• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Winter storage prep started today. Opened the radiator petcock and took out the block drains to get all the water out of the system. Funny that after racing all season and not adding one drop the water was crystal clear that came out of it. Also started the "to do list"for the 2023 season. New fuel cell and lines, roll bar, safety harness, rear shocks all that's on the list so far.

2022-01.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I put it to work and may have over loaded it this time. I had the tires pumped up to 50 psi but control was a bit touchy on the highway.

50 30# blocks. 6 deep with 5 rows on the bottom and three rows on the top plus a couple extra on the sides over the axle and 6 bags of rock that are supposed to be 48#.

Unloaded

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
At least the weather cooled off for the heavy lifting. She was squatting a little.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
At least the weather cooled off for the heavy lifting. She was squatting a little.
This was the warmest day in about two weeks. I was sweating like a pig anyway. If I calculated the weight correctly, that was 1,788 pounds I pushed on a flat car to the register, loaded into the truck, and unloaded once I got home. The springs are rated as 1,750# springs and I have stuff under the platform that I have no idea what the total weight is. She was riding heavy for sure but took it like a champ.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
we used to strap ladders end to end so we could paint the eves on the three and four story condos on emerald isle in north carolina. and the wind didn't help keep the ladders in place. they slid till you got weight on them, which meant someone stood on the bottom till you got about halfway up and then they were semi steady and when you got to the top, someone had to get about 1/3 of the way up with you to stop them from flexing so much.

but, 8 bucks an hour under the table was a lot of money back in the 90s.
We get paid by the foot, so we generally don't mind using some very-not-osha techniques of getting stuff done.

Technically, osha standards tell you that hanging a piece of gutter while standing on a ladder is a no-go. Impossible to keep 3 points of contact, can't carry a load up a ladder, not supposed to have a tool belt on while climbing a ladder... blah blah blah.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I was in tech school the carpentry teacher taught the kids how to walk an A frame so they didn't have to keep getting down and moving it. They would have ladder walking races in the parking lot with 10' ladders.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You probably didn’t have to wear elbow and knee guards, and a helmet.

:eek:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
When we were installing larger ( wide, over 20' ) awnings, we would put two ladders about 2-3' apart, one guy would go up a ladder secure awning to wall and step over to the next ladder. Whoever was on the ground, usually a new guy, would have to move the ladder over to the next spot, 2-3' away from the other ladder , and so on. We would literally go up one end and not touch ground until the other end was secure. Sometime a guy would grab a rafter or something firm, and the ground guy would have to adjust the ladder, lol. we had a saying - "OSHA Would NOT approve"

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
When I was in tech school the carpentry teacher taught the kids how to walk an A frame so they didn't have to keep getting down and moving it. They would have ladder walking races in the parking lot with 10' ladders.
We love ladder-walking lol. Scares the hell out of old ladys.

It IS hard on those middle braces that keep the ladder open... but... the increase in productivity pays for the extra wear and tear in no time 😂

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I remember years back we had a 80-90' piece that was 4 story's in the air. The only way to hang the piece of gutter was for the 3 of us to carry the piece between us and the ladder on our way up, rather than between the ladder and the building. (We have standoffs on the tops of our ladders so we're nice and sturdy and there's room for the gutter, like pictured... only we don't look that goofy)

Ladder-Max-use2.jpg

When we got to the top, our boss had to run along and one-by-one push the tops of our ladders outwards from the building so we could then wiggle the piece of gutter up and over the top of the ladder and the stand-off and slap it on the fascia lol.

That was something I'd rather not do again lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I remember years back we had a 80-90' piece that was 4 story's in the air. The only way to hang the piece of gutter was for the 3 of us to carry the piece between us and the ladder on our way up, rather than between the ladder and the building. (We have standoffs on the tops of our ladders so we're nice and sturdy and there's room for the gutter, like pictured... only we don't look that goofy)

View attachment 83404

When we got to the top, our boss had to run along and one-by-one push the tops of our ladders outwards from the building so we could then wiggle the piece of gutter up and over the top of the ladder and the stand-off and slap it on the fascia lol.

That was something I'd rather not do again lol
We would always run into the "gutter guys" at a lot of job sites. Usually to work on the same areas of the house. Gutter guys want the edge of the roof, and the awning guys want to go right up under the soffit. We usually would help each other out or share ladders. LOL, fun times.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I test drove it in an attempt to figure out what the strange humming/howling noise that occurs only while decelerating from 70 to 60 mph in 4th gear. It appears to be comin from the driver's side of the engine compartment. I can't think of a thing that's located there that would make the kind of noise. So, the noise must be coming from somewhere else and it just sounds like it is coming from there.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
We would always run into the "gutter guys" at a lot of job sites. Usually to work on the same areas of the house. Gutter guys want the edge of the roof, and the awning guys want to go right up under the soffit. We usually would help each other out or share ladders. LOL, fun times.
Not too too many house awnings up this way, either the fixed kind or the kind that you can roll up.

Screened in porches are they way to go up here. It would be too easy for the black flies to carry someone away from under an awning lol.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
When we were installing larger ( wide, over 20' ) awnings, we would put two ladders about 2-3' apart, one guy would go up a ladder secure awning to wall and step over to the next ladder. Whoever was on the ground, usually a new guy, would have to move the ladder over to the next spot, 2-3' away from the other ladder , and so on. We would literally go up one end and not touch ground until the other end was secure. Sometime a guy would grab a rafter or something firm, and the ground guy would have to adjust the ladder, lol. we had a saying - "OSHA Would NOT approve"
that sounds so much faster than our ladder days. you guys have someone smart working there, ha ha ha. obviously, we are not :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals