• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
That sounds horribly excessive. I wonder who has family in the nj road department and the fed

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
According to the state of NJs budgetary publications there was over a Billion dollars of federal funding for NJ state and local highway departments.
But what is that as a percentage of total spending?

California funds about 95% of of road and highway spending through state and local taxes. Keep in mind that this is for all roads. If we were to hold the Feds accountable only for what they are responsible for, which isn't much more than the interstates, that number would be very different. I tried to find out what it was for California, but the closest number I could find is that California is reimbursed for 90% of maintenance on interstates. To make finding numbers even more confusing, CA, TN, WA, and several other states are building out highways to interstate specifications hoping that they will be reimbursed from the Feds when these projects are completed.

That sounds horribly excessive. I wonder who has family in the nj road department and the fed
I'm sure that's part of it. However, building freeways through urban areas is very expensive. Some years back I read about a freeway that was expanded in NJ that ended up costing something like $162M per lane mile through one segment due to the cost of acquiring land to accommodate the expansion.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I took a look at the power steering leak. It's not the pump. Its the hose. It's loose. Not because the nut came loose. I'm guessing there's an o-ring in it that disintegrated due to age. I read about it on several Ford car and truck models. Based on what I read, the o-ring can't be replaced. I'll have to replace the hose. I might replace the pump too due to mileage.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You guys went off on this whole discussion about roads based off the one comment that I work for road department… I work in Vehicles Services. Start over.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
You guys went off on this whole discussion about roads based off the one comment that I work for road department… I work in Vehicles Services. Start over.
So you are the guy that fixes the road paver vehicle? If so, we are still on track

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you are the guy that fixes the road paver vehicle? If so, we are still on track

AJ
There is a difference between "working on" and "fixing"

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

AJ
No… I’m the guy who assigns a mechanic to fix the road paver. I recently got promoted.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Didn’t get to work on the Ranger much today, it was a rough day. I did get to poke at it some though. Need to finish out my latest Summit Racing order, need some clamps and adapters for the -AN stuff. Debating on ordering a muffler too, going to need it eventually. Looks like Magnaflow is about the only choice for a not overly expensive stainless crossover muffler. We used one of those on dad’s 5.0 build, it wasn’t quite as quiet as dad would have liked, but sounded good, so… I guess I just need to decide on what size. Going 2.5” in and out, I’m guessing the larger the muffler the quieter it’s likely to be…

Also need to figure out what exactly is going on with the CV axle shaft seals/dust shields/whatever they are. Need to put a post up somewhere for it I guess. Ordered what was listed as “wheel seals” for it. Pried what was left of the old ones off the CV shafts at the knuckle/wheel bearing and went to put the new ones on and they don’t look or fit anything like the originals. Of course there’s no explanation with them. I looked on the tech archives and what is showed there is what I understand of it, but the seal shown there matches the originals. The part number listed isn’t the same as what shows that should be the right part on Tasca, what they show has a different part number and looks like what I got for the new part. If I had to guess, instead of putting this new one on the CV like the original, this one gets put into the knuckle, but hopefully someone can shed some light on this…

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fixed the seal on and installed my $125 Bacflip G2 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Once I get a few replacement pieces for it I think I'm going to like it. Well I already do, but I want to get a few things fixed.

Not sure how exactly I’m going to make it happen, but I NEED to get a garage up on my property this coming year. This working outside on the ground just takes too much time and effort.
Working on the ground is bullplop. I'm with you. I NEED to have my own garage next year. NEEEEEEEEEEED.
I’ve been working on the ground for over 20 years now.
It’s all a huuuuge waste of time. Trying to work around weather and daylight and you have to pull out all of your parts and tools to start and put them all back when you’re done and cover stuff with tarps that tear or blow off in the wind and I’m just over it. It was bad enough to deal with before my concussions and now that I’m limited to only being able to work a few hours at a time, it’s really hard to make progress. I’m done.
I don't know that its going to happen next year, but I'm in the same boat myself. @lil_Blue_Ford everything you said there is very true. Between those and weather I feel like I never get anywhere on any projects. Time for an enclosed space with a proper floor, and maybe a lift if I can swing it. I'd say climate control too, but that might be pushing the budget a little much, and it doesn't get that bad here during winter. Summer can be rough, but good fans go a long way.

I think next year I'll be focusing on getting property cleared for a place to build, then the year after working on the building.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Fixed the seal on and installed my $125 Bacflip G2 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Once I get a few replacement pieces for it I think I'm going to like it. Well I already do, but I want to get a few things fixed.

I don't know that its going to happen next year, but I'm in the same boat myself. @lil_Blue_Ford everything you said there is very true. Between those and weather I feel like I never get anywhere on any projects. Time for an enclosed space with a proper floor, and maybe a lift if I can swing it. I'd say climate control too, but that might be pushing the budget a little much, and it doesn't get that bad here during winter. Summer can be rough, but good fans go a long way.

I think next year I'll be focusing on getting property cleared for a place to build, then the year after working on the building.
I need to strip topsoil, fill, and get approval from the township. I really need a backhoe. Or at least dad’s skid steer running. The garage building I got came with a nearly new propane heater and it was insulated. I see no reason not to do something like a mini-split or something to help in the summer. It’s not quite as big as I wanted, but it will suit my needs until I can build the permanent shop, which due to the grade of the property will need to have a basement level. I want to set this metal building in what will be the turn-around area for the future garage.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Poked at the green Ranger project a little more today. Got my Summit order mostly done, almost forgot a couple fittings. Just need to decide on a muffler. We used a Magnaflow crossover muffler on dad’s 5.0 build, 14” length. Being mine has headers and all, I was thinking 18” length to hopefully quiet it down a little, but could use either. Although Summit lists them as crossover mufflers (Tru-X I believe it says) and Magnaflow lists them as straight through… if it’s actually been changed to straight through, do I need an X or H pipe somewhere in the system? Running duals all the way back…

Oh, and I think I figured out the wheel seal, apparently it now goes in the spindle instead of on the CV shaft. It appears as though it would fit correctly that way and sort of makes sense considering the failure rate of the original seals

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked the fluids and applied a protective layer of mud to the underside before I put it on the street for a few days.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
filled her up yesterday and carried the mountain bike to the christmas ride. today she is going for her annual safety inspection so i can get a new registration sticker.

i might get a disabled vet plate put on this year. my wife's car was supposed to get my second one but she seems to not want it on her car. thats fine, i will put it on the ranger and the ranger can go on toll roads for free and park for free at the airport.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Went for a breakfast burrito run this morning and the brake pedal went to the floor. Got it home and pulled the rear wheels. The right one had looked wet for a while, and I was planning on doing the axle seals but now I'm doing the brakes too.
IMG_2795.JPG

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, after being volun-told this morning to go fetch a freezer, getting to the store to find they had none in stock, then going to another store and chipping in on paying the difference because it was a little bigger for my parents, getting home, unloading (and now they see it’s made in China so they’re not sure they want it), I got to spend a couple hours on my green Ranger instead of most of the day like I had intended.

Finished getting the drivers side knuckle and wheel bearing cleaned up along with the CV axle shaft, got the new wheel seal hammered in the knuckle (not sure if it has to be fully seated or not yet), and got everything close to being back together. The drivers side caliper is frozen solid. Pads are rust blobs. Rotors look ok. Guess I have to call my guy and see what’s all under warranty tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals