• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
20220807_181530.jpg

Got most of my bed rack on before it started to pour. Hopefully get the crossbars on tomorrow.. but.. supposed to pour so 🤷‍♀️ well get there eventually lol.

The rack is a haul-master 800lb universal job I snagged at hazard fraught. I ended up cutting 4" off the uprights so the crossbars would be at a reasonable height above the cab. This required enlarging 2 holes per upright a hair and tapping them for m10x1.5.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced the door seals and positive battery cable.

Weatherman said 88 for a high today. I was thinking I was a wimp since it sure seemed a lot hotter than that. It was...

Screenshot_20220807-160156_Wunderground.jpg

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
After a good cleaning, I drove a 100 mile round trip to lassen national Park today. Even though it's hot, was a pleasant day to drive in the mountains.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know if I had a goat that was eating stuff like tractor seats, it wouldn’t last much longer.
He would be kabobs and gyros if it were mine.

Scott... I feel for you. I seriously don't want to spend that much effort to cut grass. Can you get a burn permit and do a controlled burn or something.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Before June I can burn what I want, problem is it's usually liquid about then... June to October is burn ban season... part of the problem is because of a beaver dam I haven't been able to mow it for 2 years, I found the dam this winter so the water level is down now...

Weather was a mere 100F by 4pm so I wire brushed and painted the tractor wheel then mounted the better of the two tires (they're both screwed...), there was no chance of that tire sealing without a tube with the amount of rust in the wheel... the Bridgestone innertube is old enough to have a BS shield so you know it's new... So what do you do when the tractor's up and going again? Continue on where you left off... went all fine and good until the last little bit, sunk pretty good, diff lock only moved me 2" and the front axle went straight down... got the wife and the '00 Explorer which promptly got stuck, got that pulled out with the '90 Ranger, put her on the tractor and me in the Ranger, that got the tractor back 4' then the drivers side of the Ranger sunk to the axles, pulled that back with the Explorer, pulled the brush hog off the tractor then moved the Ranger over 10' and things started to work out... that's the worst stuck I've done on the tractor I think...

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I finally made a positive ID on what I thought was a vacuum leak due to a problem I've been having for months that I couldn't figure out.

I posted about it here:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
The rack is a haul-master 800lb universal job I snagged at hazard fraught. I ended up cutting 4" off the uprights so the crossbars would be at a reasonable height above the cab. This required enlarging 2 holes per upright a hair and tapping them for m10x1.5.
how do you like that rack? i was going to get one for my ranger but i am not sure if it will fit my stepside. i figured i was going to have to cut it a bit to make it fit the 46" wide bed. and than i found it at tractor supply for less so i might get it from them instead.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
how do you like that rack? i was going to get one for my ranger but i am not sure if it will fit my stepside. i figured i was going to have to cut it a bit to make it fit the 46" wide bed. and than i found it at tractor supply for less so i might get it from them instead.
I like it. I don't think I'd regularly load it up with 800lbs lol but I'm sure it'll haul my canoe around forever just fine. It would be relatively easy to modify to accept brackets for an offroad jack and other things too which is cool.

It would fit your stepside just fine. Your bed could be a foot wide and you'd still be able to get everything bolted together.. but it would be no big deal cutting the cross bars narrower If you wanted. Metal chop saw makes quick work.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
that is what i was hoping to hear.

i only need it to pick up lumber from the store every once in a while. the ranger bed is longer than the bed on my crew cab full size but its still to short for 16 footers. i need to a get some 16 and 20 foot 4x4s and 2x8s to start the other car port

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Metal chop saw makes quick work.
Shouldn't being a standard abrasive cutting saw/disc with aluminum. The abrasive generates too much heat, and the aluminum is too soft and can bind up the cutting disk and the disk with shatter. Should use a cold cut saw or band saw, something that uses teeth to cut instead of abrasive material. They do make cut off wheels specifically for aluminum, but I have not tried them and do not know how common they are to see in store.

Just incase anyone was not away, it can become extremely dangerous very fast.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
They do make cut off wheels specifically for aluminum, but I have not tried them and do not know how common they are to see in store.
Very common.
They look just like a wood blade, but are specifically for non ferrous metals. I used them all the time when I worked for an Awning Company. Chop saw for steel, metal cutting blade for aluminum. Cutting steel with the non-ferrous blade will chip the teeth.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Shouldn't being a standard abrasive cutting saw/disc with aluminum. The abrasive generates too much heat, and the aluminum is too soft and can bind up the cutting disk and the disk with shatter. Should use a cold cut saw or band saw, something that uses teeth to cut instead of abrasive material. They do make cut off wheels specifically for aluminum, but I have not tried them and do not know how common they are to see in store.

Just incase anyone was not away, it can become extremely dangerous very fast.
No bandsaw available and wasn't gonna try with a Sawzall lol.

I was suuuuuuuper easy on the chop saw though, didn't wanna clog up the disk. Never thought about it being possible to bind up though.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Very common.
They look just like a wood blade, but are specifically for non ferrous metals. I used them all the time when I worked for an Awning Company. Chop saw for steel, metal cutting blade for aluminum. Cutting steel with the non-ferrous blade will chip the teeth.

I was talking about an abrasive cut off wheel for aluminum.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No bandsaw available and wasn't gonna try with a Sawzall lol.

I was suuuuuuuper easy on the chop saw though, didn't wanna clog up the disk. Never thought about it being possible to bind up though.

I would rather cut it by hand with a hack saw, aluminum cuts easily enough. I also have a jig saw with metal cutting blades I use for thicker AL.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I bought the HF porta-band plug in awhile back, works well for both steel and aluminum. One of the few HF tools I have anything good to say about. I am a bit handy with a sawzall too, I mostly run carbide tipped metal blades (Diablo) if I’m cutting metal with the sawzall or carbide tipped wood blades if I’m cutting wood, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals