Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Torque is a measure of a "Rotational" force. The work is stationary so It can't be measured between two points, Like horsepower. I learned back in school that one horse power is a measure of how long it takes one horse to pull a set amount of weight a predetermined distance. So 500 HP is a measure of time it would take 500 horses to pull the same amount as before for that same distance. If that makes sense.

EDIT:
index.png
Yes, torque is a measure of rotational force, just as pushing on a wall is a measure of linear force, but it's still just a static quantity. Unless something moves there is no mechanical energy transfer or work done. The "ft" in ft-lbs is not a measure of distance moved but of leverage.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/R14 / 225/70/15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Strapped in the sand buckets and removed the summer tire/rims from the bed. I was a little late since one bucket already started to crack but not bad enough to worry about. What is the worst that can happen? I will need to sweep out the bed in the the spring, like I do every year. :dunno: Kid brought the tires down and put them in storage for me, loving the fact she doesn't mind getting dirty but still wont pull wrenches with me yet. Been snowing all day so I think I put the sand in just in time. Now only if the state and town plows can figure out the Rotary is a circle and the whole thing needs to be plowed and not just 3/4's of it we may be able to get around easily this year.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replaced the 6.5 year old battery. I wanted to buy another Motorcraft battery, but my work schedule prevented me from getting to the dealership before they closed. I ended up buying an Interstate battery from Costco. I think it may be the same product as the Motorcraft battery. Anyway, I've had very good luck with Motorcraft batteries. They usually last about 6 to 7 years for me. Hopefully the Interstate battery will last that long.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is that the Morana intake Ive been looking at? Yeah I'm interested! So I bolted everything up yesterday and the ol 2.9l fired up first try. I set the timing and let it Idle for a minute. It turns out, the exhaust manifold doesn't sit flush with the head. 3rd cylinder pass side. The gap is .021 on the top side. I fit some spring steel in the gap for now until I get my bolts together and replace the manifold all together.
So... There's technically six 2.9s. Two Cozzie, the euro block, German high compression, American merkur, and American Ranger.

Of that, there's five different intakes: cosworth BOA, cosworth BOB, Ranger long runner, Scorpio short ram ttb, and Sierra short ram ttb.

Merkur short ram has more tapped ports, and a bleeder hole between planes at the back. Sierra is true twin plane. Merkur throttle body has egr, Sierra does not. Both use a Volo TPS sensor with a motorcoach part number and Ranger style iac, or the Sierra iac (shorter).

Scorpio has different lower intake as well. Trying to get a hold of one.

My ecu calculated a 12% volumetric efficiency bump across the board by switching from a ported Ranger long runner to a ported Scorpio short runner. Throttle response was miles better with short runner.

There's a few engine photos and videos in my build thread.

Oh and the sound the short runner makes on a stupid cone filter is AMAZING.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
Right on, thanks for that info. You know, I never thought to look up the euro sisters, and I can just imagine how awesome a Cosworth would be. Bout to get settled in and start some research.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Right on, thanks for that info. You know, I never thought to look up the euro sisters, and I can just imagine how awesome a Cosworth would be. Bout to get settled in and start some research.
I am so, so sorry. You just caught the cozzie flu. It's a 200 HP stock sleeper that becomes a 580 rwhp twin turbo fed hellbeest. Once you start researching them, they become an obsession.

I currently have two cousins and a friend in the UK feeding me 2.9 parts from the EU. It's how I wound with three of the short ram intakes 😂

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
Things happen quick at 95...

Slow down and smell the roses young man....
Yeah...I have a bad habit of getting aggravated, annoyed, or anxious too quickly, I'm an Eagle scout in boyscouts so I shouldn't be doing this stupid stuff I know better, and I'm very appreciative of the people in my life and the beauty of nature while it still remains...I just forget to slow down and appreciate the small things in life, going to cruise down to a lake and go fishing today, think I'm finally done with exams today and after school is Christmas break, lovely weather this morning as it was 43°f....wish the rangers had a quicker heater and a heated steering wheel but in the end I was happy to have heat and good weather.....honestly it's just about being thankful and kind especially since Christmas is near....thanks for reminding me life is precious and something to enjoy....

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
An eagle scout huh... that is an achievement to be proud of. I nearly made it to that level... but I fell short of that goal.

You want to go fast... there are places to do that. Flying down a country road trying to leave a bad mood or thought behind you is a recipe for disaster. My sister use to live in Eustis and I was down there not long ago. I didn't see any place I drove where 95 mph would have been remotely safe.

Go catch some fish and be safe...

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well… it was probably the warmest day I've seen in December in many years... 52 degrees. I took my truck down and gave it a good wash. Then I was loading up some junk in the back to put in my work dumpster and looked out on the pond. Two young kids... 10 maybe 12 were out in the middle of the pond. All I could see was me having to go out and rescue them. There is open water and geese swimming. I run out there to the edge yelling and they got the hell off. They ran like there asses were on fire... just wasn't gonna see one them drown today.

Dirtman

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
I try not to interfere with evolution in such ways...

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I couldn't live with myself if one of them had went through and I didn't say anything. Honestly... maybe I'm selfish... I sure didn't want to go out on the questionable ice to have to save them.

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I know you don't mean that... they were just kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumpaw

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up