• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the A/C working! :yahoo:

Went to put my new gmrs in it. :woot:

And discovered the heater core is now leaking. :bawling:
AND IT WAS JUST LOOSE HEATER HOSES!!!

I suppose the new hoses had to take a set. Went to pull the hoses off and they were barely tight. I know I had them tight.

Not that it is hard to replace but color me happy to return the $50 heater core.

Installed my breather manifold. Got the rear diff and transfer case connected. I thought the transmission would have a vent tube. But didn't find one. So I ran a hose to the front diff and got that connected. Not easy to get pictures where I mounted it between the bed and cab.

View attachment 80571

View attachment 80572

Also made some progress on my new spare tire carrier. It's going to swing out and down to ground level. Wait til Friday for a better idea of how it's going to work. I should get a lot more done then and it will be easier to see the concept. The arm on the right pivots at 45 degrees on the bumper. The tire will be mounted to a plate welded to the left arm, which pivots at the top of the right arm. I anticipate 3 bolts to lock it in place in the stowed position.
View attachment 80573

View attachment 80574

View attachment 80575
M5OD vents thru the shift tower... kinda hard to do much with it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i put those new window visors on from the other thread. the ones that go into the window track area. they look nice on the truck. no pic though

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My dad pulled the intake and heads of of my blown 3.0 yesterday. Rear piston on DS was disintegrated. I knew it was toast, but dad thought he would "take a look see" I'll get a few pics when the weather eases up. It's been raining every afternoon from 3-6 almost everyday for a week now. Dad has WAY more free time than I do, so he's going to try to get some of my projects moved along. Starting with the Ranger.
As promised, pictures:
20220809_192622.jpg

20220809_192617.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
#6 piston has left the chat…
We were expecting to find the broken valve stem or something in the cylinder. We couldn't even find the piston ;missingteeth;

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I finally got the heads on the engine for the green Ranger today. Still have to get pushrods and rockers on, but I dusted off the heads, put the valves in and together and got them bolted down. Pretty sure I didn’t mess it up, lol. Gonna get them finished up and get the lower intake on tomorrow and we’ll see if I get anything else done on it. Friday is a wash, gonna go to the farm show with friends and a weekend of R&R at the GFs.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I drove it to Walmart to buy a tube of form-a-gasket, but my head spun around a few times when I noticed Walmart charges $11 for a 1oz tube of it. So, I go back in my Ranger and went to Autozone where it was $5.89 for a 3oz tube.

And while I was in Autozone I was taken back at the different choices of RTV. Back in the 80s we had black RTV, blue RTV, and high temperature RTV, sealant numbers 1, 2, and 3, a tacky sealant to hold gaskets in place and a shellack. That's it. Now there must be 40 varieties of the stuff. There was a different RTV product for sealing up the cooling system, gear oil, valve covers and oil pans, plus RTV in a rainbow assortment of colors. Now figuring out what gasket stuff you need is like trying to decide what flavor of ice cream you want while you walk up to the 50 ft long freezer full of different ice cream and popsicle products at WinCo.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i spent a ton of time on google and ebay looking up cool ranger stuff. exhaust, sway bars, lowering stuff, etc. i wish i had normal front suspension instead of this torsion bar set up. it would be so easy to lower the truck and make it usable at the autocross.

and aftermarket sway bars are very expensive for rangers. i don't actually know what size are on my truck but if i had to buy aftermarkets, man oh man do they cost some dollars.

i am thinking of a 50 series flowmaster to try and get the sound i want from the exhaust. it has no sound now which is not terrible but i like to hear the exhaust when i rev it up. still stuck in the old days on that i suppose. straight pipes on my 65 mustang in school and then a stinger on karmann ghia in the army, straight pipes on my 89 325i autocross car, plus everything i put on my previous vehicles. i am even thinking of a borla system for my titan because they sound awesome on v8s

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The front sway bars on V8 Explorers seem giant, I don't know if they're any bigger than Ranger versions...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I had a front bar from a 2001 Sport Track on my 2000 Ranger. it was so stiff I removed it.

FYI 98+ coil spring sway bars are a couple inches wider than torsion bar types.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Now figuring out what gasket stuff you need is like trying to decide what flavor of ice cream you want while you walk up to the 50 ft long freezer full of different ice cream and popsicle products at WinCo.

I feel that. They are are for very specific instances.

I use Red High temp on pretty much everything. I have a couple of tubes of Ultra Black, for oil contact areas. I use them interchangeably.

If you squirt a bit of RTV into the cap before you screw it on the RVT seals the cap to the tube and your tube in not all dried up next time you go for it. Ever since someone told me that I have been using the same couple tubes of RTV for years. Instead of buying a new tube every other time I needed it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
i spent a ton of time on google and ebay looking up cool ranger stuff. exhaust, sway bars, lowering stuff, etc. i wish i had normal front suspension instead of this torsion bar set up. it would be so easy to lower the truck and make it usable at the autocross.

and aftermarket sway bars are very expensive for rangers. i don't actually know what size are on my truck but if i had to buy aftermarkets, man oh man do they cost some dollars.

i am thinking of a 50 series flowmaster to try and get the sound i want from the exhaust. it has no sound now which is not terrible but i like to hear the exhaust when i rev it up. still stuck in the old days on that i suppose. straight pipes on my 65 mustang in school and then a stinger on karmann ghia in the army, straight pipes on my 89 325i autocross car, plus everything i put on my previous vehicles. i am even thinking of a borla system for my titan because they sound awesome on v8s
So, there is a kit out there (or at least a good write up, think it was on the Explorer forums but I’ll have to dig around if you’re really interested) about converting to coil overs in the front and ditching the torsion bars on 98+, basically it was a set of coil overs and some weld on reinforcements for the shock tower, IIRC. Not exactly cheap, but effective.

95-97 Explorers use a 36mm front sway bar, 98-01 use a 34mm front sway bar. IIRC my 00 Ranger has a 26mm front sway bar. Well, had anyway, I have a 34mm that’s going in the front. Not sure what Rangers had for a rear sway bar, but I suspect it’s the same size as the one from the Explorer I used for a donor which was a 19mm. There may be other junkyard options.

My choptop had a Flowmaster 40 series and I kinda liked the sound. When I put headers on and had a new exhaust made (2.25” stainless, high flow cat, straight out the back) the muffler shop insisted on putting a Flowmaster 10 series on, which I was worried would be entirely too loud. Instead it’s rather quiet at idle and close to and only starts getting noisy when you’re on the throttle hard. I kinda liked the 40 series better. The V-8 Ranger that I built with and for dad I used a Magnaflow crossover muffler. It had a nice low grumble at idle and got a little louder than dad wanted when you got on it, but it sounded really, really nice. I’m planning on doing some kind of crossover muffler on my V-8 Ranger. Be nice to tamp the sound down a little more to make it more of a sleeper, but we’ll see how it goes. I’m also considering exhaust dumps after the cats for it but they are not cheap

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
So, there is a kit out there (or at least a good write up, think it was on the Explorer forums but I’ll have to dig around if you’re really interested) about converting to coil overs in the front and ditching the torsion bars on 98+, basically it was a set of coil overs and some weld on reinforcements for the shock tower, IIRC. Not exactly cheap, but effective.
that sounds like it would be too much work but let me have the link if you happen to find it. it might be cool to do.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I thought I saw that written up on this forum. Maybe the yellow SAS Ranger???

@Mr. Bossley did you convert from Torsion bars to Coil Springs???

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals