2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

8thTon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Well, it's not the smallest car I've owned, and not much different in size from the first Fiat I had. 160hp works pretty well in a car that size though!

It has an interesting engine. Back in the 1980's when I was in college some of the other car nuts and I used to read SAE journals and were into engine technology. That was about the time Ford brought out the 3.0 Vulcan V6 and the 2.3L 4 based on a shortened version of the old small inline 6 - I really wondered what Ford was doing. There was discussions about what you could do with solenoid activated valves, if you could eliminate the cam and run the valves under micropprcessor control. For all practical purposes this engine does that with the intake cam - it's run by a hydraulic link between the cam and the valve, but with a solenoid valve that can dump the hydraulic pressure. So the cam profile is determined by the micro.

Last edited:

8thTon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Pic is of a Mini, but a Fiat would do just as well.
Grumpaw
That's insanity. I want to get a pop-up tent trailer and put a hitch on the Ranger - I much nicer way to go.

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Well the Ranger is about to be relieved of daily driving duty. It's running great, but it's 15 years old with 131,000mi and I'm racking up 55-60mi a day on it. Plus we have no backup vehicle since the Cougar needs too much work to get back on the road any time soon. So now the Ranger will at least share commuting duties with this:View attachment 33457
At least you got the "ABARTH*" edition

*fancy*

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
Wanted to post this a while back when I took it, but I forget why I never did, but the other day I had to pass someone towing a mower with that same trailer as in pic, and damn a 3.0 towing a loaded trailer hauls ass, my question really is...well is a trailer with a 3500lbs capable axle too big for my truck? It's doing a number to my bumper since I can't afford even a used tow bar although making my own may work...opinions or thoughts on towing with rangers, hell curious about how well you guys with four bangers tow...also ironically that my truck, same trailer and mower, squats less than my gramps 4x4 2017 f150...is that normal? Sorry for so many questions.....

ericbphoto

Old Redneck just wingin' it.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It’s only too much load if you put too much weight on the trailer. Just because your trailer has a 3500# axle doesn’t mean it weighs too much for the truck. You have to pay attention to how much the trailer weighs, how much weight you add to it and compare that to the towing rating of your truck.

As far as making the truck squat. Well that depends on the weight distribution of the load on the trailer. Try to center the trailers load over the axle with just a little bias toward the front. If using a bumper hitch, you probably would want the tongue weight between 100 - 200lbs. Tongue weight is how much weight is pushing down weight n the hitch.

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Wanted to post this a while back when I took it, but I forget why I never did, but the other day I had to pass someone towing a mower with that same trailer as in pic, and damn a 3.0 towing a loaded trailer hauls ass, my question really is...well is a trailer with a 3500lbs capable axle too big for my truck? It's doing a number to my bumper since I can't afford even a used tow bar although making my own may work...opinions or thoughts on towing with rangers, hell curious about how well you guys with four bangers tow...also ironically that my truck, same trailer and mower, squats less than my gramps 4x4 2017 f150...is that normal? Sorry for so many questions.....View attachment 33462
Get rid of the ball on the bumper and get a real hitch. That bumper is probably rated for about what that trailer weighs empty.
You think a hitch is expensive... if that trailer breaks free and hits something/ someone, insurance won't help you.

You're grandfathers 2017 f150 4x4 has GCWR between 9700lbs and 17,100lbs depending on the wheelbase, gear ratio, tow package, engine size, etc. (I checked my 2017 F150 owners manual.) It can tow more then your Ranger. The non tow package trucks have a 5100lb limit.
His truck probably squats more because it has a softer, stronger suspension. You have a weaker, stiffer suspension. Don't confuse stiffer with stronger. I can tell you both my '15 and '17 F150s won't even notice bumps that tossed the back of any of my dozen or so Rangers around.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
It’s only too much load if you put too much weight on the trailer. Just because your trailer has a 3500# axle doesn’t mean it weighs too much for the truck. You have to pay attention to how much the trailer weighs, how much weight you add to it and compare that to the towing rating of your truck.

As far as making the truck squat. Well that depends on the weight distribution of the load on the trailer. Try to center the trailers load over the axle with just a little bias toward the front. If using a bumper hitch, you probably would want the tongue weight between 100 - 200lbs. Tongue weight is how much weight is pushing down weight n the hitch.
I do distribute the weight accordingly depending on the truck and where it works best, my ranger has soft suspension kinda, though I hate towing with a bumper ball the truck handles it fine, the trailer doesn't weight all that much, tractor supply trailer, doesn't even jar the truck over bumps or stops, gramps f150 probably could use those air helper springs that's for sure...I'd like some for mine as well, I do plan on getting a tow bar for Old Green when money isn't so tight...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PacificGreen you have the exact same ranger as me as far as year/engine/trans except mine has factory tow package which isn't really much besides the hitch and o/d off button. I tow me trailer all the time. I have a 6x8 tilt trailer. It weighs right around 700 pounds empty. I got 2' sides on it and I will load that sucker down with firewood. We all know how heavy firewood can get. As long as I keep the weight pretty well balanced with just a slight forward weight I have NO ISSUES towing even on hills. I honestly think it drives better towing the trailer because it is keeping the RPM's higher. Just remember to keep the load centered and slightly toward the front. If the weight is toward the rear you WILL GET TRAILER SWAY really bad. I would definitely not tow much more than a lawn mower on that trailer if you only have a bumper hitch.... Those bumpers aren't rated for nearly as much as a true hitch. You could probably find one at a junk yard for $50 or so. If I had to guess my trailer loaded with wood weighs close to 2000 pounds if not more and my truck pulls it like a boss. That picture isn't even the most I've loaded. That day I had help and another vehicle so we didn't have to over load the trailer like we normally do. Get a hitch, good 4-way, then go to Walmart and get some hide-a-keys and notch out one side so you can keep your 4-way out of the elements. Works great!

Attachments

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
PacificGreen you have the exact same ranger as me as far as year/engine/trans except mine has factory tow package which isn't really much besides the hitch and o/d off button. I tow me trailer all the time. I have a 6x8 tilt trailer. It weighs right around 700 pounds empty. I got 2' sides on it and I will load that sucker down with firewood. We all know how heavy firewood can get. As long as I keep the weight pretty well balanced with just a slight forward weight I have NO ISSUES towing even on hills. I honestly think it drives better towing the trailer because it is keeping the RPM's higher. Just remember to keep the load centered and slightly toward the front. If the weight is toward the rear you WILL GET TRAILER SWAY really bad. I would definitely not tow much more than a lawn mower on that trailer if you only have a bumper hitch.... Those bumpers aren't rated for nearly as much as a true hitch. You could probably find one at a junk yard for $50 or so. If I had to guess my trailer loaded with wood weighs close to 2000 pounds if not more and my truck pulls it like a boss. That picture isn't even the most I've loaded. That day I had help and another vehicle so we didn't have to over load the trailer like we normally do. Get a hitch, good 4-way, then go to Walmart and get some hide-a-keys and notch out one side so you can keep your 4-way out of the elements. Works great!
I do plan on getting a class 3 reciever in the near future...talked to my "financial advisor"? and said they may let me get one, hadn't bothered to get one because I was still searching for one in my price range...and I also notice my truck drives better under load...not many know the beautiful voice of a 3.0 towing ? And also the pic is the reciever I might be getting....

Attachments

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd get it. $100 ish dollars is a lot cheaper than a ripped off bumper and a runaway trailer with who knows what on the trailer. They are super easy to install in you have a good impact gun. Get the hitch and I assume you have a 4-way already? Time to get an exhaust so it sounds even better under a load. I have a Thrush Welded muffler on mine and it sounds a lot better than the stock muffler. This one gives it a slight rumble but not so loud that you cant talk to the person next to you.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
The muffler I was interested in on summit I think is a thrush, forget the model, and got the connector 4 way thing yes, and yes also more recently got an impact gun and other tools as part of a combo, more or less near beginning of year maybe a little later than that....

sgtsandman

Professional Wrench Bender
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I sniff fuel for a living. Don't judge me!
The general rule of thumb for a trailer tongue weight is 10%-15% of the trailer weight. Anything less is asking for trailer sway. I forget what the problem is if the tongue is too heavy outside of potential tow vehicle squat. The trailer empty, is probably within the limits of the truck and the bumper but the limit on the bumper was fro when the bumper was new and rust free. Like others mentioned, I would get a frame mounted hitch and not trust the bumper of any truck, not just a Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The general rule of thumb for a trailer tongue weight is 10%-15% of the trailer weight. Anything less is asking for trailer sway. I forget what the problem is if the tongue is too heavy outside of potential tow vehicle squat. The trailer empty, is probably within the limits of the truck and the bumper but the limit on the bumper was fro when the bumper was new and rust free. Like others mentioned, I would get a frame mounted hitch and not trust the bumper of any truck, not just a Ranger.
Too heavy pulls a lot harder and messes with the tow vehicle's steering/ride.

romcjr

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 & 2019
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Engine Size
4.0l V6 & 2.3L ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/75r/16
Did some polishing on mine today since it was a rainy nasty day .