• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Much as I like that blue… that green does look pretty sweet…

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The green is different... I like it

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Nothing done to or with the Ranger since New years... need to drive it..

AJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I didn’t get to do much to the Ranger, but I did get the last of my tools from the junkyard trip out of the F-150, unpack a few things, and do some testing on leaf spring configurations for the Ranger. Just updated my post in the 4x4 suspension forum with that information.

Hopefully tomorrow I can make a little more progress. We shall see though, might be fixing the boiler if the parts come in and get some heat back in this house. Supposed to go to single digits tonight too. This weekend is supposed to warm up some again so I’m gonna see what I can try to blast out on this. Hopefully I can stop fighting for every little bit and make some real progress again.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I really like the green but still partial to the blue. Wonder why? 😁

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got gas this morning in the '97, the new injectors haven't helped the mileage yet but it's been in the 20's most of this week... but still 23 isn't horrible, when I first got it it got 21mpg no matter what I did... the cold and being stuck in dumb traffic doesn't help that, and I've driven a bit hard at times (why are people driving so dumb the last year or so? 35 in the left lane in a 55 zone with 20 cars passing you on the right should be a sign, I decided they needed to hear my horn for 30 seconds straight since I was stuck...).

The last two times I jumped in the '90 the clutch pedal was soft (still disengaged though), haven't checked the fluid yet but not looking forward to changing either end of that...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Left mine at work yesterday, eyes were so hazed from the catalyst gas at work that it was impossible to safely drive home, especially since it was such a bright sunny day. She hasnt been feeling well so never went back for it last night. Everyone is going to think Im the first one at work today. I will be on a different machine today and only 8 hours instead of 10 so I should be able to drive it home today.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Left mine at work yesterday, eyes were so hazed from the catalyst gas at work that it was impossible to safely drive home, especially since it was such a bright sunny day. She hasnt been feeling well so never went back for it last night. Everyone is going to think Im the first one at work today. I will be on a different machine today and only 8 hours instead of 10 so I should be able to drive it home today.
What is your job?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
What is your job?
Im a machine operator at a place that makes sand cores for foundries. Its a fairly small operation, think we have 10 core machines, the one I mainly operate has a unloader robot . Depending on the part im running , cores come out anywhere from 9 to 20 at a time. The ones yesterday (and first part of monday) were 9 at a time but the biggest ones, 5 x 7.5’s. and of course a bigger core takes more gassing to set up. I think the ventilation system needs upgraded, today wasnt a problem as only 3 machines were running and todays machine I was on was a much smaller core. The pay isnt bad there, usually its 4-10 hr days, o/t is helpful and its winter, why not? The worst part of the day is the cleanup, esp in the summer. A lot of the guys that work there have been there over 30 years. things were slow a couple of years back, even went down to 1 shift for a while. Its been busy lately, I overheard someone say its because the democrats are in power and like to waste money on infrastructure so manufacturing is up as a result. Idk, most of what I run goes to laredo texas, they are referred to as “mexico loads” for some company called asfk. I looked on a map once out of curiosity, laredo does appear to be a border town.
It’s finally my weekend, gassed & washed the ranger, its back in the garage for a couple of days.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Laredo is a border town, right on the Rio Grande. A Mexican town named Nuevo Laredo is right across the river.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
And its very easy to cross to nuevo laredo, or get into line to cross with the big bridge for the 18 wheelers to cross

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got my replacement Knock sensor in yesterday to replace the one I screwed up. I put in on and reinstalled the intake, ect, filled with coolant. Doesn't seem to have any more leaks, but it was hard to tell because there was so much coolant pooled up in the valley between the heads.

I think it will be fine. Shouldn't have to deal with that smell valve cover leak any more either.

Was 5*F when I went out to put it back together this morning. Had my heavy insulated coveralls on.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got my replacement Knock sensor in yesterday to replace the one I screwed up. I put in on and reinstalled the intake, ect, filled with coolant. Doesn't seem to have any more leaks, but it was hard to tell because there was so much coolant pooled up in the valley between the heads.

I think it will be fine. Shouldn't have to deal with that smell valve cover leak any more either.

Was 5*F when I went out to put it back together this morning. Had my heavy insulated coveralls on.
I’ve come to realize that productivity working on fixing a vehicle seems to drop substantially once the temperature drops below 20* if you have to work outside. I have all the insulated and heated gear, but it’s still just miserable and I try to only do it if I have no choice. Good on you for getting after it this morning though! I would have waited until this afternoon, lol. I’d be out there now if it wasn’t that I’m the only one here to man the fire since it’s our only heat right now.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, didn’t get to spend as much time today on the Ranger as I wanted to, but got to spend a little time down there, cleaning some things up and prepping stuff today. Hopefully I can hit it hard tomorrow. Need to work out a few details really soon.

Need to settle on a leaf pack to build. I stuck several possible pack configurations together and compressed them and I’m still not really sure what to make of it. Posted all about it in the 4x4 suspension forum. If I can pick one in the next day or so, I can get the rear axle in.

My Ranger rear driveshaft has the wrong bolt pattern flange on it to mate to the AWD t-case. Don’t remember this being a problem before with this swap, but I have the Explorer rear shaft. The one flange has a couple gouges in it from a U-joint failure but probably still would be ok? Thought about trying to work some weld into it, I’m guessing it’s cast steel? Could use the other flange too I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals