• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, sun came out for a bit this afternoon so I went to see if I could get anything done to the green Ranger. Turns out there was some rust and corrosion holding it from moving, so I popped the pulley and clutch apart and cleaned it up. Then I pulled out the bolts that I had cleaned up and by golly, three of the four are not long enough and none of them thread in. I was certain that’s what they came off of. Oh well, I’ll just add some new bolts to my hardware order I’m building again. If I have the correct bolts, I don’t know where they would be at this point.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Well, sun came out for a bit this afternoon so I went to see if I could get anything done to the green Ranger. Turns out there was some rust and corrosion holding it from moving, so I popped the pulley and clutch apart and cleaned it up. Then I pulled out the bolts that I had cleaned up and by golly, three of the four are not long enough and none of them thread in. I was certain that’s what they came off of. Oh well, I’ll just add some new bolts to my hardware order I’m building again. If I have the correct bolts, I don’t know where they would be at this point.
It's hard to get motivated come winter, but this year I got a new propane heater. Now I go out and putter whenever I feel the urge.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's hard to get motivated come winter, but this year I got a new propane heater. Now I go out and putter whenever I feel the urge.
Oh, it’s not motivation that’s my problem, it’s I’m entirely at the mercy of the weather (rained most of the day here) and I’m still dealing with concussion issues. I need to get a garage up on my property so I can work no matter the weather or daylight. I intend to make a good, hard push to make that happen this year. Working in a gravel driveway is not really conducive to productivity

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, it’s not motivation that’s my problem, it’s I’m entirely at the mercy of the weather (rained most of the day here) and I’m still dealing with concussion issues. I need to get a garage up on my property so I can work no matter the weather or daylight. I intend to make a good, hard push to make that happen this year. Working in a gravel driveway is not really conducive to productivity
You're a better man than I.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
The axles seals were toast and on closer inspection so were the bearings. The axles were pretty trash too, but I installed these axle-saver bearings and I think that will get me down the road for a while.
IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You're a better man than I.
I dunno about that, just so far never had a better place to work on things except when I had access to a shop. It’s always been mud or gravel. It sucks and it’s not very productive, but when it’s all you got, you make do. Some work I’ve done up at my buddy’s garage, but there’s no room to pull a vehicle in there, you just have to work partway on a concrete pad and partway in the dirt outside of the garage.

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
I dunno about that, just so far never had a better place to work on things except when I had access to a shop. It’s always been mud or gravel. It sucks and it’s not very productive, but when it’s all you got, you make do. Some work I’ve done up at my buddy’s garage, but there’s no room to pull a vehicle in there, you just have to work partway on a concrete pad and partway in the dirt outside of the garage.
Start with a slab. If you don't get the building up (same year as slab)at least your out of the gravel or mud

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I finished the woodwork inside my pickup. The bed floor had rust issues when I first got it. I removed it and media blasted the bottom and repainted it. Rather than welding repair panels in the weak spots, I put in an oak floor and tool box. Today I finally finished it with latticed sides. View attachment 87710
That’s classy AF!
I approve!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Start with a slab. If you don't get the building up (same year as slab)at least your out of the gravel or mud
Oh, the slab and building are the easy bits. The fact that the township owns part of my property is the biggest problem along with money. Then it’s a matter of stripping the topsoil and filling in to level the area. I did concrete construction for like 11 years so a slab isn’t a big deal. Where I want to set up for now will eventually be turn around for the permanent garage, so it will just get a broom finish most likely. I have a metal garage building in pieces on the property already that I tore down elsewhere last year. Get the power company to give me a temporary drop and done. When I can swing a lift, that will go in too. After the house is done, I’ll work on the permanent garage, but that’s gonna be a good few years.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, the slab and building are the easy bits. The fact that the township owns part of my property is the biggest problem along with money. Then it’s a matter of stripping the topsoil and filling in to level the area. I did concrete construction for like 11 years so a slab isn’t a big deal. Where I want to set up for now will eventually be turn around for the permanent garage, so it will just get a broom finish most likely. I have a metal garage building in pieces on the property already that I tore down elsewhere last year. Get the power company to give me a temporary drop and done. When I can swing a lift, that will go in too. After the house is done, I’ll work on the permanent garage, but that’s gonna be a good few years.
You just might suddenly become very popular after you get that garage too. My friends are always hanging out.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You just might suddenly become very popular after you get that garage too. My friends are always hanging out.
I’m usually only popular when I’m doing things for other people and I’m about done with that dumb game. You want to hang out? Great. You want me to fix your vehicle? Pay up, sucker. And get in line, I’m not putting off my projects to fix yours unless you’re helping and cough up a few bucks, I’m done with the free help because when I need help, everyone scatters. Don’t like that attitude? There’s the door, don’t let it hit you where the good Lord split you on the way out.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I’m usually only popular when I’m doing things for other people and I’m about done with that dumb game. You want to hang out? Great. You want me to fix your vehicle? Pay up, sucker. And get in line, I’m not putting off my projects to fix yours unless you’re helping and cough up a few bucks, I’m done with the free help because when I need help, everyone scatters. Don’t like that attitude? There’s the door, don’t let it hit you where the good Lord split you on the way out.
I had to set limits. One of my friends said he needed about 4 hours, but kept his car in my driveway for over a month.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i stopped helping out too. everyone always used to come ask me to fix their vehicles and my wife complained about it so i stopped.

its less headache to say no to people asking for help than listen to wives' nag all day

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals