Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
replaced both upper control arms on the 2000. noticed the pads were almost gone so I did those too.
while pumping the pedal to tighten the calipers it seemed kind of soft, then the wiffie noticed a puddle behind the drivers side front wheel.
inspection revealed a brake line that was rusted enough to crack when I moved it to change the bushing bolt.
the good news is this happened in the driveway while on jackstands, not while driving.
the better news is it pushed me to the realization that depending on a 19 year old Ranger, and another with 360,400 miles on it
for reliable daily transportation was no longer a good idea.
even better news is that there is now a new 2019 Edge SEL in the driveway.
the best news is now I can really rip into one of those Rangers and have lots of quality time in the garage.

I did test drive a Ranger, really liked it, but rebates and "family-able" made the Edge a better choice.
Boy. That was an expensive control arm job. Congrats on the new vehicle.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
I got the 5.0 back out of the Ranger last night. There is enough room to get it out without pulling the transmission out or taking the exploder accessory brackets off. Just have to slide front, tilt it backwards then rotate the front of the engine to the passenger side. Its also beneficial to create access panels for the bell housing bolts if you use the M5OD-R2 trans. Pull the carpet back pull the screws and remove bolts. But of course now I have to order new orings for the injectors they got torn up pulling them out of the intake.

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
Installed a battery blanket heater and engine oil pan heater. I discovered, to my disappointment, that the oil pan for the transmission is plastic. So, no oil pan heater for it. Maybe in the future, someone will make an aftermarket metal one.
Wait till its 10 years old and cracks

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fixed the dented tailgate that I inherited from the PO. I didn't get a pic before the work, but you've all seen the fence post dent on the top rail of a tailgate before. Just painted the top with a rattle can satin black for now. The rest of gate, as well as the rest of the truck, still needs some minor body work and a paint job, but I just couldn't handle that dented top rail. I also pulled, cleaned and lubed the T-case shift motor. I may end up replacing it but figured I'd try this first. It had started sticking and was requiring a tap or two sometimes to get it to shift.

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
I got the 5.0 back out of the Ranger last night. There is enough room to get it out without pulling the transmission out or taking the exploder accessory brackets off. Just have to slide front, tilt it backwards then rotate the front of the engine to the passenger side. Its also beneficial to create access panels for the bell housing bolts if you use the M5OD-R2 trans. Pull the carpet back pull the screws and remove bolts. But of course now I have to order new orings for the injectors they got torn up pulling them out of the intake.
Your local parts store should carry the o-rings. All of mine do. They're a very common o-ring that fits a lot of different models.

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
Your local parts store should carry the o-rings. All of mine do. They're a very common o-ring that fits a lot of different models.
Im just gonna order the whole kit and change the filter baskets and caps out again might as well. In case those baskets caught any dirt that may have got by when I ran the new pushlock fuel lines.

sgtsandman

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
Wait till its 10 years old and cracks
Think it will last 10 years or just the power train warranty? I think I'll be looking for a pan when the first fluid change is due.

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
Think it will last 10 years or just the power train warranty? I think I'll be looking for a pan when the first fluid change is due.
Just because it's plastic and its exposed to the elements and heat etc im being generous with my estimate. Are you sure its plastic and not magnesium or aluminium. Because a plastic pan for the transmission sounds like a really bad idea unless its actually polymer like a glock then I can see some structural integrity.

sgtsandman

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
Just because it's plastic and its exposed to the elements and heat etc im being generous with my estimate. Are you sure its plastic and not magnesium or aluminium. Because a plastic pan for the transmission sounds like a really bad idea unless its actually polymer like a glock then I can see some structural integrity.
Definitely plastic. It does look like it might have fiber reinforcement like a Glock. I was able to push up in slightly when checking it out. Definitely a plastic of some sort and not any kind of metal. The oil pan on the engine is aluminum and doesn't look that big. I'm wondering if it's a modular design like on the 4.0 SOHC and I couldn't see the rest of it. Makes me wonder where all the 5.7 quarts of oil are being held if not in the pan. I can't see Ford going through the expense of a dry sump on a regular vehicle for public consumption.

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
Definitely plastic. It does look like it might have fiber reinforcement like a Glock. I was able to push up in slightly when checking it out. Definitely a plastic of some sort and not any kind of metal. The oil pan on the engine is aluminum and doesn't look that big. I'm wondering if it's a modular design like on the 4.0 SOHC and I couldn't see the rest of it. Makes me wonder where all the 5.7 quarts of oil are being held if not in the pan. I can't see Ford going through the expense of a dry sump on a regular vehicle for public consumption.
I could see a semi dry/wet sump for the only reason of reliability mostly oil for start up like that kia cadenza when the filter cartridge retains extra oil at the top of the motor so there is no lifter tap and excessive wear on startup and cooler oil for shut down with the turbo. How many people know to let your turbo motor idle for a lil to cool down the egts so you dont cook oil on the bearings. But this is merely speculation on part. Im sure Im most likely wrong.

Ramcharger90

Reaction score
How many of the regular people on here live in pa any way? just from what I have noticed in conversations about 6 of ya are within an hour of me in every direction. Basically the names I see the most anyway

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did a coolant flush last night. Been needing done since one of my "brass" fittings broke over the summer. Finally dumped it, sprayed water through it with the hose off a few times, pulled the reservoir and dumped and flushed it as good as I could. My daughter gave me the weirdest look as I was putting rocks into the reservoir and said its for cleaning haha. Put it all back together and filled with water, started the engine and rev'd it a few times for a few minutes, dumped and flushed again. Still pretty rusty looking. Filled and ran the engine again for about 5 minutes and then dumped it again. Water was mostly clear and by this time it was pitch black out and I got tired of holding a coolant covered flashlight in my mouth. So I topped it off with a jug of 100% antifreeze and then topped that off with 50/50. Hopefully whatever water was left in the engine will mix with the 100% antifreeze and it will balance out.... If not, oh well. Deal with that issue if it comes.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How many of the regular people on here live in pa any way? just from what I have noticed in conversations about 6 of ya are within an hour of me in every direction. Basically the names I see the most anyway
I do.

But I hate you. 🖕🏿

Nah, you 'aight.