• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 83190Here’s the workinest Ridgeline I ever seen. I don’t recall ever hearing that the Ridgeline ever had a place in the truck world. Wonder why the Maverick is getting so much love (and hate, I know, but love too). Is it a brand thing? Since Ford has acknowledged the utility of a unibody truck, it’s ok now?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
It makes far more sense for most to get a Suburban, a van, or even a crossover. Still, Americans have something of a love affair with their trucks. Even white collar men drive them. Perhaps they have started their careers working with their hands and want to keep them around long after the need for a real pickup is gone.

I can't blame them either. Many of us have made a good living owning one. And at least that many more of us have found old school pickups to be rugged, roadable in rough weather like heavy snow, or handy off road doing farmwork. Maybe a few are weekend home remodelers who find them practical to get a few 2x4s from the lumberyard.

The rest of us, see those little 4-5' pickup beds and see them like something similar to a vestigial organ that has lost its purpose just like tonsils or an appendix.

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I ordered two and then forgot I placed another order. I’m getting one XL Hybrid, and two XLT Tremors. I’m most likely just going to flip them all and roll the money into my Ranger.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Must be nice having enough money that you can order two vehicles, forget that you ordered one of them and order a third.

I don't understand that whole preodrder to flip thing. If you want it, order it and drive it. If not, move on and let someone else get the spot. Instead people place orders for vehicles they'll never be able to afford then flip them to a sucker that also can't afford it for a hefty profit. The only reason the second person is able to pay so much is because the bank will loan anyone anything, whether they can reasonable afford it or not. Because they are selling so high it drives up the percieved value, which affects the market price and screws up things for the rest of us.

Sorry, rant over. It's your money, spend it how you want. I wasn't going to buy one anyway.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yeah… it’s kinda a dick move.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Must be nice having enough money that you can order two vehicles, forget that you ordered one of them and order a third.

I don't understand that whole preodrder to flip thing. If you want it, order it and drive it. If not, move on and let someone else get the spot. Instead people place orders for vehicles they'll never be able to afford then flip them to a sucker that also can't afford it for a hefty profit. The only reason the second person is able to pay so much is because the bank will loan anyone anything, whether they can reasonable afford it or not. Because they are selling so high it drives up the percieved value, which affects the market price and screws up things for the rest of us.

Sorry, rant over. It's your money, spend it how you want. I wasn't going to buy one anyway.
I’ve heard of that, but always thought it was so risky that it really doesn’t pay off. For some supper limited cars (like limited vette runs), they make the buyer sign something saying they can’t sell within a year or something… and it’s perfectly enforceable. Wonder why they don’t expand that to the full line

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The rest of us, see those little 4-5' pickup beds and see them like something similar to a vestigial organ that has lost its purpose just like tonsils or an appendix.
Is that really much different than the 6' bed on my old Ranger?

BTW, both the tonsils and appendix have been shown to have important roles in body function.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is that really much different than the 6' bed on my old Ranger?

BTW, both the tonsils and appendix have been shown to have important roles in body function.
t
How much difference is there between a fullsize 8ft bed and a 6'6....answer....alot. You dont think that 1.5ft is a big deal till you dont have it.

My buddy has an 02 silverado with a 6'6 box...he loads a quad in it and has no good place for anything else. I can load a quad, cooler, gas, spare, and pretty much whatever else i want in my F250's 8ft bed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
With the interest rates up... along with inflation... and everything else wrong in the world these days... no way I would buy three new vehicles (im assuming this isnt a cash transaction) with any hope to flip for personal gains. But perhaps you're loaded and can afford to wait on buyers.

But anyway... this entire conversation should be over there ------> MaverickTruckin.com

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
A buddy does construction and has a ridgeline. It gets used jist like everyone else's trucks but get better gas milage. Till his though, i had never seen a ridgeline used for more than carrying people and bicycles

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
t
How much difference is there between a fullsize 8ft bed and a 6'6....answer....alot. You dont think that 1.5ft is a big deal till you dont have it.

My buddy has an 02 silverado with a 6'6 box...he loads a quad in it and has no good place for anything else. I can load a quad, cooler, gas, spare, and pretty much whatever else i want in my F250's 8ft bed.
Your buddy just needs a Lightning with a frunk! :stirthepot:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Just get a front receiver and one of those platform things for a receiver hitch, I saw a truck the other day with that on the front, I forget just what they had loaded on it but it looked like way too much.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
t

Aye, but we're here on a Ranger forum, talking about a new truck that has a bed not significantly different than a Ranger bed. So, implying that the new Maverick is not worth much because of bed size, then why would you own a Ranger?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Aye, but we're here on a Ranger forum, talking about a new truck that has a bed not significantly different than a Ranger bed. So, implying that the new Maverick is not worth much because of bed size, then why would you own a Ranger?
He asked how much different then his 6ft bed would a maverick be with a 4ft bed or whatever. I was just using the fullsize trucks as an example to prove a point...that going from a 6ft to a 4ft bed dont seem like alot but it is. Similar to going from an 8 to a 6'6

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I highly doubt that Maverick buyers are purchasing one with the idea that they can do full size 8’ bed truck stuff… or even 6.5’ bed stuff. I can only speak for the people I’ve talked to that are buying them.
My mother ordered one… she’s 66 years old and would never need an 8’ bed. She’s into gardening. The most she will put in the bed is flowers, top soil, etc. Could she use an Escape, yes. In fact that what she has now. Her biggest issue is dragging out an extension cord and a vacuum after using it.
The other person is a guy at work. He’s 23 and doesn’t need a full size truck. He has one and doesn’t use it as a truck. He wants it for the gas mileage, price, and small size.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals