• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Not my Ranger, but…

I went over and checked out my uncle’s 2010 Ranger. He offered it to me for a very reasonable price. He’s got a new Ranger on order.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I drove the 99. Aside from a trip around the block a few days ago, this was the first time it was driven in over 1.5 years. I parked it back then with a fresh oil change and a nearly full tank of gas. Oil still looks good and same gas. Drove the ~30 miles to my parents house flawlessly. Aside from that I've been slowly cleaning the interior over the last week. Today was spent trying to fix a 4-wheeler so I can use it to get a nother deer in the freezer after Thanksgiving.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The newest addition to the family...
20221120_072416.jpg
20221120_072356.jpg

@85_Ranger4x4 what's the best Bronco forum?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
bronco6g.com is by far the best.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well, I sure did something to the '97 today... likely "technically" totaled but I'll fix it... Rear ended a Tacoma earlier today, did a number to the Ranger but the Tacoma probably just needs a rear bumper or some massaging on the rear frame horns and probably a new tailgate (minor dents but cheaper to get a new one likely...). The Ranger on the other hand will need a radiator, grill, front bumper (I'll wait till I find one), some massaging on the hood hinges, some tweaking on the core support and the passenger fender, some headlights or turn signals at least and apparently the timing belt skipped a tooth or something since it won't start and sounds funny cranking. I'm also guessing the drivers side motor mount went since the engine went far enough forward for the oil filter to hit the motor mount bracket... It's currently sitting on a trailer at my brothers house, I'll get a radiator and timing belt and fix it over there then drive it home hopefully on Friday. Towed it there with a 2500 Chevy van with a 4.8L, that van is a trooper... The important thing about it is the guy with his wife and kid in the Tacoma were all fine and me and the wife are both fine, we're a little sore from seatbelts and me from pushing on the steering wheel... we had to be going about 10mph when it happened I guess. I found out they moved the inertia switch to the other side of the passenger floorboard, so there's that...

I have a couple pics, not in the mood yet...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Well, I sure did something to the '97 today... likely "technically" totaled but I'll fix it... Rear ended a Tacoma earlier today, did a number to the Ranger but the Tacoma probably just needs a rear bumper or some massaging on the rear frame horns and probably a new tailgate (minor dents but cheaper to get a new one likely...). The Ranger on the other hand will need a radiator, grill, front bumper (I'll wait till I find one), some massaging on the hood hinges, some tweaking on the core support and the passenger fender, some headlights or turn signals at least and apparently the timing belt skipped a tooth or something since it won't start and sounds funny cranking. I'm also guessing the drivers side motor mount went since the engine went far enough forward for the oil filter to hit the motor mount bracket... It's currently sitting on a trailer at my brothers house, I'll get a radiator and timing belt and fix it over there then drive it home hopefully on Friday. Towed it there with a 2500 Chevy van with a 4.8L, that van is a trooper... The important thing about it is the guy with his wife and kid in the Tacoma were all fine and me and the wife are both fine, we're a little sore from seatbelts and me from pushing on the steering wheel... we had to be going about 10mph when it happened I guess. I found out they moved the inertia switch to the other side of the passenger floorboard, so there's that...

I have a couple pics, not in the mood yet...
2500 van with a 4.8? That's a new one 🤔

Sorry to hear, at least everyone's alright!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The chevy vans only came with a 4.8L or 6.0L, no 5.3L... so yes, a 2500 van with a full floater (I think, pretty sure I looked...) 14 bolt rear axle, a 4L80 transmission and a 4.8L, was a plumbing van, got it a few years ago for $2500 down the street from my work... it's a bulletproof combo, little underpowered but not bad...

On the positive side, only a 3 day work week so 3 days of driving the '98 V8 Explorer at 16mpg vs 23mpg won't hurt too much, only about $200 in parts to get I think so far... we'll see on Friday...

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
I drive a 2500 with 4.8 for a work van. Solid good working van

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
big temperature drop, corrected the air pressure in tires on both the escape & the ranger. The escape was off the most, but those tires hold a larger volume of air so id expect that. Transferred 400# of softner salt back into the bed of the ranger in case we get any substantial snowfall.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully I’m doing some junkyard shopping today. Figure I have today and tomorrow to do it then I have to get back home. Also hopefully I’ll finally manage to get a driveshaft for the F-150.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Polished out the headlights. Found a product that I can actually recommend.

3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System

Comes with 2 grits of sanding discs, a "refining disc", a buffing pad, a holder for the discs to use in drill, and a little rubbing compound. Mounted it up in my 1/2" chuck corded drill and spent an hour or less to knock out both headlights. Don't need a 1/2" chuck drill, but it's the only one I have with an auxiliary handle which was nice for handling and control. Once buffed I applied a little spray on wax to hopefully keep them looking fresh a little longer.

No before and after pics. I didn't put a lot of effort into getting it superdetailed and cleaned, just getting it to where light is on the road. The area that I used the kit on is atleast as clear as when they were new. Another day I might pull the headlights and marker assemblies and do a thorough cleaning.

For $35 at the local autoparts store I think it was a prety good deal, and I don't mind repeating again in a year or two at that price. If one were going to do it a lot they could probably piece together their own kit online for less per light cleaned.

Liked it enough that I went and bought another kit to drop off at the parents house for dad to do it on mom's car sometime soon.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bronco6g.com is by far the best.
Only when I need to look something up.

I can't stand the "community"... Or lack thereof over there. Everybody is so mind boggling negative it is maddening.

BII corral is OK but there are only like three of us over there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing to the Ranger, but I finally got a rear driveshaft for the F-150!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Tomorrow may land a few more junkyard goodies, then it’s time to load up and head home

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Polished out the headlights. Found a product that I can actually recommend.

3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System

Comes with 2 grits of sanding discs, a "refining disc", a buffing pad, a holder for the discs to use in drill, and a little rubbing compound. Mounted it up in my 1/2" chuck corded drill and spent an hour or less to knock out both headlights. Don't need a 1/2" chuck drill, but it's the only one I have with an auxiliary handle which was nice for handling and control. Once buffed I applied a little spray on wax to hopefully keep them looking fresh a little longer.

No before and after pics. I didn't put a lot of effort into getting it superdetailed and cleaned, just getting it to where light is on the road. The area that I used the kit on is atleast as clear as when they were new. Another day I might pull the headlights and marker assemblies and do a thorough cleaning.

For $35 at the local autoparts store I think it was a prety good deal, and I don't mind repeating again in a year or two at that price. If one were going to do it a lot they could probably piece together their own kit online for less per light cleaned.

Liked it enough that I went and bought another kit to drop off at the parents house for dad to do it on mom's car sometime soon.
That kit may be different than the others I’ve used and what others have used. Meaning the head light lens might stay that way. The ones I’ve used were maybe good for a year unless you clear coated the lenses. Without a protective coating, they just haze over again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals