• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Finally got around to building a new front hitch receiver for the winch. Hooked the winch up and made sure it’s working. Hopefully I won’t have to dig the truck out anymore!

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Finally got the new tires installed and did the crude alignment. Toe was WAY in! Explains why the wore out ATs were worn so funny. Once I replace the one outer tie rod and both LCAs I can get a proper alignment. Have to drive it for a bit for now. Now I need to figure out the shift lever issue before I break something.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
No real progress on the Ranger, was and is, snowing. I’m not particularly happy about that.
It's too cold out, even with the heater on inside my garage. So I brought a project inside and will be working on our dining room table. My wife is a very patient woman.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's too cold out, even with the heater on inside my garage. So I brought a project inside and will be working on our dining room table. My wife is a very patient woman.
Didn’t really feel all that cold to me today, but that means it was wet because it was too warm for the snow that was coming down.

That’s definitely a very patient woman, better keep her, they don’t make many like that. If I can get my garage up, it should stay plenty warm enough for me. It’s insulated and I got a pretty much brand new commercial grade heater with it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i went to the junkyard yesterday with my son since i saw they got a new ranger on the lot. they did and hadn't had anyone come look at it yet so we got the 97 single cab seat rails that we were hoping were still there. now we just have to find some cool seats to put in. maybe some focus or fiesta st seats so they match the colors already in the truck?

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Managed to get after the Ranger again until I got stopped by snow and coming darkness. Got the battery tray fitted (I’m converting to the plastic Explorer one so it fits a 65 series battery) and a few other little things knocked out. Think it’s gonna make the most sense just plumbing up the original power steering pump for now and worry about going to an electric one later. I know where and how the electric pump will fit, but it’s going to require changing the windshield washer tank and coolant reservoir to something different and doing something different with the intake, so possible, but more than I want to deal with right now.

The F-150 needs some serious attention really soon and I don’t want to get buried in that project without something else to drive. Really probably the thing to do is get the Ranger up and move on to the dump truck before really attacking the F-150, I can limp the F-150 through what I’ll need of it until I can get another big truck (the dump) going again and then I can just do another major overhaul to the F-150. Somewhere in there I want to find another engine and some D-35 front axle parts for the choptop. Then I can re-evaluate what order the rest of the projects fall in.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Did quite a few 'middle of the empty intersection' donuts today lol. 2 different intersections. The first one was more satisfying.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just ordered injectors for the '97, went with the rebuilt for $120, will have them next week... it's running worse lately, shakes at idle some, floods at startup sometimes, gas mileage dropping slightly... at around 195k I don't blame it...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i went to the junkyard yesterday with my son since i saw they got a new ranger on the lot. they did and hadn't had anyone had look at it yet so we got the 97 single cab seat rails we were hoping were still there. now we just have to find some cool seats to put in. maybe some focus or fiesta st seats so they match the colors already in the truck?
Gen 3 Taurus/Sable seats with the flip/fold center console. You get a center seat, an armrest, and a center console out of that setup. Gen4 Taurus/Sable seats with the flip/fold center console, the center lays flat on the floor. Gen3 sits at an angle. Both are comfortable enough to spend hours in.

Gen1 Taurus/Sable split bench is a really comfy seat. I've also spent hours at a time on those.

Gen1 Focus seats are another good bet.

Aerostar captain's chairs are good, too.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Gen 3 Taurus/Sable seats with the flip/fold center console. You get a center seat, an armrest, and a center console out of that setup. Gen4 Taurus/Sable seats with the flip/fold center console, the center lays flat on the floor. Gen3 sits at an angle. Both are comfortable enough to spend hours in.

Gen1 Taurus/Sable split bench is a really comfy seat. I've also spent hours at a time on those.

Gen1 Focus seats are another good bet.

Aerostar captain's chairs are good, too.
all those fit that rail set up? thats awesome

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
all those fit that rail set up? thats awesome
Assuming that you're starting with a bucket rail and not a bench rail, yes. Because the Taurus seats that I mentioned are all a cross between a bucket and a bench. The Focus and Aerostar seats are buckets.

There've been a few discussions around here about seats. The general understanding is that if you use Ranger (bucket or split bench) tracks, and the rail off the bottom of your chosen seat, you can use any Ford seat. You could even use the seats out of a 1990 Festiva (although those are probably mighty uncomfortable).

A split bench, or the Taurus' Flip/fold center console) uses four tracks and four rails, placed in the same locations under the seats as tracks for buckets would be placed.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Installed a new set of WeatherTech front and rear floor mats in my 2002 Ranger XLT as my originals were wearing through.

Seems like WeatherTech would produce a made-to-fit set for this Ranger considering how many Rangers are running out there - but no. Had to trim down a general purpose set of floor mats.

Anyone know if the floor configuration changed with each generation of Ranger? Wiki says the chassis were the same for the first 29 years but perhaps the floor mats had to change with each generation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals