• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That rag covering roughly half the radiator is PERFECT for the winter apparently... last late summer/fall I flushed the cooling system, put in a new Motorcraft thermostat and switched the heater core hoses to try that which helped but not much... being a Lima under 50F the temp needle barely moved so barely staying in closed loop fuel control most likely since the fuel mileage drops almost 10% when it's cold...

Anywho, this morning it was about 35F, the temp gauge went up to where it should be within about 4 miles and I had heat all the way to work and home... I'd pull the fan but then there's times like my way home tonight where it took 20 minutes to drive 3 miles... all in 45-55mph zone... stupid rubber neckers...
Covering the radiator with a rag....

Is that over the grill?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
a guy i used to work with would put a piece of cardboard between the radiator and the grill on his van because it wouldn't get warm in the coastal north carolina winters around camp lejuene

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
a guy i used to work with would put a piece of cardboard between the radiator and the grill on his van because it wouldn't get warm in the coastal north carolina winters around camp lejuene
I’ve done the cardboard trick on another vehicle. The trick here is remembering to remove it since the weather likes to bounce around so much. Darn near over heated the engine a time or two because I forgot.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Covering the radiator with a rag....

Is that over the grill?
Nope, directly ziptied to the radiator... year before last I ziptied a piece of cardboard over half the radiator which worked fine, now I decided to step it up a notch... I went with half the radiator to give it some surface area to cover temperature variances outside and to help in bad traffic...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Ranger rolled 209k this tank. Still solid and i qould drive it across the country if i had to

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My dad’s 99 has somewhere well above 200k, pretty sure it’s around 250k on a 4.0 OHV, I was jealous because it ran better than my identical 2000 that had like 168k

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I figure i have an easy 100k left on my little 3.0, at least. I am thinking of draining the trans fluid and relacing though to see if i can smooth out the shift feel a little. Its not hard to shift or anything but just feels like it is not as smooth as it probably once was.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Instead of a piece of cardboard covering half of the radiator, I recommend a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in the center to allow roughly half the radiator to be exposed. That way the airflow and air loading that the fan sees is not out of balance. Not a big deal, but over enough time it can damage the fan or fan clutch or bearing on the water pump. The cardboard with a hole in the center is how we always did it in the frozen tundra of ND where I grew up.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Hauled home 11 pallets, torn them apart with a hammer and my hands..always done it this way. Once again used the tailgate as a work bench to cut it it up for fireword.

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Instead of a piece of cardboard covering half of the radiator, I recommend a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in the center to allow roughly half the radiator to be exposed. That way the airflow and air loading that the fan sees is not out of balance. Not a big deal, but over enough time it can damage the fan or fan clutch or bearing on the water pump. The cardboard with a hole in the center is how we always did it in the frozen tundra of ND where I grew up.
I pondered that but decided against it when I reminded myself that the only "shroud" on a 4 cylinder manual transmission Ranger without A/C is a piece of plastic over the top of the fan saying "Caution Fan! cooling system not designed for air conditioning" or something like that... the fan is like 2" or so from the radiator so the loading shouldn't be much different, plus part of why I used cloth this time around for some flow. But yes, in something with an actual proper fan with shroud I could see the fan loading could be uneven although I'm not too convinced it would be significant...

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hauled home 11 pallets, torn them apart with a hammer and my hands..always done it this way. Once again used the tailgate as a work bench to cut it it up for fireword.
Is that picture of a Tesla? :LOL:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I figure i have an easy 100k left on my little 3.0, at least. I am thinking of draining the trans fluid and relacing though to see if i can smooth out the shift feel a little. Its not hard to shift or anything but just feels like it is not as smooth as it probably once was.
How often are you changing the fluid? I would recommend 60,000 miles maximum between changes. 30,000 miles being optimal, even with a manual transmission.

If it’s an automatic and you have never changed the fluid, I would recommend a triple drain and fill asap. Drain and fill with a filter change. Drive it for a bit, drain and fill again. Drive it. And do a final drain and fill with a filter.

It sounds like you have a manual though.

The reason there is so many transmission shops out there with a thriving business is because people either do what their manual tells them or they just completely ignore it all together. 30,000/60,000 fluid changes would run most of them out of business.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
How often are you changing the fluid? I would recommend 60,000 miles maximum between changes. 30,000 miles being optimal, even with a manual transmission.

If it’s an automatic and you have never changed the fluid, I would recommend a triple drain and fill asap. Drain and fill with a filter change. Drive it for a bit, drain and fill again. Drive it. And do a final drain and fill with a filter.

It sounds like you have a manual though.

The reason there is so many transmission shops out there with a thriving business is because people either do what their manual tells them or they just completely ignore it all together. 30,000/60,000 fluid changes would run most of them out of business.
Have you had a UOA done on any trans fluid you've changed? I'm planning on doing mine at 60k and then sending it to Blackstone. Although.. with all the hauling I've done with the truck perhaps I should do it at 45k.. obviously I wanna keep the fluid in tip-top shape but I don't wanna be wasting a bunch of money either. Only about half of the fluid drains from the 10r80s.. so I was planning on doing the triple drain & fill rigamarole to get it as fresh as possible.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Have you had a UOA done on any trans fluid you've changed? I'm planning on doing mine at 60k and then sending it to Blackstone. Although.. with all the hauling I've done with the truck perhaps I should do it at 45k.. obviously I wanna keep the fluid in tip-top shape but I don't wanna be wasting a bunch of money either. Only about half of the fluid drains from the 10r80s.. so I was planning on doing the triple drain & fill rigamarole to get it as fresh as possible.
I’ve never did an analysis done on the 2011.

I have yet to do the transmission on the 2019 and it needs to be done. I wanted to do a change at 30,000 miles but life keeps getting in the way and the girlfriend is running the $h!t out of it. So I need to get it done soon while she is on the mend. So it has about 53,000 miles on it now.

If I think about it, I can get a sample sent into Blackstone. I meant to get a sample of the oil but forgot until it was too late. I’ve been feeling like a one-armed wall paper hanger lately.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals