• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ve had a lot of good experience with NAPA over the years.
My local NAPA never had a part I needed in stock and their hours were horrible. I stopped even bothering with them.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
We’ve easily spent over $250k with our local Napa this year… they will jump through hoops to get us what we need.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I agree, even better if I don't have to speak with someone on the phone. In spite of their faults, I like the RockAuto model as far as interaction. No frills, graphics, or flash animations. Just lists of parts.

The good NAPA I was referring to is in a town of about 1500 people, serving mostly farmers, elevators, and such. The crappy one is in a city of around 60k. The Advance there was ok as it was staffed by some old salts and very business-like, but O'Reilly and Autozone were a lot rougher. I couldn't bring my kid with me to those stores as I'd have to explain language to him he wasn't really ready to understand. My mouth is filthier than most, but I usually reserve that language for private-ish situations where I'm not going to be around young children. Especially so if I'm acting as a representative of the company I work for.

In the big city I live in now there's Autozone, NAPA, and Advance as well as a couple private/one-off stores. All meh, but Autozone is probably the least worst. Thankfully I have enough rolling stock that I very seldom need to set foot in any of them.
Amen, and a thought, a reflection of my journey, not judgmental or critical of you or anyone.

I was raised in the shadow of the George Washington Bridge, New York City, and all the foul language was common from when I was a tot. Oh my gosh, we could lay it down!

I moved to the south when I was 22/23, and I was ostracized for my foul mouth. This is not a do as I say, not as I do.

Because it interfered with my business and my livelihood, I cleaned up my language a lot, but still felt the need to punctuate with a harsh word every now and then

Here’s where I’m going: I learned the hard way, it cost me money, and it embarrassed me when I would use inappropriate language. I can think of many cases where I injured myself with foul language, but, and I’ve searched hard, I cannot come up with a single instant where there was a negative result from avoiding such language. It hurts you every time, whether you realize it or not, it never helps you, and you may not know it at the time, but those you want deal with, be accepted by, notice and appreciate it, and you will advance because of it (avoiding foul language).

It took me 50 or 60 years to recognize simple things like this in His plan. We live in a world of seeking acceptance by others. Younger generations than me, but also my own, failed to see the difference in seeking acceptance from lesser mortals, instead of conducting our lives in His image and inspiration.

If you trip on the path, no matter how well you explain it to your children and those around you, they still know you’re not walking the right path, that you stumbled. If you want your children and others to rise above it all, if you come from a position of restraint, maybe purity, standing and proceeding, true and straight, but understanding – His understanding-your credibility will prevail.

And if you’re getting your wisdom from me, you are definitely deep F’n shit!

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
After a paperwork crunch, and a sweet smooth closing, Lincoln and I went down to Stockbridge, south of Atlanta, and bought some new toys. I am a child, and I have no self-control:

IMG_0747.jpeg

L to R, Top, a RadioShack 70s TRS-449 SSB 40 channel. A lot of Uniden guts, a perfect vintage piece for one of my Lincoln’s. Peaked and modded, w/added side switches. Legendary…

Next, Cobra 29XLR. Cobra’s first 40 channel, the super high quality stuff made in Japan (not China). Also 70s vintage, also legendary, perfect for one of my Lincoln’s.

The last is a Pace 2300, 23 channel. It’s not worth a nickel, but Pace was the pinnacle for performance and quality a few years after this one. It will go away on eBay/marketplace like I found it.

Almost of more interest to me were the three “hump“ mounts w/speakers. I’ve already made a cardboard template to fabricate mounts for the CBs and switches in the Town Cars. These mounts and speakers will be modified and blended in, saving me countless hours.

I also got another 13.8 V power supply, and this funky “ultraguard/Knoxville” security box: motion detector, you can add in door and window switches (hardwired), and it transmits the alarm over CB frequencies. Very early home alarm system. A boat anchor, but I’ll list it, and see what happens.

The guy I got it from cleans up houses and whatever when necessary, like if you’re selling a house from someone who passed away. The owner said “if you want them take them.” He was asking $150, and I gave him $100. I was giddy, and he was thankful.

Bench test this weekend…

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Put most of my new portable garage frame together after work today. Need a hand with the rest of it.. that'll have to wait til this weekend.

The old one had a good run.. 7-8 years at least.. but finally fell in on itself during the last snowstorm we had last season.

Talk about inflation... the last one was 10x17 and cost me 200$

New one is only 10x10 and cost the same 200$ -__- both from hazard fraught.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Also just bottled up some of the the rangers old oil to send to Blackstone for analysis.

Don't know how long the oil was in it before I drained it... wish I did.

It doesnt seem like its sheared down much.. which makes me believe it doesnt have TOO many miles on it...but it's as black as night lol. I'm sure 218k mile rings have something to do with that 😋

Once I get 5k on the oil I just put in I'll send them another sample. Considering sending a sample of the trans fluid when I get around to changing that.. just unsure how much money I want to spend for shits and giggles.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Did I ever mention that I love Craigslist? That I have no self control? That I’m a child?

A couple months ago I had a brainstorm for a new project, something I could do with these 4 inch aluminum channels, a new trailer.

I had a thought of making a double axle trailer, similar to the Road Ranger trailer, but smaller, and putting a casket on it modified into a beer cooler and maybe have a small grill on it. My timing was bad: have you ever tried to buy a casket at a bargain just before Halloween? That’s a real sellers market.

But like usual, I just checked Craigslist half a dozen times a day and added a casket to my needed items list. If you think about it, if you know anything about buying caskets, a few weeks after Halloween, but a couple weeks before Christmas is the ideal market conditions for the buyer, especially if you offer the guy cash in front of his wife. But even in the buyers market, I was looking at 20 gauge, scratch and dent caskets for $500 or more. That was far out of my budget.

But I got doubly lucky. A couple good old boys in Anderson, South Carolina. (Nikki and @ericbphoto territory), one the son of a mortician, not only had a top quality casket, it was already converted to be a giant cooler. I didn’t know until my recent search for my second casket, that the metal ones were 22 gauge, 20 gauge, or 18 gauge usually. This one is a top quality 18 gauge, making it doubly durable for my insane use. It’s about 10 years old, but it listed for about $1500 at that time.

The icing on the cake? Corporate Coca-Cola company here in Hotlanta hired Atlanta Custom Fabricators (top of the line restaurant kitchen fabricators), to convert the casket into the giant cooler. Coke used it around the southeast for about 10 years during the Halloween promotions and parties. Unfortunately, the box is not stainless steel, it’s only welded galvanized steel, but it does have a brass drain.

IMG_0778.jpeg
IMG_0780.jpeg

It’s straight as an arrow on the outside, built like a brick out house, with a tiny little bit of corrosion in the corners on the galvanized inside. The whole box is insulated, rubber gasket around the tops, and the lids are lined with insulation.

My budget was $200, and I was willing to go to $300 after I couldn’t find one. I had to pay $350 for this one, and about $65 in diesel fuel, but of course, finding one ready to go saved me something like 2 1/2 gazillion hours.

I still have to modify it, and other than thinking about the trailer under it, all I’ve done so far is accumulate parts, but now I think I have everything.

When I get cranking on it, I’m going to post it in the Road Ranger link, since this trailer will be part of the Road Ranger universe. I’m thinking of calling it “The Road Ranger Raith.” I know, that’s not how you spell wraith, but I thought it was a clever blend into the Road Ranger family.

I tooted my horn and flashed my lights when I turned off I 85, but @ericbphoto must not have seen me.

Holy Cow is sweet pea going to explode!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
In the name of cleaning out the shop some I worked on the two Snapper riding mowers I've had in there for the last couple years... put them in there so I'd be more motivated to work on them, didn't work... now that I want the space it's time...

Took the carbs apart and put them through the sonic cleaner, will probably work... the one with points had completely SHOT points, the other would only misfire when pulling it over... so I went and ordered two solid state coils to convert the one and just replace the other... which reminds me I need to get spark plug boots and ends for them...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Did I ever mention that I love Craigslist? That I have no self control? That I’m a child?

A couple months ago I had a brainstorm for a new project, something I could do with these 4 inch aluminum channels, a new trailer.

I had a thought of making a double axle trailer, similar to the Road Ranger trailer, but smaller, and putting a casket on it modified into a beer cooler and maybe have a small grill on it. My timing was bad: have you ever tried to buy a casket at a bargain just before Halloween? That’s a real sellers market.

But like usual, I just checked Craigslist half a dozen times a day and added a casket to my needed items list. If you think about it, if you know anything about buying caskets, a few weeks after Halloween, but a couple weeks before Christmas is the ideal market conditions for the buyer, especially if you offer the guy cash in front of his wife. But even in the buyers market, I was looking at 20 gauge, scratch and dent caskets for $500 or more. That was far out of my budget.

But I got doubly lucky. A couple good old boys in Anderson, South Carolina. (Nikki and @ericbphoto territory), one the son of a mortician, not only had a top quality casket, it was already converted to be a giant cooler. I didn’t know until my recent search for my second casket, that the metal ones were 22 gauge, 20 gauge, or 18 gauge usually. This one is a top quality 18 gauge, making it doubly durable for my insane use. It’s about 10 years old, but it listed for about $1500 at that time.

The icing on the cake? Corporate Coca-Cola company here in Hotlanta hired Atlanta Custom Fabricators (top of the line restaurant kitchen fabricators), to convert the casket into the giant cooler. Coke used it around the southeast for about 10 years during the Halloween promotions and parties. Unfortunately, the box is not stainless steel, it’s only welded galvanized steel, but it does have a brass drain.

View attachment 103064View attachment 103065

It’s straight as an arrow on the outside, built like a brick out house, with a tiny little bit of corrosion in the corners on the galvanized inside. The whole box is insulated, rubber gasket around the tops, and the lids are lined with insulation.

My budget was $200, and I was willing to go to $300 after I couldn’t find one. I had to pay $350 for this one, and about $65 in diesel fuel, but of course, finding one ready to go saved me something like 2 1/2 gazillion hours.

I still have to modify it, and other than thinking about the trailer under it, all I’ve done so far is accumulate parts, but now I think I have everything.

When I get cranking on it, I’m going to post it in the Road Ranger link, since this trailer will be part of the Road Ranger universe. I’m thinking of calling it “The Road Ranger Raith.” I know, that’s not how you spell wraith, but I thought it was a clever blend into the Road Ranger family.

I tooted my horn and flashed my lights when I turned off I 85, but @ericbphoto must not have seen me.

Holy Cow is sweet pea going to explode!

You find some cool stuff lol

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
You find some cool stuff lol
Thank you.

Baby isn’t so sure. She was getting a little scruffy sitting in the weather, and when I took the casket out of the truck, and put it on the Road Ranger, she scooted over to the corner. I think she thought the casket was for her. So I’m going to cut her free and let her play in the hot tub (a/k/a washing machine).

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

I put some small PVC down as I pulled it out of the truck, so I could roll it onto the Road Ranger. My gut feeling is this thing weighs about 250 pounds, maybe a little more. 2/3 of the way to my limit just picking up one end. I think it weighs more than the 88 Ranger bed.

And, don’t worry, don’t report me, after her wash, I intend to spend more time with Baby.

The trailer frame will be out of that 4 inch aluminum channel, and I’ll probably polish it up a little bit instead of painting it. So, informal poll: Should I paint it to match the road Ranger? Should I paint it red, white and blue stars and stripes? Should I paint it black and regal red like the Missing Linc? The Road Ranger Raith will find use across multiple vehicles, maybe including one of the Lincolns. Feel free to consult the rust oleum paint chart for all the options.

I haven’t had it 24 hours, and my neighbor already asked if he could rent it for his Halloween party next year. I didn’t even think of that.

So what colors & why?

Future posts will be in the Road Ranger semi link.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Might be boring. But I like the somber black.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I shortened the support rod for the tablet mount by 3 inches. Being just an aluminum tube with a couple holes drilled near the end for screws to secure flexible portion of the mount, I used a water pipe cutter to reduce the length 1 inch at a time until the head was pretty much where I wanted it to sit. Visually, it doesn't look markedly different that the previous picture.

Once I figure out a bracing solution, I won't take a picture. I'm thinking a couple Adel Clamps with a piece of tubing cut to the appropriate length and the ends flattened so a hole for a bolt or machine screw can be used to secure everything together. That should reduce the majority of the bounce in the mechanism.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
On napa- back in the day it seemed like their electrical automotive stuff was poor quality (starters/alternators mostly) so napa seemed to stand for what youd say to the counter guy when you returned- “ N eed A nother P art, A sshole!”
but nowadays they seem likea good choice for quality parts, but they are the most expensive and seem to have limited hours.
Today was just another day at work, 3.5x5.25 sand cores. 9 pallets of 547 each, headed for mexico. Probably my least favorite core to run, come out 20 at a time.
IMG_7212.jpeg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Green Ranger battery came out and went on the charger and I put air in the one tire on the F-150. Had a miserable headache all day so that was the bulk of it. Mom said her Murano had no brakes and the dash was all lit up this morning. I checked a few things and could not reproduce the problem. I have a suspicion it’s a battery issue though because these new vehicles like to freak out if the battery is a little low and it’s cold.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals