• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What do you take to the Pull Yard?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
The closest pull yard to me is about 40 miles. Normally, I would do an inventory search to see what's been dumped. They are good about posting one image the vehicle with year and engine size along with what row it's in. If I see something I'm interested in, I go for an in person look-see. I usually end up taking half my barn with me just in case.

So I'm curious what you folks take with you?
Thanks.

r

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
3/8 drive standard & metric set, a 6-in-one driver, putty knife (in case I see any cool emblems I want) wire cutters, crescent wrench, vise grips.
Have more tools in the truck but usually if its more than a 3/8 drive will handle (like a whole rear axle) I will just have the guys at the yard get it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a dedicated junkyard tool bag - basically 3/8 socket set, pry bar, hammer, metric wrenches, vise grips, screwdrivers, trim removal tool, plus some specialty stuff like certain Torx bits and the Ford axle nut socket for our trucks.

A couple rags, plastic bags, rubber gloves, leather gloves are really nice to have too.

I don't carry many SAE tools with me, they are always in the truck, but I rarely need them... almost everything is metric so I try to keep the bag light.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have a large bag for junk yarding and I use the same bag for travel. Assorted 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" sockets, screwdrivers, Allen's, torx. Wrench roll with metric gear wrenches and some adjustable, pry bar, rags, whell bearing socket, hammer, rubber gloves, side cutters, aviation snips, utility knife, ????

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Thanks. I've been think about adding a cut-off wheel and/or sawzall. Battery powered of course. I need to put together a dedicated bag as well. I'm light on metric stuff though.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Many of those places won't let you take in "sparky tools".

I always take my battery operated impact.

ElectraRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ,2000
Make / Model
Ford ,Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ,4.0
Transmission
Manual
thats a big 10-4 on tools that create sparks, at you pull and pay they check your bag before entering.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Same here more or less.

I got a bag I uses as my mobile top box. 3/8th socket set, bunch of wrenches, pliers, cutters, hammer. Normally I take an electric impact, it’s heavy so I’ll leave it in the truck if I don’t think I’ll need it.

it’s funny to look at it and see what tools you can do 80% of your work with, and compare it to how many tools you have. I think about 70% of my tools are not needed and just helpful for that 20% of the time where they make the job easier.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Lot of yards around here don’t allow any cutting tools (torches, sawzall, grinder). That said, I’ll usually have something in the truck.

I‘ve changed up my tools a few times. Usually when I try to cheat and not take much, I need something from what I didn’t bring but if I bring everything then I don’t need it all. Working on building a set around a Milwaukee Packout system now. I got a Craftsman mechanics tool set on special around the holidays, it’s a drawered set for their version of the Packout and I attached it to plywood with Packout feet so it clips in. Going to build out a “smash and grab” bag too, something easy to carry when you’re doing a recon of the yard that just has some basics to grab easy stuff with. Leave the big set with the truck and just pull part or all as needed after recon work.

Definitely the Milwaukee impact goes with me. And I don’t want to forget side cutters again.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
it’s funny to look at it and see what tools you can do 80% of your work with, and compare it to how many tools you have. I
I agree. But some of my more complicated junk yard outings have been far from elegant and ended with damage to the car in the yard. That's not normally an option at home.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Can of wd-40 too, not so much for rusty stuff but to spray at the wasps I find.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For recon I will grab my faithful $40 Stanley 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket set, phillips screwdriver and a crescent wrench. Never go anywhere with out my leatherman and penlight so they are a given too.

If I find something I like I will go back to the car and get my 24" craftsman carry box with all that and a hammer, pry bar, vice grips, 1/2" drive etc.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i just put my stuff into a bucket with a piece of hose around the metal bar handle so it doesn't dig into my finger. ratcheting wrench sets in metric and sae, adjustable wrench, channel locks, wire cutters, multi tip screw driver, small multi tip set with driver, metric and sae basic socket sets, extendable handle 3/8 drive ratcheting breaker bar, magnet on a stick, and whatever that tool is called to pop out interior pieces without breaking them. also some rags and a pack of baby wipes.

than my son and i stop at bill millers on the way and get large sweet teas to keep us from being so thirsty

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I used to try to carry everything. My yard has these little carts with wheels that help for carrying stuff. I'd load it with my Impact gun, all the bits, metric and standard sockets, extensions, ratchets, wire cutters, razor knife, Interior trim removal set, and literally anything I "thought" I would need. The last couple of times I went, I took a small bag with a few small hand tools, and a crescent wrench, vice grips, and 1/4 ratchet with a 10mm and 1/2. I left everything else in the truck and figured if I needed it, I would go back and get it or ask some one walking around if they have what I might need. I've loaned tools to guys before and always get them back. I also have left good hand tools in cars before too, because that's how I get to get new tools. lol

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't carry anything I really care about to the junkyard. M18 impact is the only exception. Not because I am worried about theft but because it's almost always a mud fest or the weeds are 10 feet tall. So things tend to get really dirty or are easily lost. I just picked through the loose tool bins at pawn shops for a while and assembled a kit full of decent quality tools that were cheap enough to lose and not cry about.

Just need to know what you're buying I guess... I have had the $5 HF socket set and those Ultra Steel wrenches from walmart before and destroyed them at the junkyard in no time flat. Very frustrating when you wade through 1/4 mile of mud and weeds only to break the one tool you have to have.

I don't think any of our junkyards care about grinders etc. One place in particular lets you drive in. Another place let me torch out some leaf springs. They are aware that they will simply not sell certain things if they can't be cut out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals