• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You just made my point. You don't think it should be called a truck because it doesn't fit your definition of a truck. It does, however, fit the EPA definition of "truck" which is a cargo hauler with an open cargo area at the rear. That's the definition that matters, not your definition.

Rusty, it's a truck. Just like that little six pound terrier is a dog. I, personally, think it's a rat, because it has to be over 20 pounds to qualify as a dog, but it's a dog, whether I like it or not.
What do you care?
You hate and refuse to buy anything newer than a 1980.
You don’t buy new vehicles. (Car manufacturers only care about the new car market trends. They don’t sell used cars.)

Most people don’t need a 10 passenger truck with an 8’ bed for day to day life. They compromise and buy crew cab short beds because they can’t afford to buy, maintain, tag, store, etc. 5 separate vehicles for each different errand of the day. They have to get to work, they have kids, they need to pick up a new dishwasher, the pull the sub 20’ boat to the lake, they take a long weekend at the shore and bring their bicycles, they go light off-roading.
A crew cab pickup with a 5-6 foot bed can do all this and more. Most people can do everything with a Maverick or a Ranger. On the rare occasion they may need a bigger truck, they can rent it from Home Depot for $20.
My point is the crowd who buys a truck just to say they have a truck and dont really need a truck shouldnt of being the ones being catered to.

Yeah yeah follow the money whatever...but if you truely want a truck, regardless of if you need one or not, you should be willing to accept the shortcomings that make it a truck suited to a purpose.

So then that way those of us who actually want a serious truck would be able to get one without spending ridiculious sums of money, or buying a product thats supposed to be meant for a certain segment who has to now deal with shortcomings because people who had no business buying one in the first place has dictated market direction.

All trucks right down to the ranger should be built similar to the superduty only getting smaller in size and capacity. No 5.5ft boxes, no independen front ends, etc etc.

Just my take. If you really need a truck like one of you said drive your camry to home depot and rent one for 20 bucks.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford views the Maverick as their entry level vehicle now that the Fiesta and Focus are gone. So they're marketing to small car buyers as well as small truck buyers.
The hybrid (if you could actually get one) is the cheapest hybrid vehicle for sale of any kind. They're going to get Prius buyers with this thing too.

As for owner demographics, I haven't seen anybody driving one that didn't have gray or white hair.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
because people who had no business buying one in the first place has dictated market direction.
But here we are… the person who doesn’t buy new vehicles thinks he should dictate the market. It doesn’t work that way.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
But here we are… the person who doesn’t buy new vehicles thinks he should dictate the market. It doesn’t work that way.
I would buy a new one if they wernt a) stupidly overpriced because of all the "tech" that supposdly has to be packed in and b) if they were still built in such a way they still rode/drove/functioned like a proper truck.

Think of it this way...

Theres a bar you have been going to for years. Sure its not the cleanest place, the bar itself is old, stained a bit, the stools are tore up some, the place smells like old cigarette smoke and stale beer. The bartender wears an t shirt and jeans, and the bathrooms are so bad pissing in the gravel lot is encouraged. Theres nothing but an old jukebox loaded with vinyl records with the newest song being from 1985, and the only TV in the place is a 20 inch tube TV with rabbit ears on a dusty corner shelf. Despite the flaws, you like it for what it is and go there and enjoy it.

Now lets say for whatever reason the "young, hip" crowd starts coming in regularly, sure they spend more money, bringing in large groups of friends, calling the place "quaint", but then the owners of said bar decide to get more of these "young hip kids" (and their money) coming in.

All of a sudden you see the floors get retiled, the bar gets ripped out and replaced with some LED lighted stainless steel thing, the old stools are ripped out and replaced with those tall, applebees like chairs. The old TV is gone replaced by a massive 80in plasma in your face TV thats constantly blaring loud, the old jukebox is gone and replaced by an ipod blasting some modern BS through massive speakers, the bathrooms are "modernized" and the parking lot paved, and ol joe behind the bar is fired and replaced by some clean shaven, man bun wearing doofus in skinny jeans mixing fancy martinis.

How would that make you feel? Bitter, pissed off, irritated? You understand the owner wanted more money but at the same time one of your last places of enjoyment has been ripped up and changed for a crowd of people that wanted to be there but wanted everything changed.

That is exactly how i feel about the modern truck market and basically the whole automotive landscape these days in general. Youre right i have no way of changing it but i also have every right not to be happy about it and let my opinions be known.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would buy a new one if they wernt a) stupidly overpriced because of all the "tech" that supposdly has to be packed in and b) if they were still built in such a way they still rode/drove/functioned like a proper truck.

Think of it this way...

Theres a bar you have been going to for years. Sure its not the cleanest place, the bar itself is old, stained a bit, the stools are tore up some, the place smells like old cigarette smoke and stale beer. The bartender wears an t shirt and jeans, and the bathrooms are so bad pissing in the gravel lot is encouraged. Theres nothing but an old jukebox loaded with vinyl records with the newest song being from 1985, and the only TV in the place is a 20 inch tube TV with rabbit ears on a dusty corner shelf. Despite the flaws, you like it for what it is and go there and enjoy it.

Now lets say for whatever reason the "young, hip" crowd starts coming in regularly, sure they spend more money, bringing in large groups of friends, calling the place "quaint", but then the owners of said bar decide to get more of these "young hip kids" (and their money) coming in.

All of a sudden you see the floors get retiled, the bar gets ripped out and replaced with some LED lighted stainless steel thing, the old stools are ripped out and replaced with those tall, applebees like chairs. The old TV is gone replaced by a massive 80in plasma in your face TV thats constantly blaring loud, the old jukebox is gone and replaced by an ipod blasting some modern BS through massive speakers, the bathrooms are "modernized" and the parking lot paved, and ol joe behind the bar is fired and replaced by some clean shaven, man bun wearing doofus in skinny jeans mixing fancy martinis.

How would that make you feel? Bitter, pissed off, irritated? You understand the owner wanted more money but at the same time one of your last places of enjoyment has been ripped up and changed for a crowd of people that wanted to be there but wanted everything changed.

That is exactly how i feel about the modern truck market and basically the whole automotive landscape these days in general. Youre right i have no way of changing it but i also have every right not to be happy about it and let my opinions be known.
I don’t drink.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I do think a maverick would work for me most of the time, on paper its got potential, at least for my needs and useage. I wouldn’t daily drive it, only because my job is very dirty and I couldnt bring myself to get into a new vehicle every day to come home and have sand residue get all over the inside. If one were to wind up with me it would be like the escape is now, “her” daily and my weekender, chances are I would end up with the escape and the ranger I currently drive would be a “backup” in case one of the primary vehicles was down. At one time this summer we only had the hhr to drive, now its out of service. Ive considered another gen 2 escape as a backup, No I cant haul much but it can tow and I do have a couple of trailers. Im almost afraid to buy anything right now, a lot of uncertainty.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
@rusty ol ranger I get what you’re saying, but it’s wrong. You can still get a reg cab w/ an 8’ bed F150. It starts at about $31k. That’s not bad.
But people have other needs for their vehicle than just a work truck.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Guess what rusty? that bar would have been closed two decades ago because it didn't make any money. That's what happened to the truck segment - your ideal is a fantasy. You may not like it, but it's the reality of the market. The people who spend real money on trucks want all that tech and want it comfortable. That's why a loaded superduty has all that junk

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Guess what rusty? that bar would have been closed two decades ago because it didn't make any money. That's what happened to the truck segment - your ideal is a fantasy. You may not like it, but it's the reality of the market. The people who spend real money on trucks want all that tech and want it comfortable. That's why a loaded superduty has all that junk
But you can still buy an XL and not get “all that junk”. 95% of our county trucks are XLs. We get a lot of the F550s with manual windows, basic radios, split bench seats, etc. The F250s are usually supervisor trucks, so they have power windows and locks. They’re still XLs, and they’re cheap.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
My point is the crowd who buys a truck just to say they have a truck and dont really need a truck shouldnt of being the ones being catered to.
The 'problem' is.... that same crowd your talking about probably makes up the majority of new truck sales.

A manufacturer is going to cater to whoever gives them more money.

Gotta make cars cool again.. then men can have their trucks back.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
But you can still buy an XL and not get “all that junk”. 95% of our county trucks are XLs. We get a lot of the F550s with manual windows, basic radios, split bench seats, etc. The F250s are usually supervisor trucks, so they have power windows and locks. They’re still XLs, and they’re cheap.
The problem I have is you can buy fleet trucks and tell Ford what you want. I tried pricing out a new truck a few years back… I wanted a F-250 crew cab 8’ bed, 4x4, heavy suspension, towing package, snow plow prep, diesel. To get all of that I was required to buy a Lariat, King Ranch, or Platinum. I don’t need all of that, I need an XLT at best, but if you’re not buying fleet vehicles, you don’t get a choice anymore other than trying to find someone selling a used fleet truck with what you want. Usually in white. I hate white trucks.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fyi, Ford tells us the F-150 crew cab makes up more than 80% of the production volume, so most people buying trucks nowadays are clearly wanting the cab space more than the bed space.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
fyi, Ford tells us the F-150 crew cab makes up more than 80% of the production volume, so most people buying trucks nowadays are clearly wanting the cab space more than the bed space.
Well, If Ford makes 80 percent of the trucks Crew cab, then obviously they're going to sell more crew cabs. Crew Cabs are more expensive than Reg Cabs, so we get the numbers in and see more people are buying Crew Cabs. Why would they make a bunch of low cost, low profit trucks, when they can sell a bunch of Crew Cabs. Then they say, "Nobody's buying inexpensive Reg Cab trucks anymore".

Same thing with all the grey paint colors.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I was thinking ford might intend the maverick to be a hip car (thus the pic in post 1), but most owners are gray haired types. Seems they’re trying to force the maverick into a market that won’t accept it. It’s just not trucky enough for people who want but don’t need a truck. I’d argue that its capabilities are exactly in line with the original ranger… but ford deemed 4 doors to be more useful than a long bed. The new extended cab ranger fits those who want an original ranger.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I think Ford misjudged the need for a small truck. They thought the young hipster crowd might like it. They did NOT know that the Middle aged people who grew up with small trucks, might also want a small truck again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals