Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
I took my truck to the gas station for its bi-yearly seafoam and 93 shell nitro treatment. I have no evidence it works but my truck idles a TON and is 99% stop and go small trip driving which is considered severe service. I have off monday and tuesday so I'm gonna take a 3-4 hour drive tomorrow on the parkway and let the seafoam and nitro do its thing on an italian tune up. (Google it).

I send my oil to Blackstone and they said every 3k miles on my engine equals 5,600k on Similar engines as far as wear. So I do 3k changes, and try to take it out for a stretch twice a year at least. Just hit 70k this month.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

sgtsandman

Professional Wrench Bender
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I sniff fuel for a living. Don't judge me!
Do you guys think a topper, especially a mismatched painted topper makes a truck unique? I ask because mine although it was same color as truck originally but after a failed attempt to paint it silver it made the truck stand out a lot and easy to find in parking lots....so thoughts on toppers please I'm curious.....
It will stand out and depending on the colors, not look bad. My original fiberglass bed cap was a darker green, On the Torch Red Ranger, it actually didn't look half bad. The only reason I got rid of it was because I needed a cap with a reinforced roof so I could have a roof rack.

sgtsandman

Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I took my truck to the gas station for its bi-yearly seafoam and 93 shell nitro treatment. I have no evidence it works but my truck idles a TON and is 99% stop and go small trip driving which is considered severe service. I have off monday and tuesday so I'm gonna take a 3-4 hour drive tomorrow on the parkway and let the seafoam and nitro do its thing on an italian tune up. (Google it).

I send my oil to Blackstone and they said every 3k miles on my engine equals 5,600k on Similar engines as far as wear. So I do 3k changes, and try to take it out for a stretch twice a year at least. Just hit 70k this month.
I do similar with Cheveron Techron fuel system cleaner. I really need to remember to send in a oil sample to Blackstone to see how the engine is doing. I have a kit or two on the shelf collecting dust. They practically yelled at me for changing oil too much on my 1999 CR-V (every spring and fall on all vehicles regardless of mileage). LOL

sgtsandman

Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
Finished the Fluid film an the XLT and "trained" the TPMS sensors in the winter tires. Experience has shown that, that takes about 50% of the time if you don't wait for the light on the dash to come on. I tried making it trip but I either didn't have enough drive cycles or didn't drive enough to trip the light. Time will tell...

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
I finally got around to link pins and front shocks today. When the link pin broke awhile back I just used my cutoff tool on the other side. Then rotated the sway bar up and drove it for awhile. I wanted to see what it felt like without it. After my road test... I like it better with the sway bar.

sgtsandman

Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
If the driving experience is anything like when the rear sway bar link on my CR-V broke, I would want no parts of it. It's amazing what a 1/2 inch bar does to help stabilize things. Talk about squirrely!

Uncle Gump

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
If the driving experience is anything like when the rear sway bar link on my CR-V broke, I would want no parts of it. It's amazing what a 1/2 inch bar does to help stabilize things. Talk about squirrely!
Tomorrow... flying down the tollway will be the real test. It sure felt better (to me) running around town today.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got my Ranger a new friend today, a 96 Explorer 4.0 XLT Control TRAC 4WD. I'm hoping the transmission problem can be addressed with linkage adjustments and maybe some pump valve rebuilds? It started as if just been driven, after sitting a long while, after put my truck battery in to check. A great friend and cousin carried me there, maybe 70 miles, and hauled it home. I've been looking for an engine to replace my Ranger's for quite some time, but think this can be fixed with some work. I backed it out of the driveway after some revs, put it into 4WL, and drove it right up onto the trailer. I'll start with dropping fluids and replacing filters. The engine is actually cleaner underneath than on top side.

Attachments

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I got my Ranger a new friend today, a 96 Explorer 4.0 XLT Control TRAC 4WD. I'm hoping the transmission problem can be addressed with linkage adjustments and maybe some pump valve rebuilds? It started as if just been driven, after sitting a long while, after put my truck battery in to check. A great friend and cousin carried me there, maybe 70 miles, and hauled it home. I've been looking for an engine to replace my Ranger's for quite some time, but think this can be fixed with some work. I backed it out of the driveway after some revs, put it into 4WL, and drove it right up onto the trailer. I'll start with dropping fluids and replacing filters. The engine is actually cleaner underneath than on top side.
What's the issue with the trans?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not really sure Sno. I think it may be a pressure issue, from the higher revs it took to get it rolling, and a post by RonD a few days ago, about pumps and valves. I'm hoping it can be sorted out tho, so I can maybe use this as a daily driver and work on rebuilding the Ranger engine

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I'm not really sure Sno. I think it may be a pressure issue, from the higher revs it took to get it rolling, and a post by RonD a few days ago, about pumps and valves. I'm hoping it can be sorted out tho, so I can maybe use this as a daily driver and work on rebuilding the Ranger engine
Usually when the 4R55E loses reverse it's the separator plate gasket or the servo blown out. IIRC, Ford used to have an upgrade for the separator plate with a bonded gasket. I think there was a TSB on it years ago. If that's the issue, it can be fixed with the trans still in the truck. You just need to drop the pan and valve body.

If it's fwd and rev, it could be a EPC solenoid.

There's other things that it could be... that's just some common stuff.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Usually when the 4R55E loses reverse it's the separator plate gasket or the servo blown out. IIRC, Ford used to have an upgrade for the separator plate with a bonded gasket. I think there was a TSB on it years ago. If that's the issue, it can be fixed with the trans still in the truck. You just need to drop the pan and valve body.

If it's fwd and rev, it could be a EPC solenoid.

There's other things that it could be... that's just some common stuff.
Cool! I'm going to get on it real soon. Thanks for your help! :)

snoranger

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo