• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I drove it to Lowes to get a new chain for the chainsaw, but they were out of stock. I'll have to figure out who makes this particular model of Craftsman chainsaw and track down a chain that will fit.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I drove it to Lowes to get a new chain for the chainsaw, but they were out of stock. I'll have to figure out who makes this particular model of Craftsman chainsaw and track down a chain that will fit.
What kind is it? Tractor supply or ace should have one.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
20221023_122634.jpg
all cleaned up. Have to admit it's the first time it's been cleaned up since before I met Eric on the Traverse. Poor thing

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Almost all Craftsman saws are made by Poulan if that helps any...

Just got back from taking the '90 Ranger wheeling in Christmas Valley Oregon again... went well, only one Ranger related snafoo... had a passenger and we were doing some spirited dune running and over one spot there was a loud BLAM and a shattering noise... one of the slider panes exploded... turns out the passenger seat back (Explorer buckets in a '90 regular cab... not enough room...) had been rubbing over the years and wore through the material to metal, looks like a while ago but hasn't been an issue until we hit just the right bump with just the right sized guy in the passenger seat :). I'll have to grab one or two next time I hit the yard on half off weekend... for now I'll put in the lexan slider I made for the last window that that seat took out a decade ago (just changed the window in 2020...) Other than that the power steering seems weaker than it's been but I haven't checked the fluid level yet... the radius arm bushings are toast but I just need to build extended arms to fix that and other stuff...

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Almost all Craftsman saws are made by Poulan if that helps any...

Just got back from taking the '90 Ranger wheeling in Christmas Valley Oregon again... went well, only one Ranger related snafoo... had a passenger and we were doing some spirited dune running and over one spot there was a loud BLAM and a shattering noise... one of the slider panes exploded... turns out the passenger seat back (Explorer buckets in a '90 regular cab... not enough room...) had been rubbing over the years and wore through the material to metal, looks like a while ago but hasn't been an issue until we hit just the right bump with just the right sized guy in the passenger seat :). I'll have to grab one or two next time I hit the yard on half off weekend... for now I'll put in the lexan slider I made for the last window that that seat took out a decade ago (just changed the window in 2020...) Other than that the power steering seems weaker than it's been but I haven't checked the fluid level yet... the radius arm bushings are toast but I just need to build extended arms to fix that and other stuff...
Pictures or it didn't happen haha

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It was like 11pm Friday night so no pictures, we stopped so he could get some glass pieces out of his shirt and I got out and laughed... :) Good times.

Apparently the Ranger has decent travel for the janky setup... I'm using exactly all of the up travel in the front shocks (the upper scraper seal deal isn't hurt from overcompressing). The bump stops (IE firewall and fenders) are good indicators you hit hard enough... I need to finish what I planned on doing like 10 years ago with the radius arms... I think I even have everything to do it aside for wire to wire up the welder and welder tanks so I don't have to use flux core...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Oh and I ended up fixing something on the Ranger while out wheeling :), people were complaining about me only having license plate lights then it occurred to me that I had the bed off a while ago to change the shackle mount... turns out that's why the turn signals didn't work too!

The previously broken rear window was different than my current one... I took the piece of plexi out of the old one (haven't thrown it out yet, it's only been 2 years, leave me alone... LOL), so I did what any good redneck would do and held that piece of plexi in with two pieces of Gorilla tape... might add a third along the bottom, haven't decided yet... still wanted the other slider pane to slide...

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I put gas in it and I changed the oil at like 154,000. I think it's due for an oil change soon. Who knows. I do like the ranger more than my s10. 4 banger ranger does have some sack, not much but some. That 2.2 s10 I had even with a new clutch could barely get out of the driveway.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals