• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Last week I road tripped my truck up to deer camp. Put just about a thousand miles on it. On the way there... I got 16.2 mpg (I sat in stop and go traffic for over an hour) but on the smooth sail home it was 17 mpg. The tank of fuel I burned while two-trackin in 4wd with 8-10 inches of snow... driving into town etc... and lots of idle time... 12.2 mpg.

I'm probably going to take my tire carrier off for the winter... I have to haul a couple sheets of drywall and lumber for a couple projects. I did loosen the bumper brackets and straighten it up so it sat uprite before I left. I think the factory bumper brackets are bending. But i might not be giving the bolts enough rat a tat tats. I have a set of AOR HD brackets just haven't put them on. It will happen this spring. You can see everything leaning back again after the drive there.

20221123_132300.jpg

My bother-in-law bought a used Taco TRD (he calls it the TuRD)... but he loves it. I couldn't get in or out of it without bumping my head and the cab for me was just uncomfortable. Something is just off with the Toyota's cab. It is his first "shift on the fly" 4WD and when he would come out of 4WD there was an associated bang/crunch going on. I noticed he was coming completely of the throttle then selecting 2WD. Then when the 4WD indicator turned off... he would add throttle and get the bang/crunch. I got him to use light throttle and drive through the transition... smooth as silk. We got him in and out 4L a couple times and I made sure he was a two wheelie peelie and his diff functioned. He cruised it all over on half worn street tread. Maybe all of those engines are a bit clattery... I know my 4.0L is way quieter.

All the snow had melted by Saturday.

20221127_081012.jpg

While out in his truck we did catch this guy checking us out... Big Barred Owl. At first sight... I thought why in the world is there a monkey in that tree. From the cabin... we could hear him at night... perhaps looking for love? Pretty cool experience.

IMG_20221124_145659.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
20220520_131047.jpg

We had a couple of them in the yard for most of the year. These two didn't seem to be too wary of humans which I thought was neat. The racket they make at night is wild!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 2011 typically has the fuel light come on at about 2 gallons. I forget on the 2019. I think it comes on at Either 2 or 3 gallons left in the tank.

Except on long trips and the biannual fuel system cleaner, I try not to run the tank down that low.

Like Eric said, the pump depends on the fuel for cooling.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The racket they make at night is wild!
Yes, yes it is. Owls in general. Try sitting in a deer stand at 5am and not knowing he's right overhead until he starts hooting.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yes, yes it is. Owls in general. Try sitting in a deer stand at 5am and not knowing he's right overhead until he starts hooting.
It's the rabbits and partridge that always jumped me while hunting lol. They'll wait to move until your right on top of them then all of a sudden they leave at 106mph.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard the fuel pump cooling thing is more of a theory than a fact... I don't do like when I was a teenager and just put $5 in the tank at a time (back when that got you 5 gallons or more...). The fuel pump has fuel running THROUGH the motor, it's a brushed DC motor, the spinny bits are what create heat... anyway in a commuter I run full to emptyish (empty line on the '97 still has at least 3 gallons left) depending on when I feel like getting fuel... in the '97 I can make it about 6 days, explorer was 3-4... on a Ranger changing the fuel pump isn't a huge amount of work anyway.

Been driving the '97 to work for a couple days, it's doing fine, added some cardboard over the radiator yesterday since it didn't get over 150 on the way in to work yesterday... it now vibrates at idle, apparently when the engine is attached to the vehicle it's a bit different... :). Just returned the old bumper to the junkyard today for the core charge (no way a 20lb bumper is worth $5 in scrap) since it wasn't out of the way...

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
A little more progress on the roll bar today. Got the back bars both notched to fit the main hoop and now I just need to put the holes through the box floor to weld them to the frame. Violated that 7.35 roll bar rule with a couple of 7.29s at the last race so I gotta be legal in 2023.

20221130_114809.jpg

20221130_114917.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've heard the fuel pump cooling thing is more of a theory than a fact... I don't do like when I was a teenager and just put $5 in the tank at a time (back when that got you 5 gallons or more...). The fuel pump has fuel running THROUGH the motor, it's a brushed DC motor, the spinny bits are what create heat... anyway in a commuter I run full to emptyish (empty line on the '97 still has at least 3 gallons left) depending on when I feel like getting fuel... in the '97 I can make it about 6 days, explorer was 3-4... on a Ranger changing the fuel pump isn't a huge amount of work anyway.
Oh no, they actually do use the fuel to cool them. While not to the extent of aircraft fuel pumps but they do depend on the fuel running through them for cooling. With aircraft, there is a minimum standard fuel load dictated for each tank. Partly for the heat sink cooling aspect but also to minimize cavitation since jet engines don't like a lot of air bubbles in the fuel they are being fed. In any case, while the sealed motor in an automotive fuel pump doesn't generate a massive amount of heat, it does generate heat that needs to go somewhere.

Fuel being used for cooling is not a new thing either and has been used in a lot of applications. Including rocket engines. The fuel is circulated through the rocket nozzles to cool them from the intense heat and I believe it also helped boost performance and power at the same time but it has been a long time since I've read anything on the subject and I am not a rocket scientist.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Used the 2011 to haul home some lumber to replace some of the decaying, 10+ year old lumber that makes up the carport. Considering it's untreated pine boards, I can't complain. 10+ years is a good run considering. It didn't need a lot. 4, 2"X4"X10' and 10, 2"X3"X6' boards. $52 worth in all.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I was meaning that the fuel in the tank outside the pump doesn't necessarily cool the pump, I was saying the cooling is done inside the pump not outside... it is very true that the less fuel you have the more heat is built up so there's a limit to this, in a return system pressurizing the fuel creates heat which is returned to the tank then cycled back through the pump increasing the fuel temp and so forth... I think that's the biggest reason for what people say... in short you aren't going to kill your fuel pump if you get below 1/4 tank occasionally, you "might" shorten the life of the pump if you drive reasonable distances (heat has to build up) and never fill over 1/4 tank...

Jet fuel is basically kerosene isn't it? which is similar to diesel and might foam up? That and being in the air relying on air speed to keep it up and the engine loaded sure changes the dynamics of the situation, as well as the pressure inside (and/or outside...) the fuel tank :).

There's debatable things in there, myself I try not to stress on some things I might have in the past, but then again I have 6 vehicles that currently run for just me and the wife so I'm not relying on one anymore...

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
My 08 Sport Trac didn't even have a dip stick to check.
I believe they changed quite a bit in 07 when they changed the body style up. I've never been under the hood of the latter body style. The 05 was a fist body style still. I was quite jealous when they offered the V8 in the newer ones.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe they changed quite a bit in 07 when they changed the body style up. I've never been under the hood of the latter body style. The 05 was a fist body style still. I was quite jealous when they offered the V8 in the newer ones.
Yep, also sometimes wished for a V8, but V6 was only option in 2002 when I bought my DealerDemo 2001 SportTracJob2;
was really wanting an F150, but they wouldn't fit in my garage & wasn't keeping a new vehicle outside thru RockyMtn blizzards.
Initially had 10kMiles on the clock, still holding its own with original Engine+Tranny at 250kMiles.
Definite weaknesses+quirks, but has suited my needs, proved worthy with good maintainence & relatively minor reliability upgrades.

Early 2001 SportTracs (Job1) of course had the 4.0L~SOHC & old variable IntakeManifold shaped like a pretzel; lots of initial issues.
Later 2001 SportTracs (Job2) again had V6~4.0L~SOHC with new IntakeManifold+ValveCovers+MetricOilFilter, moved OilStick to left & OilFill to right.
2002~2003 SportTracs still basicly Job2s with some improvements: better TimingTensioners, DiscBrakes replaced rear DrumBrakes.
2004~2005 SportTracs still had same 4.0L~SOHC Block & 5r55e Tranny, but many changes: new HybridElectronicControl\HEC PCM+Cluster+Harness+...
2006 model year got skipped, assuming to retool the Louisville KY assembly plant.
2007~2010 SportTracs as you noted had V6~4.0L~SOHC or V8~5.0L 4.6L , new version of 5r55 Tranny without DipStick, new Frame+Body,+Interior...

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
2007~2010 SportTracs as you noted had V6~4.0L~SOHC or V8~5.0L, new version of 5r55 Tranny without DipStick, new Frame+Body,+Interior...
2nd gen Sport Trac never had the 5.0 v8, but it did get the 4.6

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I was meaning that the fuel in the tank outside the pump doesn't necessarily cool the pump, I was saying the cooling is done inside the pump not outside... it is very true that the less fuel you have the more heat is built up so there's a limit to this, in a return system pressurizing the fuel creates heat which is returned to the tank then cycled back through the pump increasing the fuel temp and so forth... I think that's the biggest reason for what people say... in short you aren't going to kill your fuel pump if you get below 1/4 tank occasionally, you "might" shorten the life of the pump if you drive reasonable distances (heat has to build up) and never fill over 1/4 tank...

Jet fuel is basically kerosene isn't it? which is similar to diesel and might foam up? That and being in the air relying on air speed to keep it up and the engine loaded sure changes the dynamics of the situation, as well as the pressure inside (and/or outside...) the fuel tank :).

There's debatable things in there, myself I try not to stress on some things I might have in the past, but then again I have 6 vehicles that currently run for just me and the wife so I'm not relying on one anymore...
It depends on the fuel. JP-4 was gasoline based. JP-5, JP-8, and Jet A are Kerosene based, which is more refined than diesel but close enough that you can run it in a diesel engine if the engine is setup correctly. It also doesn’t foam up like diesel. Probably because it’s more refined.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
See me too. I have always been a manual trans guy. The Sport Trac was literally my first RBV with an auto besides my first car which was a 63 Fairlane with a built C6. It didn't get a chance to need one before it was taken away for me being a dumb teenager. So it was more of a question for me. The wife's focus is an auto but it had the trans worked on twice since we got it in 14 and only has 40k miles. All warranty work but on the paperwork it said both time fluid drained and replaced. I'm planning on following maintenance guides on my 2020 because I've heard the 10 speed is sensitive to dirty fluid. My dad's friend passed away about 3 years ago so don't have him to smell my trans fluid anymore haha
I would question whether your Focus is a true automatic or if it's the problematic dual clutch manual they put in them from around 2011 to 2016 or so. They were manual transmissions but were shifted like an automatic by the computer and solenoids.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals