2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Today, I repacked the front wheel bearings and I replaced the brake pads and discs. Mainly because I only had 1/32" of pad material left! :oops:
Meh. Steel on steel stops just fine.

I once ran a set grinding so long that it wore the rotor to the fins, then overextended the caliper and i lost my brakes as i careened torward a T intersection at 50mph.

Good thing i had a 4speed :)

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully dealt with a few coolant seeps (heater hose and lower radiator hose) did some scouting for a later front sway bar and did a little offroad tweaking to the carb (plugged up the passage between the two bowls with a piece of fuel line) I also picked up a fuel pressure regulator so I can turn down the pressure when offroading which is supposed to help but I need a close nipple to combine that with the fuel pressure gauge I already have so that was a swing and a miss today.

Uncle Gump

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
Having been Off Road with carburetors for many years... I've found that lowering fuel pressure will indeed help... at least when used in combination with tweaking the floats a bit. The float tweaks would include dropping the float "level" as far as possible without affecting the circuitry and not starving the engine at WOT. Then I would tighten the distance between float "level" and float "drop" considerably... this helps prevent float bounce in the rough stuff... and lessens the distance the needle travels in the seat which helps prevent the needle sticking in the seat and with uphill/downhill situations. Once I found the sweet spot between fuel pressure and float adjustments... I just ran those settings all the time. No need to adjust fuel pressure for on or off road use.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was hard on mine this weekend. Went to an auction with my trailer and left loaded to the bone. Got a killer deal on a lot of 5 gal buckets of new unopened drywall mud, mortar filler, and barn paint for $2. Putting eight 5 gal buckets on the front of the trailer made it very tongue heavy and I did not spread the load very evenly as I was rushed to get loaded and wasn't sure if everything would fit. Seemed like the drive home (1hr 10 min) was all really LONG slow inclines and my truck was struggling just to stay at the speed limits. It's was weird b/c when I came to a stop the oil pressure gauge would flicker like crazy but would go back to normal when I got on the gas. I just changed the camshaft synchro and the oil pressure sender (with a cheap o'reilly's brand which was my mistake and I plan on going back to the original bc I don't think it was bad). so hopefully the truck was just struggling with the heavy/awkward load. Great day but tiring after only 3 hrs of sleep.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having been Off Road with carburetors for many years... I've found that lowering fuel pressure will indeed help... at least when used in combination with tweaking the floats a bit. The float tweaks would include dropping the float "level" as far as possible without affecting the circuitry and not starving the engine at WOT. Then I would tighten the distance between float "level" and float "drop" considerably... this helps prevent float bounce in the rough stuff... and lessens the distance the needle travels in the seat which helps prevent the needle sticking in the seat and with uphill/downhill situations. Once I found the sweet spot between fuel pressure and float adjustments... I just ran those settings all the time. No need to adjust fuel pressure for on or off road use.
I am more worried about off camber stuff. The only time I got it mess up on rough ground is when I hit a area of plowed ground too fast to drive on anyway.

The thing runs good enough I dont want to play with the floats unless I have to.

8thTon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I drove it to work, and everything worked so well that I stopped listening for problems and put on some music.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 & 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l & 4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Installed a light bar

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I scored an E-fan, but I probably won't get it in my hands for a month or two.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
I used my 2001 4x4 to drag a very large (on fire) tree out of the field after dad's Allis 185 with loader got stuck. Then I pulled his tractor out. The tree was hollow and I had packed it full of sticks and lit it on fire. It was howling like an industrial chimney with fire shooting 10+ft out of the top. It fell over, caught a little of the field (corn) trash on fire, so he had attempted to move it with his tractor, but the Allis was too heavy and sunk like a rock.

So I guess what I did to my Ranger today was get it muddy..

Then I went to check the brush fires a while later in my 87 V8 truck and whipped a 180 in the middle of the road because I felt like it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Shipping it shouldn't be that expensive with a size of around 15"x17" but adding the shrouding might increase that size a little.. Regardless, for a $300 (free) fan it's very worth it. I almost claimed it the minute he posted it but I want to stick with a mechanical fan.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Shipping it shouldn't be that expensive with a size of around 15"x17" but adding the shrouding might increase that size a little.. Regardless, for a $300 (free) fan it's very worth it. I almost claimed it the minute he posted it but I want to stick with a mechanical fan.
Right, shipping shouldn't be much. But my sister lives in Co Springs where the fan is, my cousin is moving to AZ, and most of the rest of our family lives here in the same town as I do. I just gotta make sure nobody is driving through there to here before I pay to ship it.

Saddle Tramp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not today but I sanded off some surface rust in the gutter rails and repainted them over the weekend.