• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Doing final preparations on the ranger as I get my U-Haul trailer Monday morning to start loading for my move to shasta county.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I did a bunch of mowing and rearranging my junk around the yard the last couple weekends, moved the '90 a couple times, moved some firewood with the '97 and towed the boat to the river (4 miles away...) with the '00 Explorer today which was successful, it'd be nice if the boat had a marine carburetor instead of whatever Edelbrock carb it has now but once it figured life out (been sitting since I think September...) it ran just fine, first time I've ran it with the Kodiak jet nozzle instead of whatever random old deflector nozzle it had before and it's much better... it no longer noticeably slows down when turning...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
according to the rumor mill Duratec engines last quite a while.
did you make it to Good Guys? I should have, stayed home to work on the Ranger.
No, had quite a bit going on here, local fair & all. With Bren on a layoff things have been a bit tight lately. I have been to that show in the past, it is awesome!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Doing final preparations on the ranger as I get my U-Haul trailer Monday morning to start loading for my move to shasta county.
Be sure to let us know how it goes and we love pics, lol

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Ordered cab corners for both of my trucks, rust repair to start while I'm on vacation

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing to the Ranger today but I did get the thrill of replacing a frozen like 2 month old caliper, 2 month old trashed brake pads, rotor and brake hose on the GFs car this morning so she could get to work…

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
used the ranger to go buy a 32mm socket so we could remove the cv axle nut on the focus to let us change the steering knuckle and hub bearing assembly.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mom has been chirping about her Explorer, so yesterday I took time away from my projects to change the rear tie rod (warranty) and rear lower bushing/balljoint. 2002 Explorer. Actually manufactured 2/02 and factory 16” wheels (these specs will be important in a minute).

Jacked it up, pulled the old tie rod in the rear (I replaced these before and it came out easily). Took it up to the parts store to replace it under warranty with the one they ordered in. Looked right, swapped it out, took it back, put a dab of grease on it and went to put it in and… it doesn’t fit. I may or may not be able to hammer it in, but knowing that there was different ones from my previous experience where I got ones that didn’t specify when I bought them but when I tried to complain about them punching holes in the rims they were suddenly listed with a note that said 17” or larger rims only. So I took a step back and looked it up to find that this one I had just got said it was only for manufacture date of 3/02 and newer. Crap. So now I have to track down the correct part AGAIN.

At least I can punch out the bushing, right? Well, the pesky ball joint center came out but the outer sleeve is seized tight as can be. Ball joint press wasn’t moving it and a large drift and 4# sledge didn’t either. I was about ready to pull out the torch when my buddy told me to sit down and drink a beer and we’ll deal with it today, so I’ll try running a couple beads of weld in the sleeve to shrink it and see if it will come out.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So after a lot of searching, I think the correct part for the tie rod for the Explorer is Dorman 523-009, it’s for to 3/02 Explorers and 15mm end. Comes up as a control arm in Autozone’s system. The other one that I had got has a 17mm end, which is why it didn’t fit.

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Today I changed the thermostat. being laid up with sciatic nerve really sucks
Took truck for a little drive to make sure thermstat was working and put a few miles on this motor 350 miles so far :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Finally got mom’s Explorer together. Tracked down and got the correct rear tie rod, welded the inside of the bushing sleeve and drove it out with my big “drift punch” (a large grade 5 bolt) and a 4# sledge. Got it all back together and a better tire on it. So it should be good for inspection now.

Then I gave my newly used tailgate a once over (removed as much loose rust as I could, oiled the seam and handle/latch workings, welded the broken hinge back on and put it on my F-150. Kinda feels weird having a tailgate that works easily and doesn’t feel like it’s going to fold like a soft taco if you step wrong.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I had to go get some pressure treated lumber for a front porch face-lift. This lumber yard... you pay inside... then drive into their warehouse and pull up to the bin you need. A couple guys in the warehouse had Rangers over the years and they were all up on my truck. Rangers don't always get the respect they deserve... so it was cool they were digging my Ranger.

20220715_091121.jpg

Looking at it I really need to level it up a bit. I just hate to fool with it because it rides good and no tire wear...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I had to go get some pressure treated lumber for a front porch face-lift. This lumber yard... you pay inside... then drive into their warehouse and pull up to the bin you need. A couple guys in the warehouse had Rangers over the years and they were all up on my truck. Rangers don't always get the respect they deserve... so it was cool they were digging my Ranger.

View attachment 78991

Looking at it I really need to level it up a bit. I just hate to fool with it because it rides good and no tire wear...
A little level and that thing would be preeetty much perfect looking. I really like the cap with the big solid windows.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals