• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Maybe that’s the problem.
Well… uhh… I’m having trouble arguing this… especially knowing that the first 4.0 that went in I had the bright idea to use a 3m wafer to clean the head gaskets off…

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well… uhh… I’m having trouble arguing this… especially knowing that the first 4.0 that went in I had the bright idea to use a 3m wafer to clean the head gaskets off…
RIP

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bought a camper top today. $350, with the keys, and they helped me put it on the truck. Lights work, screens aren’t tore, sliders all work.
52C13DEA-BF1C-43CC-AAB6-AB35CD5C0E87.jpeg

Always thought toppers were stupid. Kinda half ass Swiss Army knife. Just turn your truck into a crappy van, you loose the open bed and are don’t gain many of the benefits of a van.

Got roped into doing a bunch of side work for relatives, lot of old people with one foot in the grave and no money to hire it out. Wasn’t about to go drop 10k on a van so I could drive around fixing peoples houses for them. Needed a way to carry around a bunch of power tools without leaving them in the open bed to get stole or rained on.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bought a camper top today. $350, with the keys, and they helped me put it on the truck. Lights work, screens aren’t tore, sliders all work.
View attachment 93321

Always thought toppers were stupid. Kinda half ass Swiss Army knife. Just turn your truck into a crappy van, you loose the open bed and are don’t gain many of the benefits of a van.

Got roped into doing a bunch of side work for relatives, lot of old people with one foot in the grave and no money to hire it out. Wasn’t about to go drop 10k on a van so I could drive around fixing peoples houses for them. Needed a way to carry around a bunch of power tools without leaving them in the open bed to get stole or rained on.
Looks alright on there and you got one of the more rare high ones. Nice.

I do kind of agree, I don’t really like the look of a cap, but I have one for the same kinda reason you now do. Becomes nice to throw tools in and lock them up out of the weather. Practicality wins.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I do kind of agree, I don’t really like the look of a cap, but I have one for the same kinda reason you now do. Becomes nice to throw tools in and lock them up out of the weather. Practicality wins.
I would have rather had a soft topper, had one on my old F-150, but they have practically doubled in price since then. Just couldn’t justify the $900+ for a new one. They are the best of both worlds I feel, yes they don’t lock, but you can’t really see in, so keeps the honest people honest.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well, I finally won, the ZF5 fought a hard battle but it is now lowered to the bottom of the transmission jack travel... apparently I'm going to have to do some finessing of the trans tunnel pinch weld before reassembly, between that and the exhaust there was some interference... Not sure if I'm going to get as far as figuring out how I'm going to get the trans from under the thing tonight but we'll see...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

One of the things they teach you in engineering school is “function over form.” Of course we all want stuff to look as cool as possible, but if it doesn’t work for what we need it for, it’s not worth two cents.

I went to Home Depot last night to get the last few boards for redoing my shed. I’ve been very impressed with the carrying capacity of The Missing Linc.

When I got there, there was an early 90s suburban blocking one of the isles at a 45° angle with his four ways on. One of his front ball joints came loose. When I got there, he had already gotten some washers and a cotter pin or some thing and put it together in an attempt to move it the mile back to his work, but he was wise in that he was very hesitant to drive it anywhere with an erector set steering linkage.

A lot of folks are having a hard time these days, and they don’t have the extra cash to throw at an unexpected problem. I suggested he go about 10 miles an hour, and I would follow him with the code 3 lights on. If it broke, he wouldn’t go flying off the road. So that’s what we did for about a mile and a half. Even had a local cop pass us, didn’t even blink.

When we got there, he wanted to pay me something which I absolutely refused. He asked if he could do anything for me, and I said you’re going to see someone else in trouble, and you’re not going to have the time, but you have to have the faith that their problem at the moment is bigger than your need. Pay it forward.

BTW, It was a black guy, and we did chat a little bit about all the manufactured crap in the press.

Then Lincoln and I went back and got our boards. Lincoln barked at the poor guy the whole time! I have to teach him some charity…

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
One of the things they teach you in engineering school is “function over form.” Of course we all want stuff to look as cool as possible, but if it doesn’t work for what we need it for, it’s not worth two cents.

I went to Home Depot last night to get the last few boards for redoing my shed. I’ve been very impressed with the carrying capacity of The Missing Linc.

When I got there, there was an early 90s suburban blocking one of the isles at a 45° angle with his four ways on. One of his front ball joints came loose. When I got there, he had already gotten some washers and a cotter pin or some thing and put it together in an attempt to move it the mile back to his work, but he was wise in that he was very hesitant to drive it anywhere with an erector set steering linkage.

A lot of folks are having a hard time these days, and they don’t have the extra cash to throw at an unexpected problem. I suggested he go about 10 miles an hour, and I would follow him with the code 3 lights on. If it broke, he wouldn’t go flying off the road. So that’s what we did for about a mile and a half. Even had a local cop pass us, didn’t even blink.

When we got there, he wanted to pay me something which I absolutely refused. He asked if he could do anything for me, and I said you’re going to see someone else in trouble, and you’re not going to have the time, but you have to have the faith that their problem at the moment is bigger than your need. Pay it forward.

BTW, It was a black guy, and we did chat a little bit about all the manufactured crap in the press.

Then Lincoln and I went back and got our boards. Lincoln barked at the poor guy the whole time! I have to teach him some charity…

My best friend is black.. one of my late Rottweilers was ALWAYS super wary of him for whatever reason. Never aggressive.. just skittish.
I never understood why.. my buddy was ALWAYS around him from the time he was 8 weeks up until he passed at 8 or 9 🤷‍♀️ the rotties brother LOVED my buddy though.. he loved everybody who would pet him lol.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
One of the things they are supposed to teach you in engineering school is “function over form.”
FIFY

That principle SEEMS to get lost more often than not these days. It's a real shame, too. When you look at machinery from early 20th century, there was a lot of machinery designed that was robust, functional, ling-lasting AND very pleasing to the eye. Some things were artistic beauties. A small example is early Sunger sewing machines. But look at any old industrial machines. Curved gussets, ornamental pedestals, stands and legs, etc.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I’m still not fully better from being sick, but I’m doing better than I was and I have to get moving again, no more time to rest, things need to happen. Have to get everything ready, hauling the choptop off to get plates Monday and getting the engine Tuesday and have Wednesday to get it going. Yeah, I know, seems a little backwards getting a new plate for it before it’s running, but where I need to go for the plate is near where the engine is so this way I don’t have to make a hurried trip back after it’s running and risk potential trouble.

Anyway, I’ll probably be starting a build thread in the B2 section on here at some point, want to gather some old pictures before I put it together (the build thread that is) and I don’t have time to do that at the moment. But anyway, the audio sucks but here it is…

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well, I’m still not fully better from being sick, but I’m doing better than I was and I have to get moving again, no more time to rest, things need to happen. Have to get everything ready, hauling the choptop off to get plates Monday and getting the engine Tuesday and have Wednesday to get it going. Yeah, I know, seems a little backwards getting a new plate for it before it’s running, but where I need to go for the plate is near where the engine is so this way I don’t have to make a hurried trip back after it’s running and risk potential trouble.

Anyway, I’ll probably be starting a build thread in the B2 section on here at some point, want to gather some old pictures before I put it together (the build thread that is) and I don’t have time to do that at the moment. But anyway, the audio sucks but here it is…

Don't forget the Bronco Corral.

I'd like to see more traffic going through there.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Backwards is as backwards does...

My broncos getting lifted, big tires, and rustproofed before I get around to registering it 😋 priorities lol. 20 day plates should be good for 25 days anyhow...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget the Bronco Corral.

I'd like to see more traffic going through there.
Yeah, I know I should spend some time on there too… this is the only forum I regularly check anymore. Back in the day I was active on over 30 forums but I just don’t really have the time or ambition for that anymore, life kinda got in the way…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Backwards is as backwards does...

My broncos getting lifted, big tires, and rustproofed before I get around to registering it 😋 priorities lol. 20 day plates should be good for 25 days anyhow...
Lol, if it wasn’t that I was trying to hurry up and throw this together so I can go annoy the Jeep crowd when I take it to JeepFest and camp out there with it, I’d be doing things differently. Add in getting sick and a few other things and now we are smashed right up against a hard deadline. I’m not particularly a fan of hauling a dead vehicle around places that it doesn’t need to go, but it seems like the most efficient solution with my time constraints

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals