a 4X4, FX4. A RWD new Ranger is going to be lower.
No, 2wd and 4wd are the same ride height.

I don't think the FX4 is much if any taller than a normal 4wd.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive seen no 2wd new (2019+) rangers now that Ive thought about it, theyve all been 4x4’s, more crew cab than super cab. My 94 2wd is at a good height, on more than one occasion Ive backed into the ditch out front to unload, tailgate is just above the banking on the other side.

EDIT: now that Ive read that the newer rangers are the same height weather its 2wd or 4wd, maybe I have seen 2wd 2019+ rangers and am not aware of it. lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive seen no 2wd new (2019+) rangers now that Ive thought about it, theyve all been 4x4’s, more crew cab than super cab. My 94 2wd is at a good height, on more than one occasion Ive backed into the ditch out front to unload, tailgate is just above the banking on the other side.
You might have, unless you see a sticker on the side they could be 2wd.

Of course some guys take the stickers off their 4wds too so even then who knows.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Payload is fine.

Depends on how physically large the stove fridge is as to how it will fit in the truck.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And, here we go. So that you can have what you determine to be a real truck, I have to haul my grass clippings in the back of my SUV, which gets the interior dirty. I haul grass clippings every two weeks in the summer. So it's either that, or I drive 300 miles round trip to Home Depot, spend $20.00 to rent the truck, drive home, cut the lawn, haul the grass clippings to where I dump them, then is another 300 mile round trip to return the truck to Home Depot and pick up my small SUV. That's 10 hours on the road every two weeks, Rusty. Just because you think I shouldn't be buying a truck because you don't approve of what I need that truck to be.

<censored> that.

For the record, I would probably be a typical Maverick buyer. Ranger and F150 are too bulky. I need the capability of a truck, but I can only afford one vehicle, and I also need the capability of a comfortable, nimble highway cruiser. I just don't have a family to haul. The Maverick is perfect. Like I said, it ticks all the boxes for me. Now, if I could just get an AWD hybrid. And you have the <censored> guts to tell me that I should just go buy an Escape because it ticks all the boxes EXCEPT the open, metal lined (easily cleaned) cargo area, and rent a truck from Home Depot when I need a truck.
Ya know, they make these little things called utility trailers that would work excellent for exactly what you describe doing. Arguably even work better than a truck for what you are doing. They can be purchased for cheap. When properly sized for the task described they could be pulled behind nearly any vehicle with more than three wheels. Sounds like someone needs a/an <insert SVU/car name here> and a small utility trailer more than they need a truck.

Just sayin... It's your money, do what you want to with it.

As for the topic that is the basis for this thread, I don't know what Ford was thinking, but I think they missed the mark. No doubt that the Maverick will sell, but I think they missed an excellent opportunity to bring back a different name plate and (re)introduce a new segment to this market. Being as they were building a unibody car/truck thing, why not bring an Australian style Ute to the US market and name it the Ranchero? Definitely 4 doors and maybe a 2 door version as well, but lower and more car like for the regular version. Maybe something akin to the "Thomas Crown Affair" Mustang with a bed for the offroad/adventure version. Either style available with or without AWD since most owners will never need anything more than 2wd. Just my 2 cent, but I'll let you have it for free this time.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don't know what Ford was thinking, but I think they missed the mark.
It sold out for the year in 6 days… They had planned for order banks to be open for more than a month. They may not have hit the mark you envision, but they greatly exceeded their expectations.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya know, they make these little things called utility trailers that would work excellent for exactly what you describe doing. Arguably even work better than a truck for what you are doing. They can be purchased for cheap. When properly sized for the task described they could be pulled behind nearly any vehicle with more than three wheels. Sounds like someone needs a/an <insert SVU/car name here> and a small utility trailer more than they need a truck.

As for the topic that is the basis for this thread, I don't know what Ford was thinking, but I think they missed the mark. No doubt that the Maverick will sell, but I think they missed an excellent opportunity to bring back a different name plate and (re)introduce a new segment to this market. Being as they were building a unibody car/truck thing, why not bring an Australian style Ute to the US market and name it the Ranchero? Definitely 4 doors and maybe a 2 door version as well, but lower and more car like for the regular version. Maybe something akin to the "Thomas Crown Affair" Mustang with a bed for the offroad/adventure version. Either style available with or without AWD since most owners will never need anything more than 2wd. Just my 2 cent, but I'll let you have it for free this time.
Eh, I always thought Ranchero was kind of a weird name.

AWD is kind of desirable in areas where people get snow, no way I would consider a FWD one if I could get AWD instead.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It sold out for the year in 6 days… They had planned for order banks to be open for more than a month. They may not have hit the mark you envision, but they greatly exceeded their expectations.
I didn't say that they did miss the mark. I didn't say that they think they missed the mark. I said that I think they missed the mark. That one letter is very important.

Eh, I always thought Ranchero was kind of a weird name.

AWD is kind of desirable in areas where people get snow, no way I would consider a FWD one if I could get AWD instead.
Agreed. I think that the focus groups showed that and it's why chose the Maverick name instead.

You are right, in some areas it is very desirable. In other areas it's unnecesary and more parts to break. Most people where I am have no real use for AWD, unless they're like me and would want it for the performance aspect. I'd rather have what I described as a RWD, but I doubt we'll ever see anything like that from Ford again.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Many of the people who will buy the Maverick for light truck work couldn't drive with a trailer. They can barely maneuver the truck, itself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals