• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Took a long lunch and the boss drove me to the junkyard (his idea... wasn't going to argue...) I got the front end so I could get the tailgate... in and out in 5 minutes but 15+ minute drive each way... Not sure how the counter lady's math worked but she basically wrote in that it was $25 plus $5 core and $3 environmental fee and $2 entry fee so I got a color matching tailgate with a couple small dings and no emblem for $35... I had a $20 coupon but didn't use it since she saved me $15 on top of what that was supposed to do, should have been $68 plus fees before the discount, score :)

I'll get it mounted tomorrow most likely, we'll see if I have an emblem floating around to fit so I don't have to take it off my current gate, I have a stash of that stuff somewhere...

LearningStick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I wanted at least an estimate, so I took it to the one collision guy who was willing to consider a rusty frame repair. He said the whole frame is too rotted to repair, but what's left can still last a long time. I tried to spray some Rustoleum, which the wind blew back. I may put it on jackstands and use a brush with engine paint.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I attempted to put the key in the door lock, but it wouldn't go in. After a minute I realized it rained and water froze in the lock. I went inside to get some warm water to put on the lock so I could get the key in the lock. When I tried to open the door it took a bit of a tug to get it open because the ice almost glued the door shut. Then I had to de-ice the windshield. I got another pitcher of water, cold water so I wouldn't crack the windshield, and the water froze to the windshield and the driveway upon contact. It was 26° this morning. That's not terribly unusual here. What is less common is having it rain in the middle of the night and freeze that fast.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I attempted to put the key in the door lock, but it wouldn't go in. After a minute I realized it rained and water froze in the lock. I went inside to get some warm water to put on the lock so I could get the key in the lock. When I tried to open the door it took a bit of a tug to get it open because the ice almost glued the door shut. Then I had to de-ice the windshield. I got another pitcher of water, cold water so I wouldn't crack the windshield, and the water froze to the windshield and the driveway upon contact. It was 26° this morning. That's not terribly unusual here. What is less common is having it rain in the middle of the night and freeze that fast.
I wouldn't pour water on the windshield, personally. What I do when there's frost/ice on my windows is start the engine, set the heater on defrost, and the fan on high. If I have a rear window defroster, I also turn it on at the same time as I start the engine. Then, while I'm waiting, I brush the snow off the vehicle, and grab my (PLASTIC!!) scraper. I start scraping on the side windows. Do all of those, then move to the back window. Once that's done, the windshield has softened enough to be able to scrape it.

Will scraping the frost/ice off the windows scratch them? It can. You can even break the window, if you hit it too hard in the wrong place. But, it's either that, or idle your engine forever and a day while you wait for the frost to melt.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, yesterday I set out to work on the Ranger some. Then dad called and said a deer ran into the side of his truck so that was an hour or so wasted on searching for a deer that apparently wasn’t really hurt, just stunned a bit.

So then I was back to the Ranger project. Got the new heater lines almost done, kinked another piece of line and made a couple errors in calculation. Was down to final fitting of the last piece and ran out of light and it started to rain (the rain that wasn’t supposed to happen until after midnight).

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wouldn't pour water on the windshield, personally. What I do when there's frost/ice on my windows is start the engine, set the heater on defrost, and the fan on high. If I have a rear window defroster, I also turn it on at the same time as I start the engine. Then, while I'm waiting, I brush the snow off the vehicle, and grab my (PLASTIC!!) scraper. I start scraping on the side windows. Do all of those, then move to the back window. Once that's done, the windshield has softened enough to be able to scrape it.

Will scraping the frost/ice off the windows scratch them? It can. You can even break the window, if you hit it too hard in the wrong place. But, it's either that, or idle your engine forever and a day while you wait for the frost to melt.
Cold water is ok to use in the temperatures we have here. If it was 10 degrees I would hesitate to use water at all, plus it would just freeze again. Typically, we get frosty mornings around 30° or so with a little bit of frost on the windshield. Friday morning it dropped down to freezing, then it rained and the water froze when it hit cold objects. Usually, when the rain moves it it brings the temperature up above freezing and this isn't a problem. Plus, I park under a tree. That prevents frost on the truck most of the time. I have a plastic scrapper somewhere in the garage that I take along with me if I go someplace where I needit, like Lake Tahoe. And no, the ice scrappers are made for windshields, so they don't scratch.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Or put the vehicle in a garage.
Or move to Mexico or Florida!
I'm actually OK with the climate here. It gets a bit hot in the summer, but humidity isn't a problem. It can get a bit chilly in the winter at times, but it is usually just cool and damp. Rain coming in while it's freezing occurs here, but it's unusual enough that it's a bit of a surprise when it happens.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, after a rough start to the day I went out and worked on the Ranger some. Got the heater hoses finished. Well, I still need to put some clamps on the hard line and tighten the -AN fittings, but it’s all bent and new rubber line and partially clamped. Started getting the rust knocked off the spindles and a few other things.
0890B8B0-6CEC-4B7A-A1A0-D6BF3924A77F.jpeg

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yesterday, I drove the truck over to the river and took a walk in the American River Parkway in the cold rain. Halfway through the walk an officer on a horse (Park ranger or sheriff, I'm not sure), asked me what I was doing. I told him I was taking a walk. He said it is raining. I said, "I know." He told me I was dripping wet. I told him he, and his horse were dripping wet. I then asked him if there was a problem or concern regarding my walking through the park. He said, no, it's just unusual to see someone taking a hike through the park in the rain. I told him it was unusual for a ranger to show up on a horse in the rain.

I don't know what that was all about, so, whatever.

And it's really not unusual to see people hiking in the rain.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yesterday, I drove the truck over to the river and took a walk in the American River Parkway in the cold rain. Halfway through the walk an officer on a horse (Park ranger or sheriff, I'm not sure), asked me what I was doing. I told him I was taking a walk. He said it is raining. I said, "I know." He told me I was dripping wet. I told him he, and his horse were dripping wet. I then asked him if there was a problem or concern regarding my walking through the park. He said, no, it's just unusual to see someone taking a hike through the park in the rain. I told him it was unusual for a ranger to show up on a horse in the rain.

I don't know what that was all about, so, whatever.

And it's really not unusual to see people hiking in the rain.
Sounds like he's just not too good at flirting.

He should of just immideately hit you with the "let's get you back to my cabin and out of those wet clothes hmmm?"

That woulda worked on me. I'm easy though.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Today I put the new rear window in the '90, quick 20 minute project, thought about moving it out of the shop but I was using it for a workbench so I left it :)

Yesterday I put the new tailgate on the '97, I lost the slotted pivot bushing in the junkyard so it apparently needs new ones... I put the one in from the original tailgate but it's retainer deal is about gone too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals