• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I highly doubt that Maverick buyers are purchasing one with the idea that they can do full size 8’ bed truck stuff… or even 6.5’ bed stuff. I can only speak for the people I’ve talked to that are buying them.
My mother ordered one… she’s 66 years old and would never need an 8’ bed. She’s into gardening. The most she will put in the bed is flowers, top soil, etc. Could she use an Escape, yes. In fact that what she has now. Her biggest issue is dragging out an extension cord and a vacuum after using it.
The other person is a guy at work. He’s 23 and doesn’t need a full size truck. He has one and doesn’t use it as a truck. He wants it for the gas mileage, price, and small size.
Right. I was just trying to answer the guys question about how much difference 1.5 ft of bed space can make

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you need to have your stuff fully enclosed in an 8ft bed with the tailgate up, then what you really need is a cargo van.

The whole point of a truck bed is to be flexible enough to carry all sorts of things, even if they hang out.

Pallets of stuff like flooring seem possible too

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the maverick's bed floor higher than the tailgate?

In the pictures that stmitch posted, the picture with the plywood the wood appears to be lying flat on the bed floor, but then the tailgate is strapped to the wood at an upwards angle. In the picture of the pallets, there is a clear gasp between the pallet and the tailgate.

Now that I look them closer the tailgate cables in that plywood picture also look off. If the tailgate is partially raised like that, the cables should have some slack in them, but they're pulled tight. They also look to be atached higher on the body in one picture than the other. Does this thing have two different cable anchor points on the body and if so for what purpose? Weird...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

In the pictures that stmitch posted, the picture with the plywood the wood appears to be lying flat on the bed floor, but then the tailgate is strapped to the wood at an upwards angle. In the picture of the pallets, there is a clear gasp between the pallet and the tailgate.

Now that I look them closer the tailgate cables in that plywood picture also look off. If the tailgate is partially raised like that, the cables should have some slack in them, but they're pulled tight. They also look to be atached higher on the body in one picture than the other. Does this thing have two different cable anchor points on the body and if so for what purpose? Weird...
My colorado had a way to hook the cables so the tailgate stayed at about a 45* angle.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

The plywood is sitting on top of the wheel wells in the bed rather than in between like they would in a larger truck. They have two anchor points for the tailgate cables. One will allow the gate to open to flat, and the other allows it to rest securely at an angle so that it's level with the top of the wheel wells and can act as support for hauling sheet goods in a flat orientation.

The built in tie down hooks in the tailgate help facilitate this (and double as bottle openers). It's a pretty simple, elegant solution IMO that increases functionality a lot.

They put a lot of thought into making the bed of the Maverick legitimately functional for different things, and that's what I appreciates about them:

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I just dont get why they would build a "truck" with no frame and IRS. Ridiculious bed aside...its basically an escape/bronco sport with the ass end chopped off.

Even hauling light loads on anything close to a semi regular basis is going to cause all sorts of issues with it.

Any independent suspensioned vehicle ive been around has always had more issues then solid leaf sprung axles. The front ends (besides twin I beams, if you wanna class that as IFS), are bad enough for durability. Im not even talking getting beat on...just driving dirt roads in spring type stuff.

The more complicated and more moving parts make anything more likely to have issues.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just dont get why they would build a "truck" with no frame and IRS. Ridiculious bed aside...its basically an escape/bronco sport with the ass end chopped off.

Even hauling light loads on anything close to a semi regular basis is going to cause all sorts of issues with it.

Any independent suspensioned vehicle ive been around has always had more issues then solid leaf sprung axles. The front ends (besides twin I beams, if you wanna class that as IFS), are bad enough for durability. Im not even talking getting beat on...just driving dirt roads in spring type stuff.

The more complicated and more moving parts make anything more likely to have issues.
Sharing an existing platform helps keep the price low. People buying this don't want tons of capability. They want efficiency, comfort and a low buy in price in a smaller package than existing trucks.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the 2wd trucks have a solid rear axle!

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
The plywood is sitting on top of the wheel wells in the bed rather than in between like they would in a larger truck. They have two anchor points for the tailgate cables. One will allow the gate to open to flat, and the other allows it to rest securely at an angle so that it's level with the top of the wheel wells and can act as support for hauling sheet goods in a flat orientation.

The built in tie down hooks in the tailgate help facilitate this (and double as bottle openers). It's a pretty simple, elegant solution IMO that increases functionality a lot.

They put a lot of thought into making the bed of the Maverick legitimately functional for different things, and that's what I appreciates about them:

That is slick. The salesman just pointed those out as bottle openers and didn't mention the rest, and I thought what a dumb "feature." When I get home I'm going to check that out.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sharing an existing platform helps keep the price low. People buying this don't want tons of capability. They want efficiency, comfort and a low buy in price in a smaller package than existing trucks.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the 2wd trucks have a solid rear axle!
Well i guess thats better then nothing.

The few i seen musta all been AWD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It makes far more sense for most to get a Suburban, a van, or even a crossover. Still, Americans have something of a love affair with their trucks. Even white collar men drive them. Perhaps they have started their careers working with their hands and want to keep them around long after the need for a real pickup is gone.

I can't blame them either. Many of us have made a good living owning one. And at least that many more of us have found old school pickups to be rugged, roadable in rough weather like heavy snow, or handy off road doing farmwork. Maybe a few are weekend home remodelers who find them practical to get a few 2x4s from the lumberyard.

The rest of us, see those little 4-5' pickup beds and see them like something similar to a vestigial organ that has lost its purpose just like tonsils or an appendix.
Somebody hasn't priced a fullsize suv lately...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Just goes towards the question " What makes it a TRUCK?"
Pickup truck, Noun, a small truck with an enclosed cab and an open back.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Pickup truck, Noun, a small truck with an enclosed cab and an open back.
The wifes old escape was classed by the EPA as a "light duty truck" per the emission label. Obviously their defintions of what is technically a "truck" is pretty loose

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals